Ben Kingsley’s ‘Secret Marvel Project’ Revealed - Marvel Short Film

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was a change made by Shane just for IM3 and was never Jon's intention. He was setting up Mandarin from the first movie with those Ten Rings, they were not a front for AIM. Again thats why this stupid IM3 plot was a slap in the face, not because we didn't get a racist caricature, but because it dumbs down the other two movies as well for plot twist that works one time. Thats also why they fund and help Vanko in 2, that has nothing to do with selling any AIM products...

Well, Favreau sure didn't have any intention of stopping it. Considering he was a producer on the thing. Fergie, Favreau all approved of this idea.

I would be down for a Trevor Slattery series in the vain of Eastbound and Down. It would be better then Agents of Shield. That's for sure.

That was a change made by Shane just for IM3 and was never Jon's intention. He was setting up Mandarin from the first movie with those Ten Rings, they were not a front for AIM. Again thats why this stupid IM3 plot was a slap in the face, not because we didn't get a racist caricature, but because it dumbs down the other two movies as well for plot twist that works one time. Thats also why they fund and help Vanko in 2, that has nothing to do with selling any AIM products...

Granted. But it is what it is.

This, plus Avengers 2 should lead to "fixing" Iron man.

As much as I liked IM3, i think Shane Black was the WRONG guy for the job, and he was given too much free reign.

My first instinct was to think they should just leave the story of Mandarin alone, as is. But as I think more about it, I agree with those of you saying it doesn't really hurt to go this route. In fact, it helps in making the references in the earlier films make more sense. But I did enjoy Iron Man 3, as, I believe, did many others who didn't have certain story-related expectations that weren't met. In the pursuit of telling a certain kind of story, Trevor worked.

No. He was the right man for the job.

Eh... He's a good director. it's a good movie.

But much like MoS, it's a little flawed, and feels like the director and writer team don't really "get" The movie Iron man.

Some parts work, and work REALLY well. others don't.
the BIGGEST problem, is it feels too much like the "END" of a story, without any lead in to the next chapter. It's as if Shane Black set about trying to make a Definiteve ending to the Iron man films. Like he wanted to have the "last word and final say". The story CAN be seen as if it writes itself into a corner, with no way out at the end of the movie EXCEPT Deus Ex Machina ( Pepper with super powers) to close the film, and needing a Joss Ex machina to "fix" Tony for the Avengers.

I'd have liked it to go more along the lines of the Extremis story in the comics. Which it DOES allude to, a little bit.

He perfectly got it. Iron Man is Iron Man without the gadgets and doohickies, and can do anything a super soldier or god can do with his incredible brain.

What's not to get? The only thing that doesn't work is the lame final battle made for ADHD idiots. The film didn't need it. It was better then it.

He perfectly got it. Iron Man is Iron Man without the gadgets and doohickies, and can do anything a super soldier or god can do with his incredible brain.

What's not to get? The only thing that doesn't work is the lame final battle made for ADHD idiots. The film didn't need it. It was better then it.

I guess I'm not putting my thoughts into words properly. YOu're absolutely correct here. He gets it, EXCEPT for the ending. Tony Stark is Iron man without the suit. the suit is part of him, but he can do things without it. He should have INVENTED his own solution at the end that worked. Not... fumbled through it, needing to be saved.

What I meant that black didn't get, is that this is NOT the end of Movie Iron man. that his story will continue on. He did an EXCELLENT job of the charactorizeation, and development of the film plot, and story... untill everything falls flat at the end with the baysplosions.

But he did. He invented a way to not only break into a heavily guarded secret location without his suit...but he also got rid of his pesky Arc Reactor. That doesn't stop him from being Iron Man. It just makes his life a lot easier.

I don't know why people took that as him not being Iron Man any more. That's not at all what that meant. It just meant he grew and understood what he can actually do, and now he has the power to do whatever he wants too.

