1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then, top the whole thing off with a slightly more metallic dark gray, low-gloss, paint job.

I love that you've done this and shown us how easy the overall piece would be to modify if we were so inclined.

I'm definitely gonna pull mine apart to cut an opening in the footwell at the very least now.

As far as repainting goes, I'm seriously leaning towards going all 'Returns' on this bad boy with a silver basecoat, second layer with Tamiya 'Smoke' and topping it off with a high-gloss black.

Saw this technique used on a Batmobile kit in a Japanese hobby magazine back in '89, before they went glossy on the actual Batmobile for 'Returns', and the effect was stunning. The black had an almost mirror-like quality to it.

I love that you've done this and shown us how easy the overall piece would be to modify if we were so inclined.

I'm definitely gonna pull mine apart to cut an opening in the footwell at the very least now.

As far as repainting goes, I'm seriously leaning towards going all 'Returns' on this bad boy with a silver basecoat, second layer with Tamiya 'Smoke' and topping it off with a high-gloss black.

Saw this technique used on a Batmobile kit in a Japanese hobby magazine back in '89, before they went glossy on the actual Batmobile for 'Returns', and the effect was stunning. The black had an almost mirror-like quality to it.

Thanks man, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the paint. I'm going to save that for last after I test out the look on some other scrap plastic.

I just finished the first mod of cutting the front wall of the cockpit area and DX09 Batman fits in there a lot more easily now.

First, I marked off in pencil then line where I planned to cut.

6cyn.jpg

Then I cut it with the Dremel and smoothed it down as much as I could with the different sandpaper/stone heads for the tool. Then I test fitted Batman in there with boots on. His left boot was still getting obstructed by a raised screw eye (which was no longer necessary since it connected the base of the cockpit to an area I just cut off) so I cut that off too. Note the screw hole by the left boot.

na7d.jpg

With a large chunk of the front wall (and some of the top) cut off, Batman is finally free to stretch his legs. Now you can see his ears completely clear where the canopy would close, and the top of his head easily lines up with the top of the headrest. The best part? His legs are completely straight, and there's no more trying to work around the tight steering wheel area to bend him at the knees to force him to fit.

Notice how slight the overall bending of the entire figure's body is, he's in more of a reclining position than sitting straight up at 90 degrees, and it still looks natural. Now there is minimal bending, bunching or stretching of the rubber suit, compared to what was necessary before to get him to fit even with the boots and cape off.

Here's a shot of him in the seat with the cockpit re-set into the chassis frame.

d2a6.jpg

And here's another angle. Notice I have him seated even deeper than before. There's still plenty of room before the front wheel wells.

4s4n.jpg

Now that's all well and good while you have the car dissambled and you have access to his legs to pull them straight through. But what about once it is all put back together? To quote BTAS Robin:

"No problemo, Batman." The figure slides in and out of the driver's seat very easily now...even wearing his boots and the thick stock cape.

5agy.jpg

Here's an overhead shot with flash on to show the straight knees and legs clearing the steering wheel.

vicu.jpg

Just how low can you get Batman to sit in the car once this mod is done?

9h4b.jpg

Pretty damn low.

vggu.jpg

Look, finally accurate Keaton proportions! :yess:

Some notes to anyone attempting this mod:

1. Be very careful with the Dremel. Mark off where you want to cut and try to stick to the plan. I cut a little more off than I marked but I did that on purpose (and very carefully) to give it the max leg room that I think it needs. There's no take-backs/ do-overs with the Dremel.

2. Continuing on that point, you'll notice that I didn't add any more leg room for the passenger. That's because the dash LED board is in the way and I didn't have plan to cut and mount it somewhere else. Be extra, extra careful while you've got that fast spinning blade that cuts through plastic like a hot knife through butter when you cut off the side closest to the LED board.

3. On the topic of the LEDs, once you've unscrewed the main body shell from the chassis, don't just yank it off. All of the LED wires for the headlights, taillights, afterburner and dash are still connected, so you've got to carefully undo the connections before separating the parts. The HT instructions show you which panels to unscrew to access the headlights and taillights. You don't have to unscrew the headlight access panels to separate the chassis from the body shell, but you MUST remove the taillight panels.

