Best Asmus Middle Earth 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see how Thorin could be viewed as a pretty overly dramatic, joyless, selfish distrusting **** - from what little I recall of that trilogy- so it shouldn’t be too surprising that not everyone would warm to him as a character.

I've been collecting this line from the beginning and have bought everything (though don't have the room to display them all) and for my money my top five would be ...

1) Thorin
2) Grishnak
3) Gimli
4) Elrond
5) Boromir

The runners-up would be ...

6) Theoden
7) Bard (REALLY under appreciated, in my view. Clothes need weathering, but the head sculpt is really good.)
8) Legolas
9) Mouth of Sauron with Steed (Such great shelf presence.)
10) Eomer
11) Bilbo (Would have been higher if he'd come with his walking stick.)
12) Guritz (Love that head sculpt!)

All that said, if the production figures come out anywhere close to the protos, Galadriel and Crown Gandalf are going to shove everybody down a couple of slots pretty soon!

Thorin is a perfect figure, accessories, detail sculpt, etc. I initially had no intention of picking him up as he was my least favorite rep of the dwarf cast, but he's just too damn well made. After that, I think Saruman was knocked out of the park. MoS on steed, just got Elrond and he is fantastic. I could go on all day honestly. Asmus figures have always been a solid playable/pose-able figure with amazing details in accessories and tailoring, but more recently in the last several releases they started nailing the sculpts and paint as well. Easily surpassing Hot Toys as my favorite 1/6 company....Also this list is making me want to track down figures I missed out on.....Ugh, I need to find a slim release Sam.

I found a Slim release Sam and Frodo separately on a Canadian store website earlier this week for msrp. With the conversion rate and no state taxes (such as from eBay or US stores) I feel like I got an amazing deal and rare find. They were the only ones left in stock. They should be here next week or so according to tracking. So excited. I also have Thorin and Arwen coming from BBTS soon. And of course Galadriel and Crown Gandalf are on preorder. I may get Twilight Witchking but I have to draw the line somewhere for purchases so close together!

I can see how Thorin could be viewed as a pretty overly dramatic, joyless, selfish distrusting **** - from what little I recall of that trilogy- so it shouldn?t be too surprising that not everyone would warm to him as a character.

Not everyone did - book or movie - myself, Thorin's my favorite esp. in movie because he was emotionally scarred, took care of his people, and was all dwarf e.g. bull headed, courageous, intelligent and fallible. Also refreshingly IMO - dunno why this was a thing with me at the time - but Thorin didn't have angst about suddenly being king. He was a prince who stepped up to the plate no fuss.

Dunno why but hand-wringing leaders were annoying me when the Hobbit movie came out. Just remember Thorin - and later Black Panther in Civil War - pretty well didn't have meltdowns when called. Never was fond of the movie treatment of Aragorn which IMO wasn't like the book in that aspect. I mean, the book has Aragorn sitting with his "head bowed" before leaving Rivendell but it's not the same thing as the film.

Also movie Thorin and Bilbo IMO are one of the best bromances ever, thanks to the actors. But yeah, I've read posts with opposing views.

Anyway ASMUS did justice to these fascinating characters in 1/6 - LOL speaking of meltdowns waiting for Thorin release and first pics was so much stress:panic:. A perfect Thorin at this price point in the costume I was hoping for.:clap

For the very best I own from ASMUS I can't choose between Gimli and Thorin. Both used great materials, have great weapons and accessories. I sort of want to give Thorin a slight edge 'coz it wasn't an easy thing to pull off multiple layers of clothing, those furry boots, the brigandine armor/scales. But then Gimli has all those axes. Great sculpts and paint on both IMO.:dunno

I may get Twilight Witchking but I have to draw the line somewhere for purchases so close together!

Yeah, I still don't have funds for Theoden and been wanting him for months!:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Yep...Thorin is one of my absolute favorite characters out of all six films. The character design, performance, storyline...just a truly compelling character that brings so much to the entire series.

Yep...Thorin is one of my absolute favorite characters out of all six films. The character design, performance, storyline...just a truly compelling character that brings so much to the entire series.

Totally agree of course:lol and give major props to Richard Armitage and Martin Freeman for totally bringing it. (Thorin remains an amazing fig in a line of amazing figs!):clap

ASMUSThorin_portrait.jpg

And props to ASMUS for totally bringing it. Around Thorin release I think is when ASMUS started kicking other 1/6 companies in the *ss:monkey3. I know was spending more on ASMUS than HT by then.

If it weren't for Mandalorian that would still be true; think right now it's about 50/50. :gandalf:r2d2line

Totally agree of course:lol and give major props to Richard Armitage and Martin Freeman for totally bringing it. (Thorin remains an amazing fig in a line of amazing figs!):clap

View attachment 488095

And props to ASMUS for totally bringing it. Around Thorin release I think is when ASMUS started kicking other 1/6 companies in the *ss:monkey3. I know was spending more on ASMUS than HT by then.

