Batman : Arkham Origins (2013) Asylum Prequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the story yesterday. I really liked the story in this one. I liked the explanation of Bane being so HUGE in the other games. I liked the introduction of the Joker. Makes we want another origins game with the intro of other characters.

I thought it was quite stupid.

It takes place in the 1970s but Barbra has a cell phone and "texts" and so does Sionis' gf. Well thought out WB.

Batman for the very first time meets Killer Croc, Joker, Penguin, Calendar Man, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bane, Harley Quinn and several other villains for the first time all in the same 8 hour window.

The Joker lets no one, including Black Mask's henchmen know who he is until the reveal at the bank yet in about a half hour they manage to covert the Gotham Royale into a funhouse with a jokerized functional roller coaster.

Banes brain damage is completely retarded. It's Wolverine Adamantium bullet dumb. Him using Venom also conflicts with AA's story brain damage or no.

Also Bane has an army of hundreds of mercs who helped him break into Wayne Manor and hear him call Batman Mr. Wayne during the Blackgate riots, did they all suffer memory loss so Bane wouldn't feel left out?

I could keep going for a while but you get the idea.

I thought it was quite stupid.

It takes place in the 1970s but Barbra has a cell phone and "texts" and so does Sionis' gf. Well thought out WB.

Batman for the very first time meets Killer Croc, Joker, Penguin, Calendar Man, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bane, Harley Quinn and several other villains for the first time all in the same 8 hour window.

The Joker lets no one, including Black Mask's henchmen know who he is until the reveal at the bank yet in about a half hour they manage to covert the Gotham Royale into a funhouse with a jokerized functional roller coaster.

Banes brain damage is completely retarded. It's Wolverine Adamantium bullet dumb. Him using Venom also conflicts with AA's story brain damage or no.

Also Bane has an army of hundreds of mercs who helped him break into Wayne Manor and hear him call Batman Mr. Wayne during the Blackgate riots, did they all suffer memory loss so Bane wouldn't feel left out?

I could keep going for a while but you get the idea.

Who said it takes place in the 70s?

SnakeDoc

It doesn't take place in the 70's. Not even vaguely hinted at. Did you even play the game?

Just because your signature is stuck in the 70's doesn't mean this game took place then :lol

The cars, the calendars all over the buildings that say 1970s, the white boards with writing and vent cleaning schedules on them that say 1973 in the GCPD, Sionis Industries, the Final Offer, the Royale etc. The televisions ... Did you actually play the game or do you not get enough detail to see those things on consoles? Gordon having brown hair. Alfred. The fact that City takes place in the 90s and this is supposed to be a good time before that. Most have pegged this as taking place between 73-79 sometime.

Last edited:
The cars, the calendars all over the buildings that say 1970s, the white boards with writing and vent cleaning schedules on them that say 1973 in the GCPD, Sionis Industries, the Final Offer, the Royale etc. The televisions ... Did you actually play the game or do you not get enough detail to see those things on consoles? Gordon having glasses instead of contacts and brown hair. Alfred. The fact that City takes place in the 90s and this is supposed to be a good time before that. Most have pegged this as taking place between 73-79 sometime.

I find this hard to believe and even if it is true there are a million things in this game that are far more future tech than a cell phone. Flat screen computer monitors and just about everything batman uses in the entire game.

How would AC even been in the 90s there would still be future tech.

:lol You guys are too much. How do you not know these things?

The computer monitors are not flatscreens, the only place they have computers are like penguins giant briefcased sized ones for the networks and the ones for opening doors but I chalk that upto WB Montreal being too lazy to change the system for opening locked doors. You have to remember how much of AC they are reusing. The GCPD and other buildings are using typewriters not pcs. The GCPD having a massive criminal database and Batman having a "pwnbox" is just another thing most people chalk upto WB montreal being morons. Check out the AO forums and you'll see alot of people already know these things.

The dedication plaque on the wall in AC states that AC opened 19XX the last two numbers scratched out and unreadable but obviously it takes place 19something and most have assumed late 1990ish likely around the time of the animated series since it's the same writers. Asylum was years before that and this is clearly way before asylum.

Who is this most you are referring to? This is a pretty fascinating idea but the bat computer certainly has flat screen computers

Yes Batman has all kinds of tech but most chalk that upto him being Batman. Check out the AO forums theres several threads there about the timeline and one has screens of the calendars and cleaning schedules with the dates on them. There is an air duct cleaning schedule that shows checks through the 70s upto like 1973.

Again if AC is taking place in the 90s and AA years before that, Gordon, Alfred everyone is clearly far older than in Origins. The math just adds up.

