Best Cameras for photograhing figures and 1/6 scale?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwelveInchFigures

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been making good use of an old camera for years, but decided it's time to start considering upgrading because my images are nothing compared to what the new cameras are doing. So I wondered if anyone who has some experience doing 1/6 scale photography could point me in the right direction of what cameras are good and what lenses are recommended?

I'm just a meat and potatoes budget, I was considering a DSLR camera and looking to pay around $500 once I get the money set aside, but then I know that one doesn't necessarily have to have a DSLR to take great photos, and also that the lenses can be very pricey too. So any and all tips and your experiences are welcome. I wasn't sure where to post this, I remember seeing posts about micro-photography on here someplace but I couldn't track it down, so hopefully this post will do.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ken

What Mfoga said. You will need good lighting and a good Macro lens. I use a Canon 40D for most of my work with a Canon 100 Macro Lens. For lighting, I use 2 800 watt & 1 1600 watt Alien Bees Flash heads.

It's a good idea to also consider what else you expect to be using the camera for. Video? Holidays?

If I didn't happen to have photography as a second hobby of mine (so I use DSLR) I'd consider one of those new "hybrids" that are smaller in size, but offer versatility in terms of lenses.

Other than that, good lighting is key.

Pretty much any DSLR is going to be much better than the point and shoot cameras or your phone, so you can't go wrong even with one of the lower end ones. That said, I'd go for a Canon or a Nikon

I don't take pictures of toys ... but the Canon Rebel (I think it's a T4) is pretty much the best camera I've had for taking pictures of anything. I don't see why toys would be any different.

SnakeDoc

doesnt matter what camera you use as long as you know how to use it.
that said, i find macro lens helpful. i use nikon's 105mm micro for my 1/6 toys, pretty handy for close ups.

Look into lighboxes, they make all kinds of them. If you looking to just take good clean images of figures with a clean background they are great.

Lighting and macro lens; get a full frame dslr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would get a crop sensor and spend the extra money to get good lenses. You can normally get a crop sensor for about half the price with virtually all the same features minus full size sensor. The advantages of a full frame rarely outweigh the costs especially if your on a budget. I will always recommend (especially starting out) get a lower cost body , spend money on good lenses, get a couple prime lenses that fit your need vs on cheaper zoom lens and go from there. If you don't get lenses that are designed for smaller sensor(just do the adjustment yourself by multiplying focal length) and then if down the road you decide you really into it and want to upgrade you spend the money on a better lens and you already have lenses you need. This only hurts if you need a really wide focus lens.

Back