Best Hi-Def TV to get?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After spending months on AVS and on the Highdef forums, I decided to go to a panel shootout. There wasn't a panel really even close to the Kuro (including LED). SED and OLED are still bug-ridden. With the Kuro, you can't even tell the blacks from the bezel. And, calibration is just the icing on an already delcious cake, so to say. Out of box, it's a hands down winner.

So, Santa and I went shopping in Nov.:D

Bought a Pixel-Perfect, ISF Day/Night Calibrated, Pioneer KRP-500M (and some additives). I would have went with the 600M, but only the 50" had the 10g tech. Panasonic has since bought the patents.

Not sure if there are any more KRP's floating around from authorized sellers, but I'd highly recommend them.

neo_whoa1.jpg

I had a similar experience as KAOSINLA.

After loads of research (I would say over a year) I also went with the Kuro.

I have a Pioneer 5020, although I have not yet had it calibrated. My wife said I had to have the TV payed off before I could dump another 3-4 hundred into calibration.:rolleyes: Thankfully that will be this month!!! :banana:banana:banana

It's gonna be hard to find any Kuro's on the market now though.

If I had to buy a HDTV right now (assuming I couldn't find a Kuro) I would buy Panasonic Plasma. Namely the Panasonic TC-P50V10.

https://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p50v10/4505-6482_7-33490589.html?tag=tpr

This TV has great contrast and the ability to display 24p (at 96HZ [a big plus for film buffs like me... Pioneer does 72HZ])

If I was dead set on LCD (LED) I would probably buy the Samsung UN55B8500. This is a "local dimming" LED LCD. It is the future of HD in my opinion (until OLED is marketable). Here it is at CNet:
https://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55b8500/4505-6482_7-33740174.html?tag=tpr

What really struck me about that review is the statement that this TV has "Deeper black levels than any HDTV available aside from Pioneer Kuro." They go on to say that the "legendary" Kuro is discontinued, which seems to imply that this TV has the blackest blacks on the market. The only problem is the "blooming," although this one seems to do it the best of any local dimming back lit LED TV currently available. But I bet the replacement (2010) model will have this blooming thing worked out... so if I was in the market a year from now I would probably jump at the newest Sammy local dimming LED! (If you can wait... maybe you should!)

For more info on "local dimming" LED see:

https://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10225776-1.html

https://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10040464-1.html?tag=mncol;txt

There is one more possibility... Pioneer was bought out by Panasonic. So far they are not using the Pioneer tech, but if they do.... :naughty

In the meantime, I am so glad that I bought a Kuro before it was to late. :D

A quick note on "burn it", which is one of the big worries with plasma: I ran a break in DVD for 150 hours before anything else. As a result it seems that my TV is impervious to image retention! I have left my TiVo paused for over 2 hours on accident :horror and guess what? No burn in!!!

I am very pleased with my TV. At this point the G9 Kuro is the pinnacle of plasma technology! :cool:

Well done guys on picking up the Kuro's you just can't beat it...still.:cool:

I couldn't afford one so went the next best thing with a Panny Plasma.:D

From my experience you usually find the people that put in the countless hrs of investigation usually come to the conclusion that Plasma still has the best pic.

When is this going to be a sticky?

I have a Pioneer 5020, although I have not yet had it calibrated. My wife said I had to have the TV payed off before I could dump another 3-4 hundred into calibration.:rolleyes: Thankfully that will be this month!!! :banana:banana:banana

I'd recommend D-Nice

A quick note on "burn it", which is one of the big worries with plasma: I ran a break in DVD for 150 hours before anything else. As a result it seems that my TV is impervious to image retention! I have left my TiVo paused for over 2 hours on accident :horror and guess what? No burn in!!!

I really think IR is negligible at this point in the tech curve, but did the same thing with Evangelo2's break-in disc in order to have even phosphor aging. Intolerable 150:D

quick question, if you get a HD-TV, can you still play regular DVD's on it? will it look any different? i dont want to upgrade my whole entire DVd collection.

I have a 46" SHARP AQUOS LCD and it's by far the bes HD picture I have ever seen.

sharp_lc_46d64u.jpg

SHARP AND SAMSUNG are the leading brand name when it comes to flat pannel tv's.

Unreal picture !

I'd recommend D-Nice

I really think IR is negligible at this point in the tech curve, but did the same thing with Evangelo2's break-in disc in order to have even phosphor aging. Intolerable 150:D

I used the same break in DVD. I think my wife thought I was crazy. 150 hours of changing colors in our living room! I had to hang a black sheet across the living room entryway so that we weren't seeing red, white, green, white, blue, white, red, white.... etc. etc. all night long!!!!! :google:google:lol (We sleep with our bedroom door open.)

And D-Nice would definitely be my first choice, but it doesn't seem he comes to Wisconsin. :(

Anyone else you can suggest? Right now I am just leaning towards Best Buy.

I found that some of my DVDs looked watered down On my new Panny plasma ?

Tis true, even with a player that will upconvert; I noticed the difference esp in dark shots or those with a lot of black in them.

Back