Besides Detolf, What other cases are there?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craigslist is great for cheap shelves, but you really can't beat the price of a Detolf for what you get and they're perfect for 1/6 scale.

You can have the Detolfs... I'll stick to Craigslist :pfft:

DisplayCaseOct1.jpg

A little under $250 for both (glass doors were removed for the picture) :horror

There are plenty of options out there but I will echo what others are saying, you can't beat the price and functionality of a Detolf. I've tried looking but for $60 dollars I rather focus my funds to the actual figures.

I do one to a shelf as well, along with the box behind the figure. I had to start doubling up until recently though as I made room for 2 more detolfs. It won't be long until I have to double up again though.

Jay

You start with one per shelf then it always ends up more!

I will have to say that it does limit the fields of view.

That's why I use a Detolf over a Billy. It's hard to beat that open glass feel.

All glass makes beautiful:

Source: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3011365#post3011365

I want Detolfs with mirror backs like these:

Before & after shots
P1010140.jpg
P1010142.jpg

Source: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60352

Also, I don't mean to criticize his setup because I love his mirror backs, but I just don't like the Detolf in the corner for the same reason I don't like the Billy. It closes off the right side field of view. I'm sure he just has space limitations. I'm not trying to nitpick. I'm just saying in a perfect world.

Thanks to everyone for their insights. I just purchased two of these Detolfs, and in looking at the above picture, it looks like I would be losing half the space if I placed the units side by side. I have also thought about breaking them up with another piece, like the Billy Morebo. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Your setup looks great! Gives me an idea of converting an older china type cabinet and making it more like a museum display such as yours.

I will have to say that it does limit the fields of view.

thanks. :)

it does limit the view of the collectible. but since my cabinets are lined up in a row against the wall, the only real effective viewing angle is from the front anyway. besides, i change the poses every now and then to show off the other sides of the figures...

One 1/6 figure per shelf? You gotta be kidding me. Maybe if you have under a dozen, but with the way HT is dropping new stuff everyday, that just seem like a lot of negative shelf space.

well, to each his/her own, my friend. what u consider "negative shelf space" actually makes the overall display much more classy and high-end. and each piece is given its due attention to be really showcased. u never see sculptures in an art gallery cramped together in one space do u?

as for keeping up, that's ok. i'm very selective with the 1/6 stuff i get. the bulk of my collection is actually 1:1 replicas like busts, helmets and props. plus 1/4 scale pfs/statues. and those are displayed elsewhere throughout my home...

Last edited:
This configuration is beautiful, just beautiful. Very inspiring.

Bestas are an elegant option, they are intended for larger pieces than 1/6, trough.

Last edited:
This configuration is beautiful, just beautiful. Very inspiring.

Bestas are an elegant option, they are intended for larger pieces than 1/6, trough.

Is the middle display case a Besta from IKEA? I was looking on the website and couldn;t find it anywhere. All I have to say is it looks amazing!

Thanks for posting the pic, definitely get the idea. I like the one-figure-per-shelf display. I must have the 'Billy' name wrong for the name of the unit - I'll be doing something with these shelves:

30353_PE103235_S4.jpg

have one of those for my alien/predator collection mainly.

hottoys.jpg

Is the middle display case a Besta from IKEA? I was looking on the website and couldn;t find it anywhere. All I have to say is it looks amazing!

No no, that display case seems to be custom made, in Detolf style. Here are 3 Bestas:

IMG_3268.JPG

If you have JYSK near you, go visit it. They carry a glass cabinet called 'JYSK Seja Cabinet' it is alsmot double the width of the detolf but the back is not glass like detolf.

Thanks for this, i had no idea about this store and i shall go check it out on the weekend.

Thanks for posting the pic, definitely get the idea. I like the one-figure-per-shelf display. I must have the 'Billy' name wrong for the name of the unit - I'll be doing something with these shelves:

30353_PE103235_S4.jpg

This is actually the Expedite. The price is alright but but there is no option to cover the back and front unless you get innovative. Of cause the real issue is that the dimensions don't work for 1/6 so well

No no, that display case seems to be custom made, in Detolf style. Here are 3 Bestas:

IMG_3268.JPG

I have almost the exact setup and I almost spend C$1000. Bestas are great as they are Ikea's deepest shelves you can get. One great thing about Besta is that you have a lot of options to get a very custom look.
Billy is more shallow but are also slightly cheaper.

This is actually the Expedite. The price is alright but but there is no option to cover the back and front unless you get innovative. Of cause the real issue is that the dimensions don't work for 1/6 so well

i just got the shorter EXPEDIT and love it. it's a bit low for 1/6 but they fit ok. plus i can put heavy PFs and statues on top

Back