BESTA love and idea thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all!
Just put together my first Besta! Love 'em! Needed something to store my new PFs in. Got Baroness and now waiting on Babydoll, Batman and Poison Ivy.

I do have a big question about them. I have seen how people "dust proof" their Detolfs. I'm wondering if there is a way to do the same thing with the Bestas. I'm using the Tombo doors, of course. What would you guys recommend? Weather stripping like Detolfs? If so, where to get it, size, color, etc. (I'm using black/brown Bestas). Thanks for the help all!

Anyone have any trouble with the very top glass doors on their besta's leaning downwards ?. Driving me mad , I've messed around with the screws countless time but they just don't seem to want to sit right , standing far back it looks as if the two top doors slant down to the right.

Hey all!
Just put together my first Besta! Love 'em! Needed something to store my new PFs in. Got Baroness and now waiting on Babydoll, Batman and Poison Ivy.

I do have a big question about them. I have seen how people "dust proof" their Detolfs. I'm wondering if there is a way to do the same thing with the Bestas. I'm using the Tombo doors, of course. What would you guys recommend? Weather stripping like Detolfs? If so, where to get it, size, color, etc. (I'm using black/brown Bestas). Thanks for the help all!

I am not at home but you may be able to get a thin piece of felt with one sided tape on the other side to stick around the inside surround. I don't know how much room you would have. With those doors I suspect you won't get much dust in your cases anyway. I don't have anything else on mine and haven't have much trouble with dust. Detolfs are a bit different because the is a bigger gap on them. When mine close I hardly have any gap. Yours may be diffent though.

Anyone have any trouble with the very top glass doors on their besta's leaning downwards ?. Driving me mad , I've messed around with the screws countless time but they just don't seem to want to sit right , standing far back it looks as if the two top doors slant down to the right.

Not really.... mine sit pretty well. It may be a problem with the hinge itself. Could be bent a little or something. A little bent or imperfection can translate into an annoying slant further out though. Could also be your foot pads on the bottom. Sometimes adjusting them can center the doors.

YES! Ive not been able to get my doors all level since day one.

No amound of messing with the hinges will fix it.

Not really.... mine sit pretty well. It may be a problem with the hinge itself. Could be bent a little or something. A little bent or imperfection can translate into an annoying slant further out though. Could also be your foot pads on the bottom. Sometimes adjusting them can center the doors.

YES! Ive not been able to get my doors all level since day one.

No amound of messing with the hinges will fix it.

Probably me being a perfectionist but I'm glad I'm not alone. :lol
I'll going to give it another shot tomorrow , fairly certain it's useless though as I don't know what I'm trying to fix really , I'll have to post some photo's soon to see if anyone can help out. :hi5:

You need to really understand how the hinges work. There is lots of room to adjust the doors. Best to adjust each screw on its own from one end to another to figure out the result. It can be done. Don't give up

:borg "Resistance is futile"

Like Geil says and if I may add it does take practice to get the doors right. It took me awhile but they get almost no dust at all inside. It's funny a couple people didn't even know my Besta had doors on.

This should be all the info you need that was posted by gagaliya:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4693173&postcount=9

This is the tutorial that I used to create my PAX display. If you use different sized doors than what he uses, all you have to do (and this is what I did since there was no info on 80" PAX) is buy the doors first, measure the glass panels that are included and go to that website that he posted in that link I referred you to and buy custom display acrylic panels.

For the collectors that wanted 80" PAX, here are the measurements I took for the glass panels that were included that I then bought acrylic panels off the professional plastics website which worked fine:

.125 THICK CLEAR EXTRUDED F/M ACRYLIC (SACR.125EF)
Size: 35.375" X 24" @ +/- 0.062 [Qty: 6]

So I'm planning on buying the PAX this year...is Ikea discontinuing this? They are sold out of all the 25" depth models that gagaliya recommends.

So I'm planning on buying the PAX this year...is Ikea discontinuing this? They are sold out of all the 25" depth models that gagaliya recommends.

Hmmm. I was gonna buy one on friday too. Only one I see now is the 78 3/4 x 26 x 92 7/8. I'm wondering if the size of the acrylic panel changes now too? Shoooot.

The 25 3/4 depth they list on the website includes the installed doors. The actual depth of the shelf is around 22 3/4.

Just got some weather stripping to help keep dust out of my besta case.. I think its going to work out well for the outer edges/middle zones with the tombo doors...

This is the "storm door & window replacement weatherstrip" by MD from home depot..

Probably me being a perfectionist but I'm glad I'm not alone. :lol
I'll going to give it another shot tomorrow , fairly certain it's useless though as I don't know what I'm trying to fix really , I'll have to post some photo's soon to see if anyone can help out. :hi5:

You need to really understand how the hinges work. There is lots of room to adjust the doors. Best to adjust each screw on its own from one end to another to figure out the result. It can be done. Don't give up

:borg "Resistance is futile"

Like Geil says and if I may add it does take practice to get the doors right. It took me awhile but they get almost no dust at all inside. It's funny a couple people didn't even know my Besta had doors on.

I've just got my doors absolutely spot on! It's all about the hinges like geil said, but there was also a bit of play in the besta itself meaning it wasn't square. I tightened everything up after adjusting the squareness and its good. But it's mainly the hinges. The key is making sure the bracket inside of the hinge is inserted properly, the adjusting screw has to slide inside the bracket.

It's hard to explain, I'll post pics just in case anyone has this issue again.

Besides having to adjust my doors a tad and move the left shelf over a little, this is how it looks. And it will continue to look just like this until we move. Once we've moved, we will have it in a less lit area so there isn't so much of a glare. Lights will be removed from the center cabinets and replaced with strip lighting, and different shelves will be incorporated. I will be putting two slim shelves in between these to have my 12" from Hot Toys. And then to complete it all I will be getting shorter bestas so I can hang frames behind them with my Mondo prints.

Sorry for the glare, but I tried everything I could to take photos at a time with the least amount of light. Damn room these are in. Light everywhere!!! And yes, I know I need to clean the glass. I only just put the rest of the doors on so they are fingerprinted like crazy.

DSCN4766_zpsd494dcd8.jpg

Here's what's on the top of the shelves to the left.

DSCN4769_zps80e9f2d5.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool setup buffy girl!

I've just set up my besta with the inreda mirror / glass insert and some dioders, it looks absolutely stunning.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm actually sad now that I bought the Tombo doors and didn't even realize there were vassbo doors.

Especially when they were (are?) On sale in the US ........ only :(
BTW I realized I will never get around to wire up my Besta on my own using generic reels of LEDs and working on getting a guy to do it for me. 16ft for a complete set of white or RGB LEDs are $25-$45 off eBay shipped with the brighter 5050 LEDs gives roughly 20 per ft should be brighter than the ones from IKEA and Costco and have RF remote option for the colored one. So cutting it into 16pcs I would effectively have 4 kits equivalent for not much more $$. Just got to figure out how much he will charge me for selling me 15pcs of extension wires with the connectors.

Back