Batman : Arkham Origins (2013) Asylum Prequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theres a Crocodile Man. Mr. Freeze. My tech issues with cell phones aside I will stand by it being the 70s. :lecture The vent schedules labeling the 1970s in this one + the plaque in AC dedicating AC's opening happing before 2000 is all I need. The cars, tvs, and typewriters, Gordon's hair, Alfred's hair and look are just extra reinforcement :duff

I'm telling you guys it's in there, go and find it.

These games don't take place in any specific time period. Just like James Bond, Batman is constantly staying in the present despite having a long, long history with lots of dated bits throughout it.

Its no secret that the Arkham Games are heavily inspired from Batman the Animated Series. And that show had a very 40's-50ish feel to everything - the cars, the Black and White TVs, the guns and fedoras, etc but the Bat computer existed, there were robots, freeze guns, etc The idea was kind of a 'what if' approach as if the World's Fair influence continued.

Did BTAS take place in the 40s or 50s? No, of course not. It doesn't have a specific point in time - just like these Arkham games. Origins takes place before AA, but we honestly don't know how far apart the first game is from this one. Barb is young, but since we never actually see her in AA or AC, we don't know how old she 'currently' is either. Yeah Gordon has brown hair, but I've seen Gordon portrayed in comics with brown hair only to go gray practically overnight when he gets the commissioner job. So we could be looking at 5 years, 10 years, 20? Who really knows. They are purposely keeping it vague so they don't paint themselves into a corner so they can still stick in a few more prequel games in. We didn't see Harvey become Two-face, didn't see Harley become Harley Quinn just yet, we really don't even really know what Robin (if any) he is currently using. Lots of leeway room.

:dunno

But for the record, I've never seen any specific mention of a year in any Arkham game.

Time to give back those "World's Greatest Detective" achievements. :lol

knobs on the tv, smoking indoors, a typewriter, phone book, the phone...

google 1970s radio and look at the very first image.

Tons of stuff in the GCPD about Gordon, Selina being Falcone's daughter, Jefferson Skeevers etc.

I'd happily boot up city and show you the plaque but I don't have it installed.

Last edited:
Never got that achievement :lol

It certainly does appear to be the 70's alright. But I still think its the "70s" like the animated series was in the "40s." In that style, but with access to much better tech.

I just assumed the GCPD was run down with next to no-budget for new stuff. Gotham has never really been a clean, pretty city :lol

Well theres two ways of looking at it the way I see it. They were being carefree about it like Quentin was in Death Proof when he added in cell phones even though it's supposed to be like the late 70s. But that's probably giving WB Montreal a bit too much credit :lol and in reality they probably had to reuse certain things like I said, like the flat panel door entry pads, because they only had so much time to make new stuff.

I've personally always figured AC takes place around 1995, after the Animated Series ended since it's the same writers and similar character set ups/Voice actors etc. Can't be later than 99 though like I said and if you subtract 20 years that puts you around 75-79. Meaning Bruce is about 20 something in Origins which is in line with a Dev video stating he's only been Batman about 2 years and what Alfred says about not being hardened but a young man etc. And early to mid 40s in City which also seems about right to me. Gives Alf time to lose his hair, Gordon grays, Barb is crippled, **** becomes Robin and then Nightwing and then Jason becomes Robin etc.

I suppose that would explain why Babs is dressed like a Ramones/Sex Pistols inspired gutterpunk girl.:lol I'd say it's pretty smart on their part, though. Frees up a TON of potential storylines (20+ years). Nice find, Deckard! With that in mind, I still say there's a ton of tech that's way too advanced for the 70's.:lol

How come my Atari games didn't look like Detective Vision? Where was my holographic computer screen wristband? My 70's sucked. Adam West didn't have those either!!

Wow Deckard, I guess I overlooked some of those details. You do make some very good points. I must have missed the part of Selina being Falcone's daughter. :slap

The bane brain damage is ridiculous. I do agree with that.

Nice observations Deckard!

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for some of the things in those screenshots you posted on my next playthrough.

There's certainly compelling evidence to show the date in the game is the 1970's, but at the same time, it's not instantly recogniseable as that timeframe. Taking into acount the tech, fashion, language, architecture & signage.... it's most certainly not a period piece by any means.

I guess it's more logical to think of it as an "Arkhamverse 1970's" just as, like Buttmunch pointed out earlier, BTAS had it's own unique time period that mixed architecture, fashion, tech etc. but had no defined date.

I personally think the developers putting dates in these games is a negative aspect. I'd say having a more ambiguous timeframe would work better for the games and for Batman in general. BTAS captured it perfectly.

I think the story was head and shoulders above the other two.
The Glitches suck and most of the side quests are lack luster but it has the best campaign in the series IMO.

:lecture Me too. I also agree that the Boss encounters were awesome in this game. The only one that I have issue with is the Copperhead fight.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I put it in spoilers just in case someone is reading this thread before finishing the main story.

~~And I try not to think about times as far as years go. Putting a specific year on anything is foolish IMO. With the multiple story lines in the Batman universe and the alternate stories during any and all of these timelines is too confusing to keep track of. Just make a clear distinction that one precedes another one if intended to be a prequel and that's all I ask for (which IMO they did by making Gordon, Alfred, and Batman noticeably younger than in the sequels)

I recently got an iPhone so I was finally able to download the mobile game of Arkham Origins. And Deathstroke, Bane, and Deadshot all have 2 different versions in the game. There is of course the masked and unmasked Bane and Deathstroke, but the alternate Deadshot is interesting:

batman_arkham_origins_ios___deadshot_elite_by_riccochet2005-d6rikan.png

It looks much more like his new 52 helmet. Makes me wonder if DCC will go deep enough into this line to give us different versions of the assassins like Unmasked Deathstroke, Bane, and this Deadshot. I don't know why they didn't make this the primary model for him.

:lecture Me too. I also agree that the Boss encounters were awesome in this game. The only one that I have issue with is the Copperhead fight.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I put it in spoilers just in case someone is reading this thread before finishing the main story.

That's happening inside his head, though.

Wonder if Freeze will have his Polar Bears. Theres also alot of hints that the DLC will involve Calander Man and an attempt on Gordon's life at the GCPD New Years party.

Also a few grabs I got while I was in the GCPD, theres tons more of this kinda stuff like in Gordon's office, the booking room, SWAT bullpen etc. And of course in other locations like the Final Offer.

All of the mob families in Gotham :

And Selina possibly being Falcone's daughter.

Looks like Carla Viti is currently running Gotham and not Carmine.

Back