BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea where you guys are buying your glass and your acrylic and poly. I go to industrial (and large volume) suppliers for both. Maybe the glass prices at my supplier are just super, but I can't believe they're the absolute best around. I've got images of some big glass panels in my office thread as well as the price I paid for them if I'm not mistaken.

Tempered glass is much stronger than regular plate, so I wouldn't be concerned with that aspect. If you have great prices on acrylic go with it of course.

I was just poking around but I remember as a kid having to get plexiglass for the garage windows because we always broke them and it was always way cheaper than glass. I've been wrong before though!

Darth,

Yeah those Vassbos. I have the 2 of the largest size ( 3 glass panels each) that they have. They're no longer listed on the website!

I'm worried they're being discontinued! :gah:

When I picked up my Bestas they no longer were carrying Vassbos. I was planning on getting those but ended up having to go with the glass doors instead. It worked out for me because I like the Glass better anyway once I saw them in person. A lot more viewing space.

When I picked up my Bestas they no longer were carrying Vassbos. I was planning on getting those but ended up having to go with the glass doors instead. It worked out for me because I like the Glass better anyway once I saw them in person. A lot more viewing space.

****! Too bad those bad boys are $50 a pop! That would be $300 compared to the $90 I spent on my vassbos! :gah:

Are there any examples of the silver frames of TOMBO doors being wrapped/painted black?

****! Too bad those bad boys are $50 a pop! That would be $300 compared to the $90 I spent on my vassbos! :gah:

Ya, I know. I felt the same way but my wife felt it more. When we got to IKEA she felt a lot better once she saw the glass doors. The price does and did suck but they worked out better for us in the end.

Maybe IKEA is coming out with new display doors! Fingers crossed!

I wouldn't mind, I believe TOMBOS, to have a long door to fit on the largest BESTAS!

I'm trying to make one out of the Vara door and an acrylic panel. Bought the stuff today, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Just A heads up for all you Besta lovers, I just found out that the larger Tombo glass doors are being discontinued! They still carry the 2 smaller versions but the large $50 one that's about 24' high that we all seem to use are on there way out. Stores still have some in stock but they don't appear on their website any more. I called and spoke to customer service and this is what they told me. I hope they're wrong. Also she had no information on any new product that will be replacing it. Its a sad day for the Besta. Get'em while you still can!

Hopefully they're replacing it with something better, because IMO, Tombo was not very well proportioned. I sit every day facing a wall mounted Besta above my desk and the Tombo proportions in relation to the Besta frame bother me all the time. Most obvious example: Different amount of visible overlap (inside reveal) on every side.

Hopefully they're replacing it with something better, because IMO, Tombo was not very well proportioned. I sit every day facing a wall mounted Besta above my desk and the Tombo proportions in relation to the Besta frame bother me all the time. Most obvious example: Different amount of visible overlap (inside reveal) on every side.

Im not sure what you mean. Do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

This isn't the best image to show it, but you can see the spacing is different from the door edge to the inner edge of the cabinet frame on bottom, top, left and right. The aspect ratio (relationship of width and height) is not the same for the door as it is for the cabinet cavities.

Anyway, I'm just speculating about something new. It could just be a seasonal production shift and glass supplier change, the same kind of thing that was (is?) limiting Detolf supply. I can't imagine IKEA not offering a contemporary glass option for covering Besta - it's a huge seller for them and the backbone of their media (family/living) room range.

Last edited:
I agree with a few of the guys here. Those Tombo Doors weren't the easiest to install correctly. While they look good from a distance, up close the proportions were off. I'm hoping they come up with something new for Bestas as far as glass doors.

Recently, I found this forum for some new ideas on upgrading my display. I bought a couple Bestas to replace my old curio cabinet. I ended purchasing the Dioder strips and found that half of them have a yellow tint. I went back to IKEA (45 min away) and bought another strip. Once I got home, I found something that I would like to share.

The white light strips have RU on the transformer where the yellow lights have UL. Just something to note so hopefully I can save you a trip.

A big thanks to everyone on here for being so detailed. It made my decisions so much easier. I'll have pictures when I finish.

Has anyone heard that tombo doors will be discontinued? I don't know about bestas though

Mentioned already a while back. Bestas are 90%+ of IKEA's family room business - they're a staple and they won't be getting rid of them any time soon. That said, some Besta/Inreda items have been discontinued in the past, such as the glass-covered flat wall.

Agreed, the Besta range won't go. It's a great system, so versatile.
That said there will always be changes to the products in the range.

I would be all over a one piece glass door that covered the two or three vertical cubes to allow for shelf adjustment which you can't do with the Vassbo or Tombo currently.

Back