4. Lastly, I recommend you remove the canopy, gun covers and the shin breaker panels before you start since that makes for fewer parts that can fall off while you have it on its side and turned over (on something soft and thick to prevent scratching, like a duvet). Take the trunk off too so you can easily access the on/off switch to test all the LED connections before you screw it back together. Keep your screws organized in a safe place!

Do this mod at your own risk. :lecture

Last edited:
Thanks man, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the paint. I'm going to save that for last after I test out the look on some other scrap plastic.

In my case, my 'scrap plastic' will be another Batmobile.

Dug out my Aoshima 1:32 motorized Batmobile kit. 24 years later, I finally have motivation to put the damn thing together. :lol

Use the Tamiya Smoke spray for better "Chrome Black" metallic look, like if you apply this on the chrome finishes on the batmobile, it will make it chrome black finish to it, smoke is like a transparent paint. Either way, good mod on the leg room for the bamobile, makes me wonder why didn't HT just think of this with all the room in that bad boy.

In my case, my 'scrap plastic' will be another Batmobile.

Dug out my Aoshima 1:32 motorized Batmobile kit. 24 years later, I finally have motivation to put the damn thing together. :lol

Cool, you've got some experience with building model kits then I guess? Before any repaint, I think this HT Batmobile is going to need some filler on some of the production seams that don't exist on the real car, like around the fins.

Use the Tamiya Smoke spray for better "Chrome Black" metallic look, like if you apply this on the chrome finishes on the batmobile, it will make it chrome black finish to it, smoke is like a transparent paint. Either way, good mod on the leg room for the bamobile, makes me wonder why didn't HT just think of this with all the room in that bad boy.

Thanks! And thanks for the suggestion. Tamiya makes quality model paints, I used a few of their rattle cans for my Tumbler prototype mod. I'll have to check out this smoke spray on chrome black combo, it sounds really interesting and it might have the right look.

Not much of a discount considering it was $566.99 maybe new, maybe damaged.

Fixed. The people that are ordering the damaged discount ones at least know for sure what they are getting. And it is that much of a discount, considering the original BBTS pre-order price that you're comparing it to was already a pretty decent markdown from what it retailed for at Sideshow and other vendors.. $630. Add to that the fact that BBTS had a lower shipping cost than others for preorders because they ate some of the shipping fees, and I think they've already gone above and beyond for their customers. How much more of a discount should they give for a problem that wasn't their fault?

Its official guys!! After a long wait, my custom Batmobile display base is complete! Please check over on my Show Your Shelves thread to see the exclusive early in hand pics :hi5: more pics to follow with the complete set up...

This is going to be epic! im nearly as excited as i will be when i finally get mine

Have you seen it yet Sean? Its cool isnt it! Wait until you see the final set up :panic: Alot of people have already messaged me about how i'm going to have it displayed cos they forgot to read my description of the base a few pages back. The baymobile is gonna be sitting on a motorized rotating turntable which will sit on the centre of the bat logo of the base thus enabling all who see it to admire the beauty of this fantastic collectible from every angle! Stay tuned pal :hi5:

cant wait mate, the base is awesome, as i said in your shelves thread is a fabulous piece in its own right.

Im converting a coffee table for mine (when it finally arrives) as many others have already done but im contemplating doing something a bit different with the base.

cant wait mate, the base is awesome, as i said in your shelves thread is a fabulous piece in its own right.

Im converting a coffee table for mine (when it finally arrives) as many others have already done but im contemplating doing something a bit different with the base.

Thanks Sean, really appreciate that pal :1-1: Cant wait for your display mate, sounds awesome! Will it be one of those Ikea tables that i've seen other people convert into dislays? That'll be nice but intrigued to hear what different things you have in mind :clap

For those who missed out earlier, here is a link to my display thread to see my new custom Batmobile base...:wave

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113613&page=211

I see all the modding has started already. Once I get mine I'll be in this thread for a tiny bit and then I'm gone. I don't want to feel like I have an inferior piece like I ended up feeling with all the Nolan Batman stuff.

Back