AC also had Bats encounter way too much in a nights time as well. :dunno

Eh, grapple issue aside, I still had fun playing it.

And I now have carpal tunnel syndrome.

:lol Well of course, 20+ hours of gameplay in one night seems a bit impossible.

I'm talking more about the fact that he meets all these guys for the first time the same night. Joker, Gordon, Riddler, Penguin, Bane, Deathstroke, Croc, Deadshot, Harley most of the other henchman. He'd never been face to face with any of them before. And he goes from a completely unknown to winning Gordon's complete trust in one night. He comes on the radio after you beat the game and wants your help rounding up the blackgate prisoners.

The cars, the calendars all over the buildings that say 1970s, the white boards with writing and vent cleaning schedules on them that say 1973 in the GCPD, Sionis Industries, the Final Offer, the Royale etc. The televisions ... Did you actually play the game or do you not get enough detail to see those things on consoles? Gordon having brown hair. Alfred. The fact that City takes place in the 90s and this is supposed to be a good time before that. Most have pegged this as taking place between 73-79 sometime.

That a cell phone appears would indicate otherwise. That's too big to be an anachronism. But, from the trailer ...

vlcsnap2013052014h33m45.png

SnakeDoc

That was already pointed out in the timeline thread. The people who made that trailer had nothing to do with the production of the game itself. Differant studio.

I think it's pretty obvious the game does not take place in 2013 unless you really believe that WB Montreal knows more about this timeline than Rocksteady who definately established City takes place in the 1990s. :dunno The AC wall was built sometime in the 90s period. Thats cannon, it was even a Riddle you had to scan.

I don't see any of the stuff you are talking about anywhere on the web. But it really doesn't matter because everyone in these games has technology more advanced than a current cell phone so complaining about a cell phone isn't a valid complaint either way. It is an interesting idea tho.

Last edited:
I don't see any of the stuff you are talking about anywhere on the web. But it really doesn't matter because everyone in these games has technology more advanced than a current cell phone so complaining about a cell phone isn't a valid complaint either way.

I didn't find anything either. No calendars other than the one that said 2013. No dates. Calendar Man's cell had months, but no year. No timeline thread that comes up on Google. Nothing.

I see no reason to believe this game took place in the 70s. Or that AC took place in the 90s, for that matter.

SnakeDoc

Of course thats minor, Mr Freeze exists and can freeze people. Any gripe I have with the story is obviously going to be my opinion. :dunno But things like Bane's brain damage are alot more glaring and things like the constant bugs and glitches are fact and real problems. I still was only able to beat this game because a regular nobody came up with a way to fix the game code and I had to manually implement it. They still haven't fixed the game for PC so you can beatdown the Joker at the end so for anyone who hasnt found that they have had their experiance ruined for over a week now while WB announces more DLC incoming. :cuckoo:

Of course all of that doesn't change the fact that the game takes place in the 70s. :lol I'm telling you the stuff is there, go and look for yourself and find the whiteboards and duct cleaning schedules that mark off the 70s. It's there in the GCPD.

I see no reason to believe this game took place in the 70s. Or that AC took place in the 90s, for that matter.

SnakeDoc

Well than your a horrible Batman fan with a poor memory. :lol It was even a Riddle in AC. If you believe Origins takes place in 2013 than AC takes place in what 2025? Yet they built the wall in 1990 before Origins. You've clearly thought this out.

I think the story was head and shoulders above the other two. The glitches I will agree with you on and its certainly not as polished as the other two but it also does a lot of things better than the other two like Boss fights, story and portrayal of characters. Batman is done so well in this and thats even without Conroys voice. So is Bane, Alfred, Deadshot, Croc, Gordon and dare I say it Joker.

The Glitches suck and most of the side quests are lack luster but it has the best campaign in the series IMO.

I do love the Deathstroke fight and thought a few others were good. Copperhead was pretty cool. Firefly was ok though I was hoping we'd get better aerial combat. They definately made a few of the boss fights fun. Playing combat challenges as Deathstroke was probably the highlight for me.

That Batwing and that computer are way too advanced for the 1970's. There are two things that don't mix: superheroes and timelines. Even in the comic books, you're liable to get your brain parts twisted in a tizzy before you're able to come up with an accurate depiction of when, and in what order, events occurred.:lol Let it be, folks...let it be.

Come on man Electrocutioner is the best boss fight eva!

:lol Yea that was unexpected.

It's funny how going in one of my biggest concerns was Joker being religated to just an assassin who shows up in Gotham to kill Batman for money and wound up being the focus again.

I really hope the next game will give some of the lesser villains even more time. Was looking forward to Black Mask.

Back