BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Errp autocorrect. Should have read as shelves, but I found my answer. New question. Do the pax shelves come with transparent glass doors at all,cor is that 100% custom?

Errp autocorrect. Should have read as shelves, but I found my answer. New question. Do the pax shelves come with transparent glass doors at all,cor is that 100% custom?

No the Pax doors you see that are clear are frosted glass doors bought from Ikea that have been modified. The frosted glass was removed and replaced by custome cut acrylic panels.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm actually sad now that I bought the Tombo doors and didn't even realize there were vassbo doors.

I bought a vassbo door when I bought my first besta, but I thought the edges were too wide so I went back and exchanged them for tombo.

the tombo doors would be perfect if they came with black edges, instead of metal.

I don't know much about paint or surfaces and I realize it would have to be done cautiously but, can the metal on the doors be painted?

I don't know much about paint or surfaces and I realize it would have to be done cautiously but, can the metal on the doors be painted?

You would have to find something that adheres to metal properly, if not it would simply chip off, and then you would have to be careful not to chip it off. However, unlike a commonly opened cabinet it might be okay.

is it possible to put locks on Besta Shelves?

Maybe if you come up with a custom option. An ikea solution doesn't exist if that's what your asking. I have not seen anyone on here with a locked Besta yet. At least since I've been a member here. Are you worried about kids getting into it? I told my kids that I would hang them by their toes if they got into mine and they have never touched it. In fact they warn everyone new who walks through the door that they will be hung from their toes if they touch it. Ha ha.

You would have to find something that adheres to metal properly, if not it would simply chip off, and then you would have to be careful not to chip it off. However, unlike a commonly opened cabinet it might be okay.

Yeah, that was my thought, flaking. I guarantee paint would flake off. Even if not for touching it, it would probably do so after years of sitting.

Yeah, that was my thought, flaking. I guarantee paint would flake off. Even if not for touching it, it would probably do so after years of sitting.

I wonder if there is a primer you could put on it that work as a bonding agent... Obviously it is possible to paint metal ... I just don't know how ... Lol

You should definitely be able to paint metal. Cars are metal. There is just a specific process by which you have to do it, and it will also depend on the metal you are painting. I have a lot of research to do on this topic myself...

See my sig? You must be able to paint metal!

I might consider doing this next year. This way the metal doesn't stand out so much on the tombo doors.

I've seen that most people are using the dioder lighting for the bestas. They look good but what I've been using Is the inreda LED. The are the perfect length for the cabnet and the lighting only shines down throught the cabinet. Also since you place them in the front instead of the middle like ive seen with most of the dioders, the light shines on the entire statue not just the top. Also The dioder LED lights are too noticeable. With the inreda LEDs the metal cover blocks the light and concentrates it to only the inside of the cabinet. I recommend this option, it looks the most professional and it makes it look like the lights were built in instead of a DIY lighting project I will post some pics when I figure out how to. I dont find many posts about this option, thought you guys might like to know.

I might consider doing this next year. This way the metal doesn't stand out so much on the tombo doors.

If you can remove the glass it would be easy to do, Just rub the frame down with a scotch bright pad or wet and dry sand paper, wipe it down with a tack rag to make sure the surface is clean of dust etc.... Few coats of primer and then a few coats of satin black and it will look a lot better, You can then seal it with a coat of lacquer to stop it chipping.

If you can't get the glass out I will be a case of masking it up both sides but still won't take long. Any automotive/metal paint will do. :)

I've seen that most people are using the dioder lighting for the bestas. They look good but what I've been using Is the inreda LED. The are the perfect length for the cabnet and the lighting only shines down throught the cabinet. Also since you place them in the front instead of the middle like ive seen with most of the dioders, the light shines on the entire statue not just the top. Also The dioder LED lights are too noticeable. With the inreda LEDs the metal cover blocks the light and concentrates it to only the inside of the cabinet. I recommend this option, it looks the most professional and it makes it look like the lights were built in instead of a DIY lighting project I will post some pics when I figure out how to. I dont find many posts about this option, thought you guys might like to know.
Yep. They are great and definitely the ones you want to go for if you have a besta!

I had the Dioders in hand and ended up swapping them for the Inredas and I'm glad I did. They're a much more natural looking light which I think makes my figures look more lifelike.

Here are some examples of the White Bestas with the Inreda
IMG_0296_zps661b6f8d.jpg

IMG_0299_zps3b438944.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, are the glass doors on these pretty tight? I'm thinking of putting these in my theater room but am worried I'd hear them rattle.

That is a very good question. I have them in my media room as well and i watch my movies LOUD wih the base up high and I haven't heard anything yet.
the glass in the frames are tight so I doubt that would make noise. The only thing I can think is the doors could rattle against the cabinet. The hinges are tight but I'd imagine of they did rattle you could stick some felt pads on the back of the doors. That should work.

Back