Media Batman: Arkham Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with both of you actually. I can see where Jye is coming from, I don't think there has been one game created that has been Oscar worthy, but I don't blame that on the quality of the stories, but more so the character performances in these games haven't been able to pull of performances like a great actor could. I think there has been plenty of awesomely written games but of course the voice acting has never been up to par with the acting of a live action movie. Metal Gear Solid 1 is my favorite game of all time, and Hayter did a great job for a video game, but that kind of dialogue and acting would never fly in a movie. Naughty Dawg has come the closest to bridging that gap between both mediums but the story in their games have never been the strongest, their attention to detail, character development, and mocap/voice acting performances is really where they excel at. I have quite a few issues with Last of Us's story. I will say this though, I think Uncharted 2 is better than The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in every way possible, even in the acting department :lol

I do agree with Gaspar that the Arkham games are better than the Burton Batman films in every possible way except for the acting and it's not that far behind in that department either :lol

:lol

image.jpg

The hype is making everyone bait each other in their posts. This place isn't going to make it to Tuesday. :lol

Wasn't trying to bait you Difabio :lol, but to me, the atmosphere and nostalgia are the two best things about the Burton flicks, I prefer the Arkham universe in everything else.

We are all master baiters afterall. :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

No, it wasn't just that (or just your post) pturtle, no worries. All of us are looking to get embroiled in something because of the hype. Can you guys feeeeeeeel it?

My bro is getting all antsy and mean with everyone, especially since his exclusives got cancelled. He just wants to play this **** now and even took work off next week. :lol This **** is going to sell a ton of copies.

I won't lie, I can feel it :lol

I might just hit a bar up tonight and start a brawl, the wait is killing me :lol

Eh, the way I see it, it's not that Joker "died" in Arkham City....it's that he died (with no air quotes) -- as in he is really dead in the Arkham Universe, just like RockSteady said he is. Memories, hallucinations, references, etc is not nearly the same thing as making him fake his death / bringing him back from the dead / undoing his death etc. As long as the character is really still d-e-a-d DEAD when the credits roll at the end of Arkham Knight, that's what matters. I don't recall RockSteady promising to not ever mention and steer completely clear of any direct references to the character in Arkham Knight --- which is basically exactly the opposite of what Nolan did when he said (paraphrasing here) that he doesn't want to even mention or have a flashback scene of Ledger's Joker in TDKR.

I won't lie, I can feel it :lol

I might just hit a bar up tonight and start a brawl, the wait is killing me :lol

Also, because I can't resist, on the subject of Burton Batman world vs. Arkham world, I think it's straight up stupid to say that the Arkham games are better films/movies. I mean, where the **** did that come from? :lol

These Arkham games aren't movies, they're video games. Apples and oranges. They can't be better movies because they're not movies! The 4 games (assuming Knight is good, I don't see why it wouldn't be) are more fun and immersive than all 8 live action Batman movies. Ain't going to even argue against that. In these games you can BE Batman. You can fly around the city, beat up villains, play as sidekicks, solve puzzles, and fight dozens upon dozens of colorful rogues that the films will never touch. Not to mention you're following an adventure and playing missions that are more than a mere, 2 and a half hour movie. You won't hear any groaning from me. Of course the games are better in that regard, the medium offers way more for the consumer to do.

With that said though, these games would be better if they gave us some film skins. Imagine driving around in the '89 Batmobile, or gliding around in the Begins Batsuit, or grappling enemies in the '89 Batsuit. Julie Mewmar, Pfieiffer, Hathaway playable Catwoman skins anyone? It'd be pure bliss. Dunno why they don't do this.

Last edited:
Eh, the way I see it, it's not that Joker "died" in Arkham City....it's that he died (with no air quotes) -- as in he is really dead in the Arkham Universe, just like RockSteady said he is. Memories, hallucinations, references, etc is not nearly the same thing as making him fake his death / bringing him back from the dead / undoing his death etc. As long as the character is really still d-e-a-d DEAD when the credits roll at the end of Arkham Knight, that's what matters. I don't recall RockSteady promising to not ever mention and steer completely clear of any direct references to the character in Arkham Knight --- which is basically exactly the opposite of what Nolan did when he said (paraphrasing here) that he doesn't want to even mention or have a flashback scene of Ledger's Joker in TDKR.

Dunno if you want spoilers, so beware.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Also, because I can't resist, on the subject of Burton Batman world vs. Arkham world, I think it's straight up stupid to say that the Arkham games are better films/movies. I mean, where the **** did that come from? :lol

These Arkham games aren't movies, they're video games. Apples and oranges. They can't be better movies because they're not movies! The 4 games (assuming Knight is good, I don't see why it wouldn't be) are more fun and immersive than all 8 live action Batman movies. Ain't going to even argue against that. In these games you can BE Batman. You can fly around the city, beat up villains, play as sidekicks, solve puzzles, and fight dozens upon dozens of colorful rogues that the films will never touch. Not to mention you're following an adventure and playing missions that are more than a mere, 2 and a half hour movie. You won't hear any groaning from me.

