Batman '89 Vs. The Dark Knight '08

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially since Nolan calls Burton's bat-film brilliant in interviews :cool:(something Begins fans ignore).

Especially since Nolan calls Burton's bat-film brilliant in interviews :cool:(something Begins fans ignore).

You know I for one love all the batman film (well maybe except Batman and Robin , I cant say I LOVE it but, but I will sit down to watch every once an awhile). But my point is, would Nolan really trash the Burton films publically? I dont think so. He is going to say that reguardless, that is why I dont take any of those comments to heart.

And I dont think he will want to associate his films with Burton's in anyway, they are 2 very different beasts.

You know I for one love all the batman film (well maybe except Batman and Robin , I cant say I LOVE it but, but I will sit down to watch every once an awhile). But my point is, would Nolan really trash the Burton films publically? I dont think so. He is going to say that reguardless, that is why I dont take any of those comments to heart.

And I dont think he will want to associate his films with Burton's in anyway, they are 2 very different beasts.

Why would he trash the burton films? He even borrowed his idea of a black rubber suit. If he did not like Burtons batman movies he would have said "i like burtons batman movies" but he said he thought batman was brilliant that is really something else, so i think he means it.

“I think that when Tim Burton made his film in 1989, which was a brilliant film, visionary and extraordinarily idiosyncratic, it’s a very, very stylized movie.

He obviously is impressed by the craftmanship contained in Burton's Batman.

Its not untouched.

Here is the original trailer:

https://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi850985241/

Like I said. Someone tried really hard to do this.

That's what I noticed as well... It's very good.. But he had access to the entire 89 film to do so. But very well done. Entertaining at least. :rock

And a testament to how cool the 89 film is, and the reason that EVERY Batfilm since will be held to it's standard of cool.

You know I for one love all the batman film (well maybe except Batman and Robin , I cant say I LOVE it but, but I will sit down to watch every once an awhile).

I disagree here, none of the Batman movies for me have really captured Batman as I saw him as a kid or as a teenager. Nolan's comes the closest but even has its faults. The Dark Knight though seems to be closer to the mark IMHO then BB was and I am really looking forward to its release.

Why would he trash the burton films? He even borrowed his idea of a black rubber suit.

Nolan's batsuit isn't the same as Burton's. Similar because are meant to be functional but very, very different.

I like the 89 Batman for what it was, the first real Batman movie done on the appropriate scale and its fun to look back fondly at it but there was so much wrong with it that the saving graces are few. What I didn't like about Burton's Batman is the same I didn't like about Schumacher's Batman which was they didn't really try to bring the comic world into 3-D but instead create their own versions or spins on them. They were visionaries styled stories that had their own canons and their own origins even if they were loosely tied to one another. You cannot say that Kilmer's Wayne even in an attempt was close to Keaton's Wayne, they were from two different worlds it seemed even though they were supposed to be in continuity and I think it has less to do with the actor choice and more with who is at the helm shaping the story.

Burton's was dark and a bit jaded as is all of his other works from Nightmare Before Christmas to the Charlie and Chocolate Factory....that is the world he inhabits in his mind and his Batman stories to me where what he must realistically look at when he sees Batman, and if you followed his ideas for Superman when he had that project in his hands you see just how interesting his POV actually is.

What makes Nolan's Batman great to me is that its set in reality, it strives to make the impossible possible by using realism to the max which is sorely missed from this genre at times.

There is no comparison and even though Nolan respect Burton, his take and films dealing with Batman are only slightly higher ranking than the 1960s camp that proceeded that.

There is no comparison and even though Nolan respect Burton, his take and films dealing with Batman are only slightly higher ranking than the 1960s camp that proceeded that.

Hmmm ok:lol, not really but i not going in this argument again, my views about the superiority of Burton's compared to Nolan's bat-vision are in several threads already. I think Nolan's batman world looks like a Michael Bay world.

Watching the new trailer i still can't get over how bad Bale is as batman. He really lacks maturity.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree.

In this same vein, a friend over on RPF is offering up the 1989 logo from Batman on a shirt since WB put the kibosh on using this altered Bat Logo on the majority of the merchandising.

(I remember it made it on some but others are saying none....if someone can prove us either right or wrong it'd be greatly appreciated) Anyway, here is the designs:

Picture1-4.jpg

If you're interested head over to RPF and sign up and if you don't have an account let me know and I'll talk to Kurt for you and get you hooked up.

Bat fans unite.

I disagree here, none of the Batman movies for me have really captured Batman as I saw him as a kid or as a teenager. Nolan's comes the closest but even has its faults. The Dark Knight though seems to be closer to the mark IMHO then BB was and I am really looking forward to its release.

There have been do many takes on the Dark knight done by so many artists and writers, that in reality everyone will find "thier favorite batman they remember as kids" or whatever.

To me, I just take each movies view of the batman as I would view another artist or writer's take on the Batman. And as everything enjoy some takes and dislike others, but so far the movies I enjoy!:elefant

Uh, did you see the same thing I did?

It's exact - the content of every cut, down to which character appears and the length of every cut - just the same. Obviously done on purpose. And I think I recognized that whne I first saw TDK trailer - it resonated with me. And why not? The 89 Batman trailer is one of the best ever done. I remember sneaking into theaters to watch that trailer over and over again.

When you see Basinger it's Gyllenhal in the same frame size. When you see Michael gough, it's Caine on the screen. There's no way to deny that it's on purpose.

Here is one we agree on Dave. Nothing "random" about how they did it.

Back