If it weren't for Mandalorian that would still be true; think right now it's about 50/50. :gandalf:r2d2line

My wife got me this figure for Father?s Day. It arrived yesterday and I am climbing the walls having to wait until tomorrow to open it up!

My wife got me this figure for Father?s Day. It arrived yesterday and I am climbing the walls having to wait until tomorrow to open it up!

Great, great gift IMO. Since it's Father's Day u should have all day to futz, have nice dinner, re-watch "An Unexpected Journey...":duff

Really hope you enjoy him - IMO a little *affordable* work of art, including the diecast Orcrist. Post pics!:cool:

PS. I can't believe ASMUS included the perfect little pipe that comes with - but it's IMPORTANT because of the song.....

I’m surprised more people aren’t voting for the witch-king in armour. Super commanding shelf presence.

I got in to my Father?s Day haul and must now say of the eighth figures that I have so far...Thorin is definitely my favorite figure! Easily in fact. For reference I currently have Saruman (with Palantir), Arwen, Elrond, Frodo, Legolas (Luxury), Eomer, Boromir, and the aforementioned Thorin. Theoden is on the way but I imagine that Thorin will remain in my top spot until Galadriel and Crown Gandalf are released.

Ha! You will not regret it my friend! This figure is remarkable and the combination of the rooted hair and the fur pieces give it simply stunning shelf presence. I laugh because I literally just started tracking down a Bilbo to go with him. A figure this amazing deserves a complete display!

:horror

Seriously? Least favorite?
So you liked Nori, Dori, and Ori more ?
Bifur and Bombur ?
That?s hard to believe.

Very true, didn't care for Armitage as Thorin. As he was the most prominent in the book and given the most dialogue I had a major issue with the interpretation of the films. Most the time I can see past that for the sake of enjoying the movie, but it just didn't translate well for me. And yeah, The majority of the interpretation of the rest of the party, (sans Fili and Kili) I thoroughly enjoyed.

BUT! The interesting thing about the Thorin figure is it actually makes me appreciate the design a little more. It just comes off as regal yet ...dwarvish. Hard to describe, ha.

Ha! You will not regret it my friend! This figure is remarkable and the combination of the rooted hair and the fur pieces give it simply stunning shelf presence. I laugh because I literally just started tracking down a Bilbo to go with him. A figure this amazing deserves a complete display!

He does look amazing but I didn't want to go down the hobbit "hole" (slippery slope)... :wink1:

I don't think I need any other figures from "The Hobbit" films. Perhaps an updated "Bard" figure, someday.

He does look amazing but I didn't want to go down the hobbit "hole" (slippery slope)... :wink1:

I don't think I need any other figures from "The Hobbit" films. Perhaps an updated "Bard" figure, someday.

Yep...I went through the old Tauriel thread and it convinced me that that figure is probably best avoided. The Bard figure did not look so great to me but I have heard some folks suggest that it is better than it appears in the pictures but I think I am going to stick with Thorin and soon Bilbo only for the Hobbit films. I will say that I was not a fan of the films at all when they were released but my wife and I just completed a rewatch of the Extended Editions and I have surprisingly fallen in love with them in spite of their flaws.

Yep...I went through the old Tauriel thread and it convinced me that that figure is probably best avoided. The Bard figure did not look so great to me but I have heard some folks suggest that it is better than it appears in the pictures but I think I am going to stick with Thorin and soon Bilbo only for the Hobbit films. I will say that I was not a fan of the films at all when they were released but my wife and I just completed a rewatch of the Extended Editions and I have surprisingly fallen in love with them in spite of their flaws.

Congrats on a fine gift:clap and glad you are happy with him:) - 'course I'm biased but IMO re the fig - happily ASMUS really outdid themselves.:clap Personally think they did so with Bilbo as well; the very fine tailoring, accessories, and I am happy with the sculpt. Just changing Bilbo's head a bit gives a completely different feel to a display.

I like to pair Thorin with his nemesis Thranduil as well:cool: - IMO the confrontation in Desolation of Smaug was so well done. Still hoping for ASMUS to do Thranduil-on-Throne. :pray::pray::pray:

Picked up Bard on a whim a while back; but IMO he is a fine figure as well, looks great on the shelf. Meanwhile I ordered ASMUS'
"Door to Haberdashery" which could either work with Bard in Laketown - or I am thinking of turning it into "Bilbo and Thorin at Beorn's house" which is one of my favorite Hobbit places book and movie. Sort of borrowing off the WETA poly version of Beorn's House.

I just need some giant bees and Beorn-like stuff:cool:, since there is no 1/6 Beorn.:( A great big axe to put by the door, and so on.

The best tho would be if ASMUS put out a Bag End door:pray: in 1/6 tho some people have done outstanding custom doors.

Thorin is my number one pick. Mind you he is followed closely by Gimli.

Great picture!:clap

I would love to get my hands on Thranduil to display with Thorin too. Sadly it seems that he is practically impossible to find at what I would consider to be a reasonable price point...as in under $300USD...yikes!

Back