With that said though, these games would be better if they gave us some film skins. Imagine driving around in the '89 Batmobile, or gliding around in the Begins Batsuit, or grappling enemies in the '89 Batsuit. Julie Mewmar, Pfieiffer, Hathaway playable Catwoman skins anyone? It'd be pure bliss. Dunno why they don't do this.

Well the line is thinning between both mediums the more these games progress. I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison in like who's the better Joker, Nicholson or Hamill's voice and RS animation team :lol but to me, these games can't be Oscar worthy not because of the quality of their story but because tvoice acting or just the acting itself can't compete with real trained actor. As much as people love Hamill, I don't think what he does in these games can translate to movies very well, and if it did, I certainly don't think he embodies the Joker physically. All I was really saying before is I find the Arkham universe and their take on Batman a lot more interesting than Burtons and I was also kind of ******** on the acting from the Burton flicks :lol

That's conjecture at this point. Let me know when it's definite. Like I said, if the credits roll and Joker is still d-e-a-d, then all of his "appearances" post-AC will have been a great build-up to....precisely nothing. Thomas Wayne, Harvey Dent, and Ra's Al Ghul all appeared in either flashbacks or hallucinations in TDKR, and they were no less dead when the credits rolled.

Characters that are dead (really dead -- not coming back dead) have "appearances" in memories, flashbacks, hallucinations ALL THE TIME in fiction without it meaning that their return to the land of the living is imminent.

Spoiler Spoiler:

We'll see for sure soon enough I guess.

Well the line is thinning between both mediums the more these games progress. I wasn't trying to make a direct comparison in like who's the better Joker, Nicholson or Hamill's voice and RS animation team :lol but to me, these games can't be Oscar worthy not because of the quality of their story but because tvoice acting or just the acting itself can't compete with real trained actor. As much as people love Hamill, I don't think what he does in these games can translate to movies very well, and if it did, I certainly don't think he embodies the Joker physically. All I was really saying before is I find the Arkham universe and their take on Batman a lot more interesting than Burtons and I was also kind of ******** on the acting from the Burton flicks :lol

And I agree with you, especially about games like Half Life, Red Dead Redemption and the Last of Us that are blur the world of games with their cinematic presentation.

The movies (not just Burton, but the Schumacher, Nolan, and eventually Snyder pictures too) only offer a mere slice of what these games have given players the ability to do. We're not just sitting down and watching a story where Batman fights the Joker and saves Vicki Vale, or goes up against Bane and Talia with the help of Catwoman. We're getting playable stories that allow us to fight and interact with pretty much every key character from the Batman lore, AS Batman (and now, Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing too). You can have one hell of a time throwing down 60 bucks and playing these Arkham games than throwing down 10 bucks to see a movie. That's not a dig at any of the movies either, they're different mediums that offer different things. We can't forget about the comics or books either.

And I agree with you about the voice acting too. As much as I love Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill from their 20+ year careers as these two characters, I always cringe when people say they're the best and most definitive when all they are is a voice recording in a booth. Not that it doesn't take skill or talent mind you, it's just, that's all they are, a voice. There's also the fact that they've portrayed different versions of the character over the years, not just one main one. You have cartoons with several different animation studios (of which several produced some shoddy looking Jokers) of several different series', animated movies, children's story book recordings, Sega games, playstation games, modern games, etc.

Last edited:
That's conjecture at this point. Let me know when it's definite. Like I said, if the credits roll and Joker is still d-e-a-d, then all of his "appearances" post-AC will have been a great build-up to....precisely nothing. Thomas Wayne, Harvey Dent, and Ra's Al Ghul all appeared in either flashbacks or hallucinations in TDKR, and they were no less dead when the credits rolled.

Characters that are dead (really dead -- not coming back dead) have "appearances" in memories, flashbacks, hallucinations ALL THE TIME in fiction without it meaning that their return to the land of the living is imminent.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

And I agree with you, especially about games like Half Life, Red Dead Redemption and the Last of Us that are blur the world of games with their cinematic presentation.

The movies (not just Burton, but the Schumacher, Nolan, and eventually Snyder pictures too) only offer a mere slice of what these games have given players the ability to do. We're not just sitting down and watching a story where Batman fights the Joker and saves Vicki Vale, or goes up against Bane and Talia with the help of Catwoman. We're getting playable stories that allow us to fight and interact with pretty much every key character from the Batman lore, AS Batman (and now, Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing too). You can have one hell of a time throwing down 60 bucks and playing these Arkham games than throwing down 10 bucks to see a movie. That's not a dig at any of the movies either, they're different mediums that offer different things. We can't forget about the comics or books either.

And I agree with you about the voice acting too. As much as I love Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill from their 20+ year careers as these two characters, I always cringe when people say they're the best and most definitive when all they are is a voice recording in a booth. Not that it doesn't take skill or talent mind you, it's just, that's all they are, a voice. There's also the fact that they've portrayed different versions of the character over the years, not just one main one. You have cartoons with several different animation studios (of which several produced some shoddy looking Jokers) of several different series', animated movies, children's story book recordings, Sega games, playstation games, modern games, etc.

We finally agree

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Welp, not long after these posts this happened. :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

EDIT:

Someone saved the footage that gotten taken down from YouTube and put up on Instagram.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Back