BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know! My imagined optimal set-up would probably cost way too much. It would be much cheaper to go doorless in the collection room and keep it really clean. Setting up a Pax would be a breeze too.

I wish my only issue was dust. I have alot of nieces and nephews that dont understand the dont touch rule. Lol i gotta figure something out maybe ill pick em up a few at a time

How are people dealing with the Besta height? I am a pretty short guy (only 1M 70) and their height sort of worries me.. Detolf hight is to me pretty much perfect, 10 or 20 cm more may be okay too, but a Besta simply seems too tall for me...

Also, do the cabinets seem too big for 1/6 figures? (I only collect those)

On some pictures it looks badass with 1/6, but on others the figures look rediculously small in the cabinet...

How are people dealing with the Besta height? I am a pretty short guy (only 1M 70) and their height sort of worries me.. Detolf hight is to me pretty much perfect, 10 or 20 cm more may be okay too, but a Besta simply seems too tall for me...

Also, do the cabinets seem too big for 1/6 figures? (I only collect those)

On some pictures it looks badass with 1/6, but on others the figures look rediculously small in the cabinet...

:slap Just get them two cubes high then.

:slap Set yours up like the badass ones you've seen.

This is what I use...

doorlock_zps6d2c2b48.jpg

:rotfl

What locks did you get? Theres alot of diff kinds. Just curious what your using

Yes, there's a metric fu**ton of locks and sifting through them was more annoying than Collecterol trolling an IM thread. :lol J/k! :1-1:

Here's a link to the locks I went with and can confirm they properly fit and work for Detolfs. (I have seen locks for cabinet Besta units as well but I have not purchased them yet).

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131047218409

If you don't have a dremel I suggest you pick one up for the install since you'll need to precision cut into the base to install and sink the strike plate.

You'll also need a precision screwdriver for the tiny screws on the lock. :)

Big thanks to Pixel for helping me with this project.

Lock2_zps11e98aab.jpg

Lock1_zps19736342.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice install - BUT… What I was originally suggesting the other day was a much simpler install. :) Oops.

First attach the lock to the door on the bottom corner. Then remote the magnetic stopper from the wooden base. Then just screw the strike/lock plate to the Detolf, right on the wooden base surface, without cutting/dremeling or drilling anything - make sure to line up the plate with the locking mechanism. Now use a dremel or drill with a drill bit to cut/drill some of the wood in the slot in the plate. That's it. No need to counter-sink the entire plate because there's plenty of space under the glass for both the lock edge and plate.

Click through to Flickr to see a higher resolution image:

IKEA Detolf Elevated with Lock by 8 Pixelpiper 8, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice install - BUT… What I was originally suggesting the other day was a much simpler install. :) Oops.

First attach the lock to the door on the bottom corner. Then remote the magnetic stopper from the wooden base. Then just screw the strike/lock plate to the Detolf, right on the wooden base surface, without cutting/dremeling or drilling anything - make sure to line up the plate with the locking mechanism. Now use a dremel or drill with a drill bit to cut/drill some of the wood in the slot in the plate. That's it. No need to counter-sink the entire plate because there's plenty of space under the glass for both the lock edge and plate.

Click through to Flickr to see a higher resolution image:

IKEA Detolf Elevated with Lock by 8 Pixelpiper 8, on Flickr

Now you tell meh! :monkey4 Haha! Well that's typical for me, doing things the hard way :D

I've been putting off getting a Dremel for ages so this was a good excuse to finally get one.

WTF YANKEE?! :monkey4 :lol

:yess: :rotfl :hi5:

Thanks for the suggestion yank. Though it appears its been done easier lol

Yup! :lol

Ok, so I had 1 last lock to install on my final Detolf and figured I'd give Pixel's method a try. :D

The thickness of the strike plates included with the locks I bought off eBay are a little too thick, so simply screwing it into the base after removing the IKEA magnet doesn't work smoothly like sinking them in.

The bottom of the glass door barely clears the plate (grinds it's way across actually) and gets caught on the screw. Lifting the door will pop it up and over the screw to get it to open/close though.

Figured I'd mention this in case anyone used the link I posted to buy these specific locks. :)

All you besta owners, can someone tell me the thickness of the side walls on the cabinet itself (i.e. the walls where the door hinges attach)?

Back