Baroness to be revealed mid 2012 + new bulkier body

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teemu

Super Freak
Reaction score
DMM- The DC Universe has a varying range of characters from adult male and female, to teens, and scrawny adults. Are you prepared to move past the iconic male figure?

BB- Hopefully so, yeah. We’ve got a new female body in the early production phases. We’re working through test shots and things. We’ll be debuting it this year in the G.I. Joe line, as Baroness. That’ll be in the mid part of 2012, and then superhero, super villain gals will follow after that. Our new beefier male body is quite different from our Prometheus and trooper male bodies.

DMM- Have we seen parts of this new body in Rock ‘N Roll or even Duke?

BB No. While the proportions may be similar, this new body will be unique.

DMM -The kids in the forums have been talking about Sideshow using something developed by Hot Toys, like their T-800 buck. Is that the case, or is Sideshow using an in-house design?

BB- It’s entirely us and our friends at Bigshot Toyworks, and the master tinker known as Klim (Kozinevich). We’ve been collaborating for a while now and we feel that his passion for all things toys and his sense of articulation matched with our desire to create awesome superheroes. I think it’s going to be a good blend. People are going to get the best of what the comic book styling has to offer, in the same way the G.I. Joe style works.

DMM In terms of your G.I. Joe line, I’ve always felt that your more daring interpretations have been the coolest pieces in the collection.

BB I think it represents where our design team is in terms of ambition. We’re really trying to carve out an opportunity for them to be thoughtful. A lot of consideration goes into each product so when you’re taking it out and setting it up, there is a lot to find. It allows you to trace back to the source material everything from the gun to the garment. We then think, if this is what he uses, he’d have this sort of load out. What would the modern equivalent of that be, and what would be one step past.

DMM Your G.I. Joe line also seems to have rippled back into the classic Hasbro collection. In the last year we’ve seen a Snake Eyes, Cobra Trooper, and now a Storm Shadow figure strongly influenced by the Sideshow design.

BB I’d love to check back with them on that, because a lot of the back and forth we have with Hasbro influences our designs. It’s kind of full circle, I think. The last Cobra Viper they’d done has really inspired our guys. That process was happening somewhat simultaneously.

DMM But then out of left field you guys come up with the leather pilot’s helmet head…

BB We just wanted to add a little something to the mythos, however little, to put just a little extra flavour and character into it.

DMM Just like you did with the Crimson Guard. That looks like a Fred head to me.

BB It sure looks like a Fred head.

DMM I was actually surprised we didn’t see a scar faced Cobra Trooper. Matter of fact, I think that’s a character even Hasbro seems to have looked past. I think they’ve only made a figure of him once.

BB Yeah, I think you’re right, but we’ve put the Cobra Trooper platform on pause. We didn’t want to release another one without adding something substantial to it, and we want it to feel genuine.

DMM That makes sense, but I have to admit that I found the two Desert Troopers to be the finest in the bunch. I know they came with the same gear and all, but the aesthetic was pretty cool.

link-https://www.cooltoyreview.com/Conversation-SSC.asp

thanks for that, its funny I completely forgot about cooltoyreview.

very good interview all around, wish Dave could have gotten his full time to speak to him.

Its funny how some people have certain fixations and interests...blue vs brown coat Hoth Han...I can care less really. ROTS Darth Vader, Dave seems interested but 99% of fans think the scene from the film is absolute garbage.

So just interesting there.

I'm assuming BB is Brant Bridges, but who's / what's DMM?

EDIT: NVM, found out that's it's from Cool Toy Review.

Additional Joe related passages:

"BB It takes as much if not more talent to design with a platform like that as it does to scratch build every piece. But back to where you were going, Scar Face is definitely on the agenda for somewhere down the road.

DMM I hope its not before Kwinn and Doctor Venom. I know that’s crazy, and that I’m probably the only guy that wants that, but release those two guys, a classic goggled Snake Eyes, and a sinking bunker environment and I’ll lose it."

Ummm, me too!.

"BB ...Hoth is also the place we need to go next.

DMM Yes. Hoth is a place you could spend some serious time on and not have to worry about people getting tired of it thematically.

