Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman vs. Superman (2016)

Wow, both of those choices are really uninspired.

Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor? Really? That's the best they can come up with?

It's funny, I'm hearing alot of comparisons to Michael Rosenbaum with this announcement. Has the bar been set so low that people will be happy if he's as good as the guy from the crappy Smallville show?

Jeremy Irons as Alfred seems dumb as well. Don't get me wrong, I love JI, think he's awesome, but as Alfred? Seems like a waste of great talent.
If this were a cartoon I would think it was great, he has a killer voice, but for a live action movie? Not seeing it. It's almost like they're trying to frontload this movie with names and hoping that'll be enough.

You know, just once I'd like to see Alfred portrayed on screen like he looks in the comic, just once. Alan Napier, Michael Gough, Michael Caine, none of them look anything like the character. Not even close.

Would it be so hard to get someone who looked like this:

FotoSketcher - Result23.jpg

Would it?

Couldn't he, just once, look the part?

It's funny, I'm hearing alot of comparisons to Michael Rosenbaum with this announcement. Has the bar been set so low that people will be happy if he's as good as the guy from the crappy Smallville show?

Say what you will about Smallville, but Rosenbaum's version of Lex is easily the best live action portrayal of the character so far. He carried that show on his shoulders during those middle seasons when the show was absolutely awful.

Not sold on irons who like Willis dont give a flying **** about movies nowdays but just the paycheck, and it shows.
I like Eisenberg in hs regular roles but surprised by hs casting.
Now i just hope that the character is a real SOB pure evil.

Whats with Michael cera?

See, I think Jeremy Irons could pull off that look above, mustache and all. I'm actually pretty excited about his casting.

While I didn't hate Michael Caine as Alfred (well, until TDKR), that cockney accent and personality always felt so wrong. Gough was good, but too buterlike and warm. Alfred in my mind should be a proper gentlemen's gentlemen, almost like C-3PO but not gay. Like that witty, droll humor that puts Batman in his place.

3567589-batman_tas_alfred.jpeg

I am not looking forward to this movie, how can Batman ever have a chance against Superman? Also the choice for Batman bothers me, the sound track for MOS was poor. If you get the soundtrack it is all the same. And now they get this weedy little man to play Lex. Oh dear God no. Thank God the poor dear inventors of Superman are resting in peace. They would be turning in their graves now if they could see what has been done to their hero.:gah:

Also my dear Daron who left us, he would hate the idea of this weedy man playing Lex. He already hated the idea behind Batman V Superman. He hated like me the one who is to play Batman. Lex needs to played by an actor that has some on screen presence. Gene Hackman had it and so did Kevin Spacey. Ok the character of Lex has changed a lot over time, but to allow this weedy looking man to play Lex is a massive mistake. You may as well redo Smallville. Even Lex in this terrible show was better. Good bye to Superman:monkey2, as this movie will indeed kill him off. These lot who are making this stupid movie are the kryptonite which will kill Superman......R.I.P:rip

Your vision of Superman is dead.
Donners vision of Superman is dead.
But Snyders is not.
Now that you dont like its fine.
But there s as many superman as there are authors behind him.

Pretty much like Marlon Brando. And he was one of the shining moments in S:TM
True he did it for money but at least his performance echoed roles he was invested in, playing low key might have helped.
But Irons you can see a big difference between now and then i think.
Wait and see :)

True he did it for money but at least his performance echoed roles he was invested in, playing low key might have helped.
But Irons you can see a big difference between now and then i think.
Wait and see :)

He wasn't really invested in it though. He acted all douchey during the shoot and talked about bagels. He basically just showed up for the paycheck and did a good job zoning out throughout his parts.

Thankfully, that didn't pick up on screen and "Jor-El" was perfectly fine.

I know i meant it echoed past rôles he was actually invested in.
And since his acting technique is to play low key it was not hard for him.

