1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is a very good point about the shipping on top of one another. Cause if they put these things on pilates in cargo and secured them with the belts stacked then they made a batmobile sandwich! Ah the humanity........ I want dealt from the middle! ;)

One could test that theory if there are any belt/strap marks or gashes on their shipper box towards the top, chances are they got top lot. and it was held down with lots of pressure for sure.

So basically the boxes arrived at sideshow stacked; if you get one from the top of the pile it's mint condition. If you get one from the bottom of the pile, the weight of the box above it has pushed the shield down onto the car's canopy and scratched it where plastic meets plastic.

This might explain some of the scratching, but as in cases like DiFabio's and others, stacking boxes isn't going to make foam disappear. You've got to wonder how many of these cars made it through the production process just fine, and probably would have survived the stacking and shipping too without any problem---but were scratched simply because someone neglected to attach all of the foam pieces inside the shield.

I have all of my foam under the shield and mine STILL has a scratch.

So basically the boxes arrived at sideshow stacked; if you get one from the top of the pile it's mint condition. If you get one from the bottom of the pile, the weight of the box above it has pushed the shield down onto the car's canopy and scratched it where plastic meets plastic.

Well, depends on if they stack a skid full of batmobiles onto another skid... if so the top ones may get damaged as well I'd think unless the skid was sat down on top gently and evenly.
If they stacked the boxes gently and slid one on the other things would probably be ok... but with the size and weight of the box they are probably lifting it up there and dropping one corner, then sliding it in to position. That's what I'd say is causing it. But who knows. Something has to be pressing down on it quickly and hard, cause I don't think the shield touches the canopy when it's on the batmobile... but a heavy enough jarr at that point could push it down enough to rub and do some damage.

I have all of my foam under the shield and mine STILL has a scratch.

Interesting, do you think the shield somehow scratched it through the foam during the packaging, stacking and shipping process? Or do you think it's more likely that it was scratched in production, before it went into the box?

Interesting, do you think the shield somehow scratched it through the foam during the packaging, stacking and shipping process? Or do you think it's more likely that it was scratched in production, before it went into the box?

No I thought it was caused by the friction of the foam padding causing the rubs but I suppose pressure on shield causing contact stress points against it could probably have caused this as well. I do not believe the damage was done AT the factory except for the glue stains on one of the windows.

My foam was all there, but if you look at the foam in the shield, you can see that there is none directly over where the canopy damage is happening. Blunt force to the top of the shield would push it down far enough to make contact with the canopy. Which is what I think is happening. It's secured everywhere else but the middle area.

Well guys I have unpacked mine here in the UK which I just received from BBTS. The art box was ok although some evry large corner dents. Normally this would annoy me but with something this size I was kind of expecting it.

The car is stunning in the flesh and all the lights works and look great. HOWEVER, I have two large scratch marks just behind the canopy on either side! The canopy itself is perfect. I wish the canopy had the scratches as it may have been possible to replace but they are on the main body. They are proper rub marks and will not come out. Looking at the underside of the shield I can see exactly where it has rubbed! Plastic against plastic. I have some of my own foam (Shown in last pic) which I have now placed inside the shield as haven't got room to display it at the moment.

I am not happy as the model is stunning and deserves to be perfect especially considering the cost. I am emailing BBTS but being in the UK this is going to be a major problem. Should I email Hot Toys direct as well? Does anyone have their email address?

Nice investigative work, Michaelw77! I sent a copy of the link and pointed out your evidence of the cause to the guy at SSC who is looking into the problem and is spear heading the cause and providing the refunds and/ or replacement offers.

Thanks! Hope you get your issue resolved by BBTS, they should, they are top notch and will take care of you; speaking from experience.

Best of luck, :pray:

Max Power

No I thought it was caused by the friction of the foam padding causing the rubs but I suppose pressure on shield causing contact stress points against it could probably have caused this as well. I do not believe the damage was done AT the factory except for the glue stains on one of the windows.

I honestly can't see how soft foam can cause a hard and sharp scratch like some of what I've seen. Foam may be capable some of the "rub shine" that we saw with the first Tumbler's packaging (but even that was caused by contact against HARD styrofoam packaging. The deep scratches in the paint are indicative of contact with something much harder than the soft foam inserts.

My foam was all there, but if you look at the foam in the shield, you can see that there is none directly over where the canopy damage is happening. Blunt force to the top of the shield would push it down far enough to make contact with the canopy. Which is what I think is happening. It's secured everywhere else but the middle area.

This seems more likely than "the foam did it" theory. If anything, "not enough foam coverage did it". Like others have said, the uniformity of many of the scratches, being mostly in the same place, and of the same type and severity whether or not the car had enough foam coverage in the shields, leads me to believe that the damage happened in the same way to all of these cars before the shield was even put on for the first time...before the car was ever put in the box.

Nice investigative work, Michaelw77! I sent a copy of the link and pointed out your evidence of the cause to the guy at SSC who is looking into the problem and is spear heading the cause and providing the refunds and/ or replacement offers.

Thanks! Hope you get your issue resolved by BBTS, they should, they are top notch and will take care of you; speaking from experience.

Best of luck, :pray:

Max Power

Cool. Pleased to be of some help. Being in the UK it is going to be a nightmare to return but I want this piece to be perfect as it looks stunning. The last time I had a problem with a box from BBTS they just offered a partial refund and said if I wanted to return it I would have to pay the postage! I hope this time they are more helpful. Guess we are going to have to wait until Hot Toys sort out the problem

Good point! and if you are using the same technique used by the HT instruction video of unboxing you are applying even more pressure on the car against the shield. If you remember, or have seen it, HT recommends opening it upside down with the shield still on it! If the shield is the culprit this may scratch it or add additional scratches already done from shipping. It's my theory :lecture

I honestly can't see how soft foam can cause a hard and sharp scratch like some of what I've seen. Foam may be capable some of the "rub shine" that we saw with the first Tumbler's packaging (but even that was caused by contact against HARD styrofoam packaging. The deep scratches in the paint are indicative of contact with something much harder than the soft foam inserts.

This seems more likely than "the foam did it" theory. If anything, "not enough foam coverage did it". Like others have said, the uniformity of many of the scratches, being mostly in the same place, and of the same type and severity whether or not the car had enough foam coverage in the shields, leads me to believe that the damage happened in the same way to all of these cars before the shield was even put on for the first time...before the car was ever put in the box.

That's exactly what my mark looks like, "rub shine" not really a scratch, just a rub on the surface layer of the paint.

Even when the shield is properly and completely assembled, there is only foam behind and in front of the car's canopy; where people are getting scratches - toward the back of and just behind the canopy - there is no foam. So with enough weight on the top of the box, the shield could crush down enough for the plastic of the shield to press over the plastic of the car - thus causing the scratches.

Great news! :yess: Really glad to hear it. Hopefully whenever mine ships its pristine as well. Did yours come directly from SS? Isn't that how BBTS is fulfilling?

I think it went through BBTS first. The box had a few inserts from BBTS and my invoice. The shipping origination point was Minnesota too.

I emailed to cancel but kinda forgot about the NRD I paid to my UK dealer.

I'm gonna have to ride it out now and pray for a decent one. ****ting my pants :lol

If it was the cacoon causing the scratches, then the fins would have scratches too since they protrude the most, but non have scratches there.
Still havent heard from BBTS, and they amount of $$$ I spend with them, they better respond to my email within a couple days or I'm filing a complaint with my bank.

Back