BB It has to be done with a sense of context though. It’s always tricky when you’re talking about Star Wars or G.I. Joe. I mean, I love guys like Snow Job, but he looks so damn weird on the shelf next to other Joes. Why is everyone else geared up for regular day while this guy’s in his parka? So we need to create a bit of context around the Hoth stuff we’re going to do. Maybe we’ve already teased some of that…"

Another Variant Cobra Trooper with a Scar...Pffft!

Easy Pass! Tired of Variants now...lets move on to more unique characters before we all die of old age

I'm reading between the lines, but I wonder if we'll see an arctic diorama/environment possibly for SNOW JOB and maybe SNOW SERPENT(S)?

Another passage from the interview:

"BB...we’ve put the Cobra Trooper platform on pause. We didn’t want to release another one without adding something substantial to it, and we want it to feel genuine."

Another Variant Cobra Trooper with a Scar...Pffft!

Easy Pass! Tired of Variants now...lets move on to more unique characters before we all die of old age

:lol

Seriously but I want a trooper in blues though. I missed the trooper and officer; wouldn't mind a scarred trooper as long as he's dressed in the blue uniform.

Another passage from the interview:

"BB...we’ve put the Cobra Trooper platform on pause. We didn’t want to release another one without adding something substantial to it, and we want it to feel genuine."

The something substantial being the money SSC makes from people buying them to flesh out scenes with SnowJob and Snow Serpents (which I totally hope we see soon).

Just Sayin.:monkey3

I'm reading between the lines, but I wonder if we'll see an arctic diorama/environment possibly for SNOW JOB and maybe SNOW SERPENT(S)?

I hope So

Snowjob was mentioned..maybe a Hint?

My suspicion is Snow Job or Shipwreck as the neck Joe reveal:peace

I asked about Snow Job way back when, and Sideshow answered my question:

Wednesday, March 17th, 2010

"Q: In the Sideshow Collectibles Catalog Volume 11 that I received with the Sideshow Spooktacular 2009 kit, there’s a nice little write-up on Larry Hama on page 251 regarding G.I. Joe. The page features the covers of a few of the MARVEL Joe Real American Hero series as well as three of the original file cards. Maybe I’m reading into this too much, but the three file cards are Cobra Commander (made into a figure), Storm Shadow (made into a figure), and Snow Job. Is this a potential clue to an upcoming Joe figure? Again, I’m probably reading into it too much, but you guys have been known to leave little clues and teasers. I just found it intriguing that Snow Job would have been one of the file cards featured rather than Snake Eyes or Duke…

A: Good eyes! We are working on designs for our Snow Job figure, but he’s not going to be revealed anytime in the immediate future."

However, this was almost two years ago now. Other characters they've mentioned in Ask Sideshow are Shockwave, Battle Helmet Cobra Commander, Commando Snake Eyes, and Destro.

Their excuse of a "character with a parka not looking good on the shelf next to other characters" is pretty lame IMO. So basically, they wanna wait to release Snow Job till they develop a whole string of snow themed characters so they compliment each other on the shelf??? This is coming from the same company that refuses to make the entire fellowship in any of their LOTR lines.

BB It has to be done with a sense of context though. It’s always tricky when you’re talking about Star Wars or G.I. Joe. I mean, I love guys like Snow Job, but he looks so damn weird on the shelf next to other Joes. Why is everyone else geared up for regular day while this guy’s in his parka? So we need to create a bit of context around the Hoth stuff we’re going to do. Maybe we’ve already teased some of that…"

Their excuse of a "character with a parka not looking good on the shelf next to other characters" is pretty lame IMO. So basically, they wanna wait to release Snow Job till they develop a whole string of snow themed characters so they compliment each other on the shelf??? This is coming from the same company that refuses to make the entire fellowship in any of their LOTR lines.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly:

This tells me these guys have little concept of who the Joes are and what they do. The Dustys, Snow Jobs and Wet Suits are the gems on the shelf full of standard military gold. Brant, look up "MOS" and learn something! :mad: :(

How about the JUMP pack! Now that we've seen the S.T.A.P. small vehicles for the Joe Line are a possibility. You can throw the Trouble Bubble in there as well.

Scar Face would be a nice revisit to the troopers for those that missed him. I'm still waiting for the Stinger Driver. I'm really surprised on that one not being released.

Having a beefier body is nice. Perhaps we'll see a Roadblock eventually.

Back