Say what you will about Smallville, but Rosenbaum's version of Lex is easily the best live action portrayal of the character so far. He carried that show on his shoulders during those middle seasons when the show was absolutely awful.

Is he? I think that's subjective. I'll admit, I'm not a fan of Smallville. Hated it, in fact. To me it was just a bunch of kids who happen to have the same names of different charactors entirely. Playing Luthor is a lot more than just being bald.

I really don't want to see LL as some whiz kid. I want to see him as a grown-up. A man.

It's easy to say how Luthor should be portrayed now, as the billionaire industrialist who controls things behind the scenes, runs for President, acts as if he only has the best intentions for Metropolis, etc., etc, but that whole concept is relatively new. You have to look at when these movies or tv shows were made.

Take Gene Hackman. He gets a lot of flack because of the, "real estate scheme" in S:TM, but what else were the film makers supposed to do? They were trying to make a somewhat believable character from a comic book. A more realistic take years before Chris Nolan ever," invented" the idea.

Back in the early 70's when they were developing that movie, Luthor was just a "mad scientist", who built death rays and duplicating machines. After that, he headed up the, "Legion of Doom" and wore a pretty silly outfit. There was no way they were going to go in that direction.

So what was left? Personally, I always thought that his plan was pretty ingenious. Buy up all the worthless land in California, set off a nuke in the fault line, and presto, instant beach front property. It wasn't like no one would be hurt, millions of people would be killed. All for the sake of a room with a view. Sounds pretty evil to me.

As a kid seeing it, it wasn't unbelievable, just the opposite; it was entirely believable. It was only stupid when they tried going that route again in Superman Returns.

I liked Gene Hackman as Luthor. But then again, I like Gene Hackman. In fact, the only problem I had with him was that he was only bald at the end.

But even that made sense. He was a vain guy who hated being bald. It played in to the charactor.

Even with all that said though, I feel if you want the best live action version of Luthor, it would be Lyle Talbot, who played him in "Atom Man vs. Superman".

Bald, heavy, evil scientist- just like the comics. He looked like him, and acted like him.

Perfect.

I get that, but even $116 million isn't a shabby grab at the box office. One has to wonder if we'd be getting a sequel if WB hadn't crammed all the past attempts' development costs into the budget. That's what killed it.

I don't think any company gives the green light on the monstrous advertising budget GL had and expects a 116 mil domestic box office. I think it performing light years below expectations killed it.

So far, I'm keen on any of the casting choices so far. Minus Cavill. Cavill is the only actor, IMO, that actually looks the part of his character. Batfleck may be okay once he's in costume, so we'll see with that one. Gal as WW? She's as skinny as a stick and has a long road ahead of her to at least appear athletic?! But the latest casting calls for Luthor, the Rock as GL?! I'm just NOT feeling it at all. I can see Johnson playing a DC character more suitable for him but NOT a GL. (Heck, I still hope that's only a rumor). I've not giving up hope on this project yet... But geez, its seems like WB is going all out to make their fans angry with all of this! :slap

Didn't know he was being considered, but doesn't seem like he'd look too bad.
uploads_385e1ffe-ee8a-4a87-84a3-61487c2c776c-HP_5.jpg

I don't think any company gives the green light on the monstrous advertising budget GL had and expects a 116 mil domestic box office. I think it performing light years below expectations killed it.

You completely misunderstood the point I was trying to make, but that's okay, given it was aimed at Khev, who did. :nana: :duff :lol

You can't get a guy who is bigger then superman and batman the rock is a monster .

I want to be able to disagree with it but I can't. You're probably right in that The Rock has more legit fans than even Ben Affleck. :lol

You can't get a guy who is bigger then superman and batman the rock is a monster .

That's what I keep saying. Why would you pick a guy with a monstrous physique to play a character whose power comes from a magic ring? It's a waste. If they cast him as anyone other than Black Adam, it's a colossal mistake.

Back