Best Alien/Predator sequel poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which sequel was best?

• Predator 2

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Alien III

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • Alien: Resurrection

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
I enjoyed Resurection a bit more. Aliens 3 was all good for me until the ending.
I don't know why but Ripley catching the baby queen as it shot from her chest as she fell into molten metal just left a cheesey taste in my mouth.:rolleyes:
Predator 2, take it or leave it.

Cocoboloboy said:
I don't know why but Ripley catching the baby queen as it shot from her chest as she fell into molten metal just left a cheesey taste in my mouth.:rolleyes:

Geez, I forgot about that scene... VERY cheesy indeed. :lol :rotfl :lol

This poll makes me wonder if all those folks that always said what trash Alien III was were not just blowing smoke. I am truly amazed that it is fairing so well. I think I may have to find a Directors cut of it, 'cause the version I saw sucked.

I think among the true "Alien" fans, fans of the franchise in general there are more fans that truly appreciate what Alien 3 was supposed to be. As opposed to among the casual fans that just threw it away.

I still thought Predator 2 was a stronger sequel.. especially the ending with the Predator ship and the trophy room... talk about extending the mythos!

If Alien 3 was not riddled with all the studio waffling and pressures, I'm sure it would have turned out to be a FAR better film than it already was.

Sorry, I consider myself a "true" Aliens fan and I feel that Alien III was a huge letdown. The killing off of Hicks and Newt served no purpose other than to save the expense of paying them. That money certainly didn't go towards storyline or special effects. And the ending was perhaps one of the lamest I have ever seen.

I DID have a problem with the cheesy ending... i understand what they were going for, but after seeing how Kane reacted to the "birth" - to see Ripley embrace it lovingly didn't work for me.

Ironman1188 said:
Sorry, I consider myself a "true" Aliens fan and I feel that Alien III was a huge letdown. The killing off of Hicks and Newt served no purpose other than to save the expense of paying them. That money certainly didn't go towards storyline or special effects. And the ending was perhaps one of the lamest I have ever seen.

That's why I prefer the special edition.
No queen birthing shot.
I like the ending. I realize that Ripley was always trying to keep that damned alien out of company hands.

Here's my take, for what it's worth, and note, everyone has their own take on the ALIEN films, so this is just one...

Think modern mentality. Simple torytelling.
Evil Corporations that run everying at everyone else's expense. Everyone is expendable.

IN ALIEN, the crew is, all for the sake of getting an ALien. In ALIENS, Ripley and her gang of soldiers is expendable, again. Same deal. In ALIEN 3, I am not so sure it's just a fire that sends that lifeboat to the prison planet. I think the Company saw to it that the crew, who were always expendable, was somewhere contained, so they could go get the alien. And always, it was Ripley, who was the fly in the ointment. That's why she is the hero, not the others. All of them are expendable. Sad, but that makes for a more somber tale.

To me, any ongoing adventures of Newt and Hicks makes no sense. Hicks would be put in an infirmary and most likely reassigned. Newt, no telling what would have become of her, or if she would have been allowed to stay with Ripley in any way. The company simply wouldn't have allowed it.
And Ripley, her fate was sealed when she survived the Nostromo. She just kept finding ways to get in the middle, and mess it up for the company.

In my opinion, any other storyline defies the direction of this plotline. it had to go something like it did. It is arguable that a better movie could have been made, had they left Fincher alone. But, I like what came, so I am in a decided minority. I accept that.

And, I accept that the true alien story is not about gung ho or battle scenes or all that jazzy stuff, that's just gravy we get in some great movies and stories. No, I think the alien story is far, far bleaker than most people want to accept. And it has ties to the modern world.

The war in Iraq...modern politics, oil, laws...hell, The X-Files, and the reason shows like that have had appeal, is due to this same mystery and doubt that has been here since the Cold War.

It's just a modern Parable. Nothing more. That's why it all has lasting interest.
As for Alien Resurrection? Well...not sure there...I think they just tried to keep it going and couldn't. The Ripley tale was played out.
And AVP is one bad legacy. Sillier direction.
BUT...it has action. Everybody likes action...right?

