Besides Detolf, What other cases are there?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised they answered you at all as Detolf is just the model name Ikea chose for their one display case.
Yeah but based on not finding the Sejas listed anywhere on JYSK's website and another local freak confirming it being discontinues I think we are out of luck. As for looking for used retail displays Craigslist is a good place to go but there are also stores that buy these off from failing businesses. If you can find them and negotiate a good deal why not. That's how I got the parts for my custom freestanding shelf
As for Expedite shelves I realize that the figures look better when displayed with space spare around them. Gives them this collector grade feel presentation

Geil - you bring up a good point. How much space should be given when displaying these items? Is it the same for other collectibles (Star Wars plates, ships, and figures)? I want to purchase the HT Light Cycle, but need to make sure the item isn't behind a huge glass, nor too tight against it.

Matt

I like to have at least 1-2" headroom butdepends on what you display. I find more is not always better as it may jus look empty. like I made a batpod case allowing the bat to stand in it but without the bat just looks off. also another case for tumbler with standing bat only had .5" clearance but it looked fine cause the rest was lower. another example was I made a huge case for a 3d puzzle collector for his Manhattan skyline and it looked crazy empty with only 2" clearance as only a few buildings were that tall. in the end I tell most to design around their furniture first cause you likely end up running out of space and start putting more in the same space or shift your collection around so defining a space based on a single figure will reduce your flexibility.
for the lightcycly I intend to dedicate a large shelf space as I will be collecting all HT Tron gear and would love to create some trail out of acrylic. I also picked up smaller scale light runner and light jets to set up in the background to hopefully create the illusion of depth

Geil, thanks for all of that information. You said you make your own acrylic cases - is that very hard? Have you thought about posting the process on YouTube so we can all save some money from having the local shop do it for us?

When you have to spend the same amount on your cases as your statues, there's something wrong!

I actually posted my experience in my blog some time ago. In the end it took many experiments and time and tool purchases to get it right and look right. Getting a good glass cabinet is certainly the way to go. It does look great when it comes to a large grail piece to get a custom case. You don't need many to look good sometimes less is really better. Someone even posted a mod for a coffee table and it looks fantastic. I actually had to copy the idea as it was just too awesome
mf6m.jpg

I actually sold cases some time ago and still need to get back into it to fulfil some outstanding orders when I finally find the time but even with shipping I can still bring value thats how crazy actual shops charge. But there are reasons why they charge like they do so I don't blame them.

Got my Koto Iron Man Mark IV in the mail today! First 12 inch I've ever purchased and I'm stoked!! Guess where this puppy is going? Geil, that Millenium Falcon is pure pimpin' - NICE!!

Personally since in my area there is no IKEA alas, and Jysk arrived too late - and now they are not making the equivalent of Detolf anymore - I had to go the custom cabinet route:

collectiondisplay34.jpg

collectiondisplay32.jpg

collectiondisplay35.jpg

so also trying to think of ways to expand my space and make better use of what I have.

One thing that has crossed my mind is to remove 4 detolfs I have in one area, dismantle them and use the door and back horizontal as shelfs in a wooden framed display unit that I will scratch build.....thoughts ?

For the same space it will only require three shelves made up of 2 backs and 1 front (the bottom and top would be solid wood to provide further stability) which means I would have 2 further back, 3 fronts and 8 sides that I could again turn into shelves with further wooden display units.

The wood to make this would be very reasonable £'s as well...........I just can't find anything available in the UK at a reasonable cost that will do the job.....this would also mean I can control the space between shelves.

I'm not looking at putting heavy items on the shelves either so they should be able to take the weight especially if I do another support half way along the length of the shelf. :wave

No no, that display case seems to be custom made, in Detolf style. Here are 3 Bestas:

IMG_3268.JPG

hi,

seeing as it fits some large bust, Im just curious how deep and how high each shelf is? also, does the glass door open individually on all the 3 levels??

Also, how much is one Besta?

thanks

Last edited:
You can always haunt Craigslist for display cases too...

great suggestion

I had been wanting to move up from detolfs and checked craig's list a couple times a week for wuite a while when I found an antique business going out of business. They were selling all their display cases for a good deal. All glass front and shelves with mirrored backs and locking sliding doors. Had to rent a Uhaul to move three of them but now wish I had bought a couple more.

Be patient and something might eventually come up

Tiger, I just bought three Detolfs and really like them - I'm thinking of adding the light scheme in a YouTube video I found the other day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX6ny3XQeGU). This guy did some nice modifications of the cases.

If you're thinking of modding something, I would consider building better tops for the Detolfs to include a hood for the light wires and a cord pole. The YouTube video addresses the lights, but the guy damaged the base with his mods.

I also like the cases because my items don't require alot of dusting and provide terrific views. Wood cabinets really limit what you can see.

Hope that insight helps.

UPDATE: For those of you who buy Detolfs, be careful to assemble them correctly by turning the metal support beams inward - these are the tall metal frames you install in Step 1. I just had all the shelves for one cabinet collapse because I installed the support beams outward. Lost an Indiana Jones :-(

Last edited:
dust does get into the Detolfs but as I mentioned in another thread you can just get some of the insulating foam tapes from say HomeDepot and close up the gaps the Detolfs have to block them out and if you do it right you should still be able to open and close the door :D

If you have JYSK near you, go visit it. They carry a glass cabinet called 'JYSK Seja Cabinet' it is alsmot double the width of the detolf but the back is not glass like detolf.

Yeah, JYSK is not bad, for those of us without an IKEA (like stupid Halifax). They actually have a Detolf copy, of which I bought two. I would have gotten this as well, but they don't make it in black...

Has anyone else thought of using the kind of shelves used in store displays? They're often quite cool... I just have no idea where to obtain them...

Thanks for posting the pic, definitely get the idea. I like the one-figure-per-shelf display. I must have the 'Billy' name wrong for the name of the unit - I'll be doing something with these shelves:

30353_PE103235_S4.jpg

I love the Expedit. I own it in black and I like how sturdy the top is for my PF's. I have 4 Pf's and my Buffy Throne across the top. I have my Black Cat lsb in one of the squares and my Tick statue, too. I would have liked to put my Lord of Darkness LSB on it, but his horns are too long. Oh well. I really only get great use out of the top because I collect mostly PF's.

But the top of that shelf, for anyone who wants to load it up, is excellent. Thick wood that can easily hold and doesn't buckle the wood below.

Besta is my next move as I have way too many items coming and I just need more shelves. I have no where to put them and I have had to box up 2 pf's and my lod bust. It's sad.

I'll move this thread through to the 'How to display your Collectables' section, you may find more information in there :duff
x :peace

I just brought a besta home and it came with a couple of plastic things that seem to be for attaching to the wall for stability. But the directions are a bit confusing and I can't tell if they go on the outside (at the back where it meets the wall) or on the inside back. I would hope on the outside because the white plastic things would just look so tacky. But the photo makes it look like it goes on the inside. Anyone have an idea?

If you have JYSK near you, go visit it. They carry a glass cabinet called 'JYSK Seja Cabinet' it is alsmot double the width of the detolf but the back is not glass like detolf.

Man I wish there was something like this available in the US.

Back