Average household income of collectors?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your HOUSEHOLD income (please note with kids option)

• less than $50,000, no kids

Votes: 67 28.0%
  • less than $50,000, have kids

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • $50,000-$75,000, no kids

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • $50,000-$75,000, have kids

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • $75,000-$100,000, no kids

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • $75,000-$100,000, have kids

Votes: 24 10.0%
  • $100,000-$125,000, no kids

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • $100,000-$125,000, have kids

Votes: 18 7.5%
  • $125,000 - $200,000

Votes: 27 11.3%
  • over $200,000

Votes: 21 8.8%

• Total voters
If anyone is lying they are lying saying they make more. Most people are pay check to pay check and have to budget hobbies closely. I have to budget them myself.

IMO as long as your paying and not blowing up credit cards buying this stuff your good.

Last edited:
I would not be collecting if i was paycheck to paycheck. I consider myself very fortunate...I may good money, my wife makes good money, and my family is very generous. I have 2 kids that I provide for amply and we save a lot of money for the future. With that all coming first, I still can afford this hobby. I am very grateful for my situation and hope that I can continue it for a long time. But who knows, maybe hard times will hit and I will have to sell off my collection. If so, I will do so and live through you guys!

What if you make over $125,000-200,000 AND have kids?
Why no option for that?

Is it like "well **** you if you make that much money you don't have to worry about kids??!"

:lol

Up until my wife got a full-time teaching job last August, I would have had to click the less than $50,000. I voted for $50,000-$75,000 without kids but now we do have a child on the way. I have been cutting back from toys a lot since getting involved with my wife and getting serious with our money. My fear now is I'm going to have to cut it out completely. Keep in mind in addition to toys, I like to buy books, music, movies, video games, going out, etc. Just gotta prioritize this stuff I suppose. My family comes first but as much as I love toys, these other things seem more useful than something to put behind glass just to look at once in a while.

Anyone have any free budgeting programs out there? A friend suggest Mint.com and I probably COULD contact my life insurance agent for financial counseling. But I don't wanna commit to any one thing before seeing all my options. Thanks!

ITT we either got money or just no priorities in life.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Reality is, 90% of the populations average income is 30k a year or less. If your are making less than 30k a year even without kids, you should not be in this hobby. With the asking prices of some statues and considering how addicting it can be, it's a dangerous financial game to play. Yet I read posts from people saying they are cashing out their retirement money to purchase $1000+ pieces...........what?!

Chris

I make over 75k but well under 100k. But I live in CA, where housing and gas prices are skyrocketing. If I lived in Ohio, I'd probably be very well off. I still can't buy anything and a $20 figure is like a punch in the mouth to me. This is all without debt too.

I make over 75k but well under 100k. But I live in CA, where housing and gas prices are skyrocketing. If I lived in Ohio, I'd probably be very well off. I still can't buy anything and a $20 figure is like a punch in the mouth to me. This is all without debt too.

For a single man thats decent money. 1 bhk rents 1000 to 1500 ...so leaves plenty of money. U are seriously mismanaging funds!
For instance... 75k before tax or 50k after tax. Which is over 4k a month in hand
About 1000 -1500 1 bedroom rent,
125 cable, phone and internet,
75 cell phone, 75 utilities,
125 auto insurance,
150 a week grocery,
if 2 people 200 a week,
100 dollars gas,
200 dollars incidentals,
that comes to : 2300- 2850 usd (aprx) ...
Now let's say you wanna have fun each weekend, 100 bucks a week so 2700 to 3050. (Thats for debt free, loan free, installment free) ,

if you wanna add a decent car to it. 3100 to 3400 and still 1000 / 600 to spare.

Now all of above means nothing if you wanna buy a house in california or contribute to savings then i think its a stretch and for all of us, cause then you or rather anyone is poor at even 150k a month if you live in Orange County, Bay Area etc... Its like crazy as average house prices are 400k for old *** run down houses compared to other cities! ....and good decent houses are 750k -900k unless you wanna drive 3 hrs (to and fro) to work everyday

Time to call...
Gail-Vaz-Oxlade-with-Jars-293x300.jpg

Chris

Well, my income was very comfortable in the 6 figure zone and now after a disabling spinal cord injury I'm in constant pain and bring in less than a fourth of what I was enjoying. Was working on an IT Masters degree when injured so now I'm getting certs and going to try to work part time in Networking Security to fatten the bank account and get a new Mustang GT :pray:.

Close to 35 pct people make more than 100000 ... Whoops.... No wonder hot toys keep raising the prices... Thats double the general average income range....

This poll is pointless without factoring in location, just like the useless IRS magi calculation. If you make 100k and live near nyc you barely stay afloat with 2k a month property tax/fees and 500k 1br apts. But if you make the same 100k and live in the middle of nowhere like ohio or kansas you can live like a king and still have much higher discretionary spending left.

That's why use a static agi without factoring in location to calculate tax bracket among other items is outdated and unfair. Over the last 50 years the cost of living gap between cities have grew apart significantly.

This poll is pointless without factoring in location, just like the useless IRS magi calculation. If you make 100k and live near nyc you barely stay afloat with 2k a month property tax/fees and 500k 1br apts. But if you make the same 100k and live in the middle of nowhere like ohio or kansas you can live like a king and still have much higher discretionary spending left.

That's why use a static agi without factoring in location to calculate tax bracket among other items is outdated and unfair. Over the last 50 years the cost of living gap between cities have grew apart significantly.

exactly. gagaliya just dropped the mike as they say. poll over. :) jk

Back