Let's be honest, as confusing and convoluted as this sounds, the reality is if Mandarin grabs both Trevor and Killian and kills them both with his magic rings fan would go crazy and be demanding for more.

It has the absolute possibility for pushing forward in a positive way. It also has the ability for doing the opposite. I'm in a wait and see positioning here.

I actually disagree with lerath in the sense that I think Black totally gets the new RDJ Iron Man, and this is a story that totally fits with such an odd, non-traditional superhero. In fact, I'm certain Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang was a huge influence on Marvel and Favreu deciding to go with RDJ as Tony (who essentially plays the character from that film). Stark's comic personality gets thrown out the window in the first film, but no huge biggie for most because the comic character never had a huge impact on comic readers so much as the suit itself. If anything, they turned against him after the Civil War. Snyder/Goyer, on the other hand, just completely miss the point of Superman, which is a character fans both serious and casual know and care about, making him dull and unlikable.

--edit: I see he clarified his older post. I'm working on an old, slow computer--

But he did. He invented a way to not only break into a heavily guarded secret location without his suit...but he also got rid of his pesky Arc Reactor. That doesn't stop him from being Iron Man. It just makes his life a lot easier.

I don't know why people took that as him not being Iron Man any more. That's not at all what that meant. It just meant he grew and understood what he can actually do, and now he has the power to do whatever he wants too.

Becuase that, coupled with the grand gesture of blowing up all his suits for Pepper makes it FEEL that way. " This stage of my life is over. I can do whatever i want. and I CHOOSE to be a normal guy, for you"

That's the Vibe it gives off.

He did invent a way to get into the mansion, and all of that. that part of the film was great, and totaly in keeping with the spirit of these films. but then He discovers what they're doing with Extremis, and what's at steak, and simply charges in guns blazing. What he needed, was a NEW plan. Granted, I know he didn't really have time for that, but meh.

Comic storyline : Discovers Extremis. Takes Extremis, FIXES IT, and integrates his armor into his body via Extremis and nanomachine technology.

The thing with the suits is, he made all those in an attempt to deal with his mental state. He felt inadaqute, and scared, so he took time away from his life, and Pepper to build these things to deal with his fears.

Him destroying them was him moving away from them. Not the suits as a whole, but his need for them.

He's always going to use them. But he finally understands he can be just as powerful without them as he is with them. Emotionally.

Mandarin just better have some darn magic rings. I would love to see Kingsley in over the top full-on villain mode wielding the rings.
How about this for an idea, Killian is not dead but is disfigured and his body is pretty much destroyed. Mandarin salvages the head preserving it in a solution that causes it to grow. He then fits what remains of body into a cybernetic suit, resulting in the creation of MODOK.

I like that they're trying to please the fans in some way, they really didn't have to do anything but this is a good gesture on their part.
I still would've preferred IM3 to have gotten the Mandarin right in the first place, Kingsly was fantastic in the trailers.

So I guess all those that kept saying Killian was the real Mandarin in IM3 were wrong. :lol

The thing with the suits is, he made all those in an attempt to deal with his mental state. He felt inadaqute, and scared, so he took time away from his life, and Pepper to build these things to deal with his fears.

Him destroying them was him moving away from them. Not the suits as a whole, but his need for them.

He's always going to use them. But he finally understands he can be just as powerful without them as he is with them. Emotionally.

Well, when you lay it out like that I CAN see it. But that's the problem I think. Some people need that spelled out. I'm not certian if there is a better way to present it, however.

End of the day, it is, what it is.

Mandarin just better have some darn magic rings. I would love to see Kingsley in over the top full-on villain mode wielding the rings.
How about this for an idea, Killian is not dead but is disfigured and his body is pretty much destroyed. Mandarin salvages the head preserving it in a solution that causes it to grow. He then fits what remains of body into a cybernetic suit, resulting in the creation of MODOK.

Huh.. neet idea.

Killian as MODOK is kinda the direction i'm thinking they're gona go too.

Back