BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since i only collect 1/6 action figure, will vassbo door block the view if I use it on Besta?

I use the Vassbo door on mine and you can display 1/6 figures, but you may have to do some tinkering. I actually have the 1/6 scale figures on a block of wood that I've covered with black cloth. It was some leftover deck board that I had from the summer. It raised them an inch from the bottom and now they are at a perfect height. Since I covered the board with black cloth, you don't even know it is there.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up another set so I can do 2 per.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Besta's and have been having a look through this thread. The one thing I'm a bit stumped on is whether some statues I have pre-ordered will fit with the standard shelf positions. I have the Batman PF and Superman PF coming at 25" and 25.5". I have seen pics suggesting Bats will fit but I'm doubting Superman will as that extra half an inch may make all the difference (that's what the ladies tell me anyway).

I'm planning on getting the Vasbo glass doors. If you alter the shelf height to allow for bigger statues so that they don't line up with the doors (ie. part of the base might be cut off by the doors if you lower the shelf under the door height) would that just look daft? Or would both of these statues fit anyway?

Also, I'd accepted that Hulk won't fit unless you have him sideways which I wouldn't want but then I noticed this Stuva frame

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30157377/?query=301.573.77

Apart from being an extra 10cm in depth it's the same size as a Besta, so would this work as a frame and then fit the Vasbo glass doors for the Besta, because then Hulk would fit in perfectly.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Hey HTUK!

The internal dimension is 24" high but you can drop the internal shelf slightly with the Vasbo doors.
The Vasbo are really nice but do restrict the view a little bit. You get a better view with the Tombo but if you dropped the shelf it would indeed look odd.
The hinges of the door also restrict shelf placement.

As far as i'm aware the Stuve will accommodate doors, I don't see why not. But I think they are only available in white?

Good luck with your set up. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Oops, I actually meant the Tombo doors and I'm getting white anyway so that's not an issue. Maybe I'll have one unit (I'm getting 3) without doors to fit the bigger statues then, or maybe just not get doors at all as I could fit my Bats bust in as well then, they just look good with doors. I need a full length glass door, that would solve all my issues. Cause I hate dusting.

Hmmmm, let me spend another 5 hours mulling this over, I don't need sleep anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

Are yours attached to the wall Col?

:lol Don't start me!

We sort of fell in love with the Besta...
We have a couple in my sons bedroom, 20cm deep attached to the wall.
Three on the landing, 20cm deep on the floor full of my sons DVDs & Blu-rays.
One in the hall, 40cm deep floor standing, used for shoes.
Then I have a few floor standing, 40cm deep, full of statues, a floor standing 20cm deep full of DVDs & Blu-rays with a 20cm deep wall mounted above it full of CDs in my room.

What are those strips of lights, and are they easy to install? I'm thinking about getting Vassbo doors which would hide them pretty well.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Besta's and have been having a look through this thread. The one thing I'm a bit stumped on is whether some statues I have pre-ordered will fit with the standard shelf positions. I have the Batman PF and Superman PF coming at 25" and 25.5". I have seen pics suggesting Bats will fit but I'm doubting Superman will as that extra half an inch may make all the difference (that's what the ladies tell me anyway).

I'm planning on getting the Vasbo glass doors. If you alter the shelf height to allow for bigger statues so that they don't line up with the doors (ie. part of the base might be cut off by the doors if you lower the shelf under the door height) would that just look daft? Or would both of these statues fit anyway?

Also, I'd accepted that Hulk won't fit unless you have him sideways which I wouldn't want but then I noticed this Stuva frame

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30157377/?query=301.573.77

Apart from being an extra 10cm in depth it's the same size as a Besta, so would this work as a frame and then fit the Vasbo glass doors for the Besta, because then Hulk would fit in perfectly.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Alright here's my thoughts on the besta and tombo combo with batman (I don't have the piece in hand yet so don't quote me)

The only viable method IMO is to put him in the centre shelf. If you assemble the besta/tombo as default, the middle shelf gives the tallest height of compared to the other 2. What I did now was to lower the middle shelf by 1 peg, and it measures approx 25.5". Yes you do notice the out of alignment but it's not that bad really.

The problem comes due to the height of bats is just gonna almost touch the top of the shelf - not a problem if do not have the inreda lights installed. However, because the strips are placed at the front of the shelf, my guess is that it will obstruct the view of batman's head and also may not properly cause the face to be lighted up due to the angle that the lights shine down. The next best alternative is to shift the top shelf 1 peg up or shift the middle shelf another peg down… for the latter the hinges on the bottom tombo needs to be shifted as well ( I don't foresee a big problem ).

I guess I will try out once I receive my bats from my LCS which could be in May .. Grrrrrrrr

Appreciate you posting your thoughts mate, I think I'm going to get the 3 Besta's with 3 doors and see how it looks with the shelves shifted about outside of the door alignment. If I don't mind it I'll get the other doors, if it looks bad I'll keep one in line and have the others without doors.

I think!....

Thanks, mate!

I was at an IKEA earlier and I overheard someone explaining to another person that the BESTAs aren't made of real wood and that overtime, their shape will change, as in the doors will gradually fall out of alignment, etc, etc due to the material not holding out as strong as, I guess, real wooden shelves. They said that it might last 10 years or so, but the quality will gradually decline over time. I just wanted to know if there was any truth to that, for all BESTAs owners that have had theirs for a long time?

They said that it might last 10 years or so, but the quality will gradually decline over time. I just wanted to know if there was any truth to that, for all BESTAs owners that have had theirs for a long time?

That person has their head up their arse and doesn't know what they're talking about. It's true, that Besta, like most other IKEA modular pieces is made from hybrid materials, particle board in this case. But to say that it will fail where "real" wood won't is just patently false. I've had all manner of particle board pieces for 20+ years (some going strong for 30, loaded with heavy books). I've also had plenty of real wood furniture. When you put excessive undistributed weight on any shelf, it's going to deform over time, no matter what it's made from.

You can expect your Besta units to last as long as you want them to so long as you take proper care of them, including shelf loading. And if anything does happen within 10 years, IKEA will gladly repair/replace it for you. As an aside, and as a statement to longevity, their kitchen cabinets, made from the same particle board, carry a 25 year warranty.

Last edited:
^^^ Thanks, piper! What a relief. I was planning on ordering my shelf for pickup in the upcoming week before the sale ends. My HTs will finally have a dust-free environment to dwell in :yess:

Like anything manufactured from wood and adhesives, you also need to take care to keep the moisture in the home balanced. Not excessively moist and not excessively dry. You may live in a location where it's maintained naturally, or you may be already using humidifiers or dehumidifiers seasonally. I'm in Ontario Canada, so I use AC and outdoor ventilation in the summer with central forced air natural-gas-fired heat and an attached humidifier in the winter.

I also figured to maybe slip something in the small gap between the doors to support the one above and keep it from falling out of alignment due to weight.

I also figured to maybe slip something in the small gap between the doors to support the one above and keep it from falling out of alignment due to weight.

The hinges will take care of that. They're also adjustable. Like Collectorcol said, don't worry about it - it's not going to be an issue.

Back