Oh, and Predator? Interesting idea in it's own right.
I wanted another pure Predator movie, and like P2 just fine. They are just not as deep a story. More primal and basic. Pure. Survival stuff.
When you combine Aliens and Predators, it's mostly for money, licence maintenence, and keeps some folks happy.
I would love to see a Predator 3.
Sad we probably won't. Preds deserve their own stories.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Ironman1188 said:
for use of his photo in Alien 3, Michael Biehn actually got paid as much as he got paid for Aliens. it's true...

and to bring back Newt, they'd have to use a different actor cos Carrie Henn would've aged too much by then. she was 10 at the release of Aliens, 16 for Alien 3. and i don't think using a different actor would've been a good idea...

killing off Newt and Hicks was central to the tone of Alien 3's story. i guess it's not an easy movie to enjoy... everything is just depressing. but that's the point of it... that makes the movie great. Ripley has been an isolated character throughout the franchise and Alien 3 fleshed it out. all the people she ever got close to got killed by aliens. what better way than to isolate her even further than to kill off the two characters at the very beginning. and given the setting of the prison and the inmates, it was brilliant. i appreciate Alien 3 the same way i appreciate SE7EN... no rosy settings. no room for comfort... no happy endings.

my 2 cents :D

Well,
and to bring back Newt, they'd have to use a different actor cos Carrie Henn would've aged too much by then. she was 10 at the release of Aliens, 16 for Alien 3. and i don't think using a different actor would've been a good idea...

Being as Ripley slept for 57 years the last time, I think I may have been able to handle a 6 year jump in Newt.

killing off Newt and Hicks was central to the tone of Alien 3's story.

Ok, I'll give you that. However, them being killed off during the film doesn't mean that the film need start off that way. I think if I had to have the same setting that I would have prefered Hicks, now mostly recovered but perhaps not 100%, and Newt assisting Ripley to flee the prison only to die saving her in the end would have been equally depressing but a more enjoyable journey to that point.

Here's my two cents....

The Alien franchise is seriously flawed when viewed as a "saga". It's what you get when the main motivation for making another film isn't to add another piece to the pre-conceived puzzle but to milk a profitable concept one more time. That is why it's called a franchise.

To me, Alien was a wonderful one-off movie... a great haunted house film set in space. I sometimes think it should have stayed that way. It's kind of funny that the basis for all of these continuing sequels is the desire for "The Company" to get their hands on the Alien to use as a weapon... considering that THAT entity was developed in later drafts of the screenplay. Originally, it was the computer on board the Nostromo that wanted to see the crew meld with the Alien to facilitate man's evolving to the next level. That is why the computer is ironically called "Mother". But it was discarded because it resembled HAL's ambitions in 2001 too much. Too bad... I like that idea MUCH better.

But this change gave birth to "the Company"... the all knowing, all powerful (and implausible) group of suits with the misplaced notion that the Alien could be used as a weapon... a chessy plot device if their ever was one. What company would EVER what a weapon that they cannot control... especially a publically held company? :D

And yes, I think I'm the only person who likes the first film the best. Although it was a fun action film, I thought Aliens spoiled the concept by the same way most sequels spoil the original films... by the thought that more is better. In the first film, there was only one creature... and that ONE creature was enough to destroy most of a nearly unarmed crew of the Nostromo. But the sequel has the marines fighting hordes of them swatting them like flies (albeit BIG acid bleeding flies) reducing the original power of the creature considerably.

Also a feature of sequels is to introduce something even bigger than what was there before. Empire did this with Vader's "Super" Stardestroyer that dwarfed the already big Imperial cruisers. I wonder how long the opening sot of A New Hope would have been if Vader had been chasing the Rebel Blockade Runner with that ride! :lol SO... Aliens up the ante with the introduction of the Queen Alien... a creature that goes against the original concept which had the Alien's victims morphing into the eggs rather than having them needing to be laid by some "bigger" Alien.

This franchise isn't the only one whose installments don't really fit easily together to make any real "big picture" sense. My favorite film of all time Planet of the Apes (which would have made a GREAT one-off film) is part of a soulless franchise born out of the need for the studio hell bent to make more money... whether it destroyed the original concept or not. And as for those continuing Ape installments, well, lets just say that THAT saga still sets the high mark (or is it the low mark?) for implausible plot developments for the sake of merely continuing the franchise. :D

Although the Highlander saga comes close...fans of that franchise have their own plot holes to jump over as well. :monkey3 :monkey3 :monkey3

Like Apes and Highlander, Alien was made with no plan or blueprint for any future installments... so any discussion of plot intregrity will be mired by that fact.

Last edited:
Well, I voted A3, since there wasn't much else to vote for.

Alien is my favorite, hands down.

Back