Film Scores that ruined or hurt an otherwise good film.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought the Sam Raimi Spider-man movies were lacking in a great score. It took me forever to figure out what the main theme was. Some of it sounds like "Somewhere" from Westside Story. It use to take me out of the movie when i would hear that failure tune playing while Spider-man was doing his thing.

I have come to appreciate a little more.. but I thought the films could have been greatly improved with a more classic hero theme.

I was always a fan of Legend, so the Tangerine Dream score doesn't bother me much, if at all. I've only watched it once with the Goldsmith score and I have to say it was jarring and jumped out at me as I watched the movie. I can't say I can impartially judge this. The TD score is just so engrained in the movie for me.

I absolutely agree about Voyage Home! The Horner score from ST2/3 was magnificent, and then to get such a generic, TV movie/sitcom type of thing for ST4 was embarrassing.

The score for the Fifth Element totally ruined it for me. The goofy comedy bleep blops in some parts that try and accentuate the awful, childish humor onscreen just made me loath the movie.

And I have to say the great John Williams has ruined a few soundtracks by being way heavy handed. I think his 90s stuff was kinda terrible, but he got a little better by the 2000s. I think the scene in Jurassic Park where the kids and Dr Grant are up in the tree was heavy handed, trying to play up the sweetness of the scene. And the worst instance for me was in Phantom Menace when Anakin is saying goodbye to his mother. JEEEZ, John! Keep that damn music down! We know it's supposed to be a sad scene for chissakes, even in this crappy movie! He went WAY overboard, hitting you over the head with the sad motif! But not even entirely sad either, if that makes sense. It was just intrusive and overly complicated, making an awkward scene even worse.

But like I said before, I think JW has gotten back up to speed since then. I thought Minority Report and War of the Worlds were both excellent, particularly WotW. And I thought TFA was brilliant. However, there's a theme that bothers me from TLJ, Rose's theme, I think. But it's called "The Rebellion Is Reborn", which sounds overly maudlin and overly sweet. And the "Speeder Chase" on Pasaana from Rise of Skywalker sounds overly heroic but ends up sounding generic. Both almost sound like someone trying to sound like JW but failing.

I always thought the Sam Raimi Spider-man movies were lacking in a great score. It took me forever to figure out what the main theme was. Some of it sounds like "Somewhere" from Westside Story. It use to take me out of the movie when i would hear that failure tune playing while Spider-man was doing his thing.

I have come to appreciate a little more.. but I thought the films could have been greatly improved with a more classic hero theme.

What think you of this one from Amazing Spiderman 2? I actually haven't thought of it in a long time but I thought it was decent.

What think you of this one from Amazing Spiderman 2? I actually haven't thought of it in a long time but I thought it was decent.

I like that one and I also liked the theme that James Horner came up with in the first ASM.

Thats one of the main problems I have with the MCU.. Other then the Avengers theme there are not that many "hero themes" out there. Cap has one but I could not hum it if you paid me.

Whew, and I thought I posted a hot take. :lol

Not a bad piece, but there's so much pomp to the melody and orchestration that it feels more suitable for a vanilla hero like Cap or Supes. Or an Army recruiting ad.

I personally like the Raimi theme since it's got an anxious, scurrying energy to balance the melodrama. Not sure if it's truly iconic, but I spent so much time with these movies as a kid that it's instantly recognizable.

14afd6ba0c3169c00f502b4324623037.gif

I knew that would get your attention.

I saw your name and it actually occured to me that I never cared for the Blade Runner soundtrack. There's one little saxophone bit I like in the romance moment but the rest is not memorable to me.

That said, I don't always care for atmospheric soundtracks.

I think Blade Runner could have benefitted from a better score.

Yep. I meant to add this score when I was thinking about doing this thread and forgot about it by the time I got around to doing it.

I use to own the soundtrack way back in Cassette tape days. I hardly ever listened to it.. I dont know if I ever made it all the way through.

I remember the sax part like you said, the action track for the final credits and the harp sound when the opening shot appears. I like the Harp effect but just not a huge fan of the rest.. But then again I am not sure how much music is actually in the film.

Whew, and I thought I posted a hot take. :lol

I can see why some would like it.. I ended up liking it. But I still hear "There is a place for us.. Somewhere a place for us" when I hear parts of the main theme. :lol

Not a bad piece, but there's so much pomp to the melody and orchestration that it feels more suitable for a vanilla hero like Cap or Supes. Or an Army recruiting ad.

I dont disagree... I actually prefer the James Horner theme from ASM2. That has a kind of innocents to it. The kind of theme a kid should have.

I personally like the Raimi theme since it's got an anxious, scurrying energy to balance the melodrama. Not sure if it's truly iconic, but I spent so much time with these movies as a kid that it's instantly recognizable.

I dont want to come down to hard on it.. Its just that at the time of this movies release there were Comic book movies with themes like Batman, Superman and even Batman Forever. You could hum it as soon as the movie was over.

It took me awhile to find that spider man theme.

X-men Days of Future Past. The score is bland and forgettable, it mostly sounds like a less inspired version of the winter soldier score. The film is one of if not the best FoX-men movies but the score doesn't do anything to enhance it. I think the emotional beats of the movie could have been so much more powerful with a better more defined score. By comparison, First Class has a really good and varied score by Henry Jackman which definitely adds further character to the movie.

What is most surprising about this is that DOFP's was scored by John Ottman who scored X2 (which I really like) and I'm pretty sure that it is the only other score in the series that had the benefit of re-using musical themes from that movie and perhaps x-men 1 (including the main x-men title sequence theme) which should have made it a win but all the new stuff is entirely forgettable background MCU score noise.

EDIT: I just did some reading on reliable wikipedia and it says that at 'Singer's request he [Ottman] tried to compose "something more 'modern'" that could be compared to other contemporary superhero scores, and not follow Henry Jackman's score for First Class'. It all makes sense now, raises fist at the sky and yells 'SIIIIIIINNNNNNGGEEEERRRR!'.

The original X-men score is pretty meh also... Borderline bad at moments.

I liked john Ottman's work for X-men 2.

Interesting, that?s one of my favorite scores. I?ll catch myself humming it randomly sometimes.

Just watched Rocky IV with my son tonight..

Again.. That film is a mess but that awful score drags it down into the gutter.

Even my son commented on the bad music and thought the film would have been better with the original composer.

Movie is so 80's / MTV generation though.. We watched Rocky III right before it.. Cant get over the change in tone.

Hans Zimmer is God of scoring music and the Man of Steel score was epic. But in following it up with BVS, I really felt like he didn't bring his A game. Wonder Woman score in it was great, everything else meh. I was banking on a great Batman score, but it just seemed like his heart wasn't in it.

Hans Zimmer is God of scoring music and the Man of Steel score was epic. But in following it up with BVS, I really felt like he didn't bring his A game. Wonder Woman score in it was great, everything else meh. I was banking on a great Batman score, but it just seemed like his heart wasn't in it.

I dont think he was the one that wrote Wonder Woman's theme.. I think it was the other guy he co composed with Junkie XL wrote it.. I dont recall why i think that.

Its been awhile since Ive seen it but I remember the music in GoldenEye taking me out of the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back