Best value Star Wars-related purchase (steal!) you ever made?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny6666

Super Freak
Reaction score
We all hear about those amazing one-of moments where a buyer snags a mint vinyl cape Kenner Jawa for $22 from some poor, unsuspecting schlub at a neighbourhood garage sale, but what has been your best Star Wars-related buy (or acquisition) ever? Was it a supremely lucky bid on Ebay? Closing down sale at a local toy store? A genius trade in your favour with some schoolyard kid when you were 7? Dumpster-diving behind a factory in some obscure Chinese province?

Let us know about your luckiest (or sneakiest) Star Wars moment - and it doesn't have to be absolutely mythical! Hell, buying a 1/6 figure these days for, say, $50 under retail counts as a miracle!

11824069436_35372f7124.jpg

About 10 years ago I was surfing a message board and came across a single post about a "great big Star Wars space ship for sale". Turns out this 18 year old kid was going off to college and wanted some money to get started. He had won one of the Millennium Falcon Extraordinaires at a Toys R Us when he was 7. His parents never knew what to do with it, so it was wrapped in plastic in hist basement for 11 years. I was the first one to see his post, made him an offer (I think it was around $1,100) and made arrangements to take the three hour drive to pick it up. The thing was immaculate, included both guns and the radar dish and most, if not all of the heavy cardboard decals. I squeezed it into my wife's Chevy Blazer, got it home and it's been hanging as a centerpiece to my collection ever since. Luck of being the first one to see the message and only being three hours away!

Grandparents found an unopened Diecast Tie Bomber that they never gave me as a kid and got it 20 or so years later.

...Millennium Falcon Extraordinaire.

That's an awesome story! And, even better, you did him a solid deal for the piece which certainly would benefited him going off to college. Nice! :)

Grandparents found an unopened Diecast Tie Bomber that they never gave me as a kid and got it 20 or so years later.

Cool that they did, but you must have hated them for not giving it to you as a kid! Ouch!

A boatload of original Kenner figures, landspeeder, x-wing fighter, millennium falcon, and complete death star for $20 at a yard sale...that's a deal SOMEBODY once got courtesy of my mom.

I did win a Tamashi C-3PO for $180 shipped on eBay...not a steal but a little something to ease the pain.

A boatload of original Kenner figures, landspeeder, x-wing fighter, millennium falcon, and complete death star for $20 at a yard sale...that's a deal SOMEBODY once got courtesy of my mom.

You do hear about that happening but, man - how did you forgive her???

Cool that they did, but you must have hated them for not giving it to you as a kid! Ouch!
Never knew that they had them until they found them years later. I got that and a Cloud Car MIB but the box had seen better days. I am actually glad that it happened now. I got a really rare diecast MIB that otherwise would have got messed up.

Oh yeah I also got a diecast Star Destroyer in old service merchandise plain brown packaging.

AU$20 for a Graflex Flash attachment in 1996 from a Melbourne camera shop! My first Star Wars prop replica.

I remember as a kid buying 3 large garbage bags full of mostly Star Wars toys for 10.00. Head the Death Star playset, 12 inch Vader, few other vehicles, and a bunch of figures.

I also bought a MOC Droids Boba Fett for 100.00 before those got popular.

I recall getting the Sears exclusive Blue Snaggletooth in original baggy from the cantina playset for $25 and POTF Yakface complete with staff in perfect condition loose for $35 before demand and price started to increase.

Around 2000 I bought a dead mint Darth Vader 1977 Vintage 3 3/4 figure, perfect lightsaber, not a fold or scratch on the vinyl cape for about $15. It even came in a little cylinder tube to keep it safe. I had it buried with some stuff in a move back then and found it a couple of years ago still preserved.

I got the 1/6 Tamashi Die Cast C3P0 for $150 on clearance from HLJ in Japan.

Sent from the Death Star communication division.

Buying the first Star Wars #1 1977 Marvel Comic for about $15 in awesome condition. I think its fetching a few hundred now.

Also buying the Hot Toys Luke DX Exclusive at retail when it came out. its now getting somewhere in the $700-1000+ range.

I've been wanting a Hot Toys Limited Space Trooper for awhile. Finally pulled the trigger - after I got my eBay Bucks coupon. I've been saving up and holding on to these quarterly and figured now was time to cash in and start 2017 off with a bang! My final cost for my HT Space Trooper......under $14! :)

09af27bf098c20d1ac4b176a9325a335.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wanting a Hot Toys Limited Space Trooper for awhile. Finally pulled the trigger - after I got my eBay Bucks coupon. I've been saving up and holding on to these quarterly and figured now was time to cash in and start 2017 off with a bang! My final cost for my HT Space Trooper......under $14! :)

09af27bf098c20d1ac4b176a9325a335.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats an eBay bucks coupon? :dunno

Back