Balrog Legendary scale bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm shocked at the response this is getting. Its a huge piece and $400 is not unreasonable espcially with the current exchange rate.:D Ordered

a good point bullseye. it is almost two feet tall. but $400 is quite a bite.

Every action has a reaction...

And in this case it has many...

Mine however effects the GG version of the Balrog; I used the things SS did well on this bust on my repaint just 15 minutes ago on the GG Balrog:

Before:

After:

I repainted the mouth, horns and his ''cute little white belly''... I also sculpted and painted a little part between his arms and chest, to make it a little more realistic...

Now Sideshow, bring up the good Light-up shots!

Last edited:
Re: Every action has a reaction...

And in this case it has many...

Mine however effects the GG version of the Balrog; I used the things SS did well on this bust on my repaint just 15 minutes ago on the GG Balrog:

Before:

After:

I repainted the mouth, horns and his ''cute little white belly''... I also sculpted and painted a little part between his arms and chest, to make it a little more realistic...

That is outstanding!!!!!! Love what you did.

For me, there's something just not right with it having just the head and no other part of the body. It just looks a little strange to me.

The same Moria base as the Cave Troll is double-dipping. Even though they are both from Moria, having a unique base would have kept things a little fresher.

Finally, the 400 clam price tag makes my decision even easier.

With a limit of "2" per person, I'm expecting an ES of 500 and it will languish in the Sideshow warehouse for decades...*

*but just in case I'm wrong and it gets an ES of 50, I pre-ordered it... :monkey3

Just too exspensive for me right now. I may order it just incase but this may be one I get from a dealer to save some money. I just don't have the real urge to get it not that I see anything wrong with it but the price is a bit much for me right now as I said.

For me, there's something just not right with it having just the head and no other part of the body. It just looks a little strange to me.

The same Moria base as the Cave Troll is double-dipping. Even though they are both from Moria, having a unique base would have kept things a little fresher.
Finally, the 400 clam price tag makes my decision even easier.

With a limit of "2" per person, I'm expecting an ES of 500 and it will languish in the Sideshow warehouse for decades...*

*but just in case I'm wrong and it gets an ES of 50, I pre-ordered it... :monkey3

DITTO!........

Ouch. A heftier price tag than I had anticipated, but I'll be getting mine from a dealer, so might be a bit less...plus, it's a minimum of 4 months out, plenty of time to save up the money. Either way, I'll be getting one.

Interesting how they didn't mention the light-up feature except in one sentence. And no pics to support that claim either. Still, I can't believe this carries $250 in price difference to the GTG LS for only 2 redeeming factors:
1) light-up
2) bad-ass (hey, it's the Balrog)

Still, I don't dig the floating head concept. And the uneasy feeling they rehashed the base doesn't help the cause either.

Anarion, awesome repaint of your GG bust.

On another note, the blurb on the actual product page doesn't mention the light-up feature:

"Sideshow Collectibles proudly presents this fantastic new addition to The Lord of the Rings Legendary Scale Bust series. The Balrog has been expertly sculpted to capture every detail of the creature's menacing visage and flaming hide. Hand-cast of the highest quality polystone, each bust is hand-painted and individually numbered. The Balrog Legendary Scale bust is the perfect addition to your The Lord of the Rings collection.

In the deepest darkness and coldest gloom, far beneath the Misty Mountains lingered an evil that should long have passed from the memory of even the Elves... read more

In the deepest darkness and coldest gloom, far beneath the Misty Mountains lingered an evil that should long have passed from the memory of even the Elves. Yet it lived on, through countless ages, consumed in the shadows by rage and its own fires until it was unleashed upon the Fellowship of the Ring at the bridge of Khazad-dum -- The Balrog, a demon of the ancient world. Against this foe no skill with blade or bow would prevail. "

Interesting how they didn't mention the light-up feature except in one sentence. And no pics to support that claim either. Still, I can't believe this carries $250 in price difference to the GTG LS for only 2 redeeming factors:
1) light-up
2) bad-ass (hey, it's the Balrog)
3) it's a lot bigger

3) it's a lot bigger

Well . . .I'm not sure if people find having a bigger version as a redeeming feature. But, I do agree that more polystone could mean the heftier price tag. I'd be curious to see a side-by-side with all the LS busts to date though to really see the difference.

Back