Diecast Theory (A Humble Opinion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDGuy84

Super Freak
Reaction score
Before I begin my hypothesis let me start of with a disclaimer: This is merely my opinion and one that I took time as well as effort to formulate. I am taking into consideration both sides of the coin here, not merely the "Pro Diecast" side (of which I am apart of).

Just for a bit of context I only own one Iron Man figure, and that is Iron Man 2 Mark II Armor Unleashed. I enjoy the figure quite a bit. I've held and examine other Iron Man releases and enjoy quite a few of them (didn't much care for the Midas). I receive the first diecast release this week, the Iron Man 3 War Machine Mark II (which I am considering doing my own review of which will be slightly different in style than I have seen on here).

I do not believe a low post count or my join date makes my opinion any less valid than say someone who joined three years ago with other 4,000 posts. I do not have the time nor inclination to post as much as some do (not that there is anything wrong with it). I browsed this board for near a year prior to signing up and garnered quite a bit of knowledge in that time frame; however, in saying that, there are some on here that think because I am relatively "new" (in regards to my shown join date and post count) then I am inexperienced and I should be weary of how I post. Illogical if you ask me- but nevertheless I think my theory on the diecast praise and resistance is valid and worth a look-see.

Hot Toys did their first "upgrade" with the Mark I armor, aptly named "Mark I 2.0" and it featured some updates (most noticeably a superior Robert Downey, Jr sculpt). It wouldn't be outside the realm of possbility to expect Hot Toys to capitalize on potential profits on the collector market and re-release different armors with 2.0's (such as they have with Ledger Joker). It is my understanding that the original Mark I armor release fetched a pretty penny in the aftermarket with collectors prior to the 2.0 release (which that now is going for $300 plus), and then comes the 2.0 and the original release is unloaded at cost or barely above to gain funds for the 2.0 or whatever reason that owner may have.

Enter diecast.

My hypothesis for the anti-diecast is this (and this is one theory for one reason, I'm certain there are many other reasons): What if Hot Toys does 2.0s on armors such as Mark I, Secret Project, Mark II Unleashed, Mark V, Mark VII but with diecast parts? These items are rather difficult to come by (I have browsed the BST board here and haven't seen Mark V hardly at all). These "gems" would no longer be as sought after as they are now if there were to be 2.0 releases with updated materials and/or new accessories, new boxes, etc.

This, in turn, would make the people late to the game able to fill the holes in their respective collections without having to get second hand products for a hefty mark up. We can buy brand new products with updated engineerng, materials, etc and be able to have complete collections (which seems to be a thorn in the side of some collectors/members of this hobby). When that happens the guy with every release of Iron Man armors is faced with a couple dilemmas, those being:

1. He/She no longer has the "ultra super rare cool complete collection that is hard to come by" and everyone now can have it... but with updated materials/accessories/boxes/etc. Not cool man! I put the time and effort into buying them when they came out or paying the inflated aftermarket price! So should everyone else!

2. Shucks... now I have to be a get rid of my older plastic "inferior" releases in favor of the new heavier updated diecast releases that I like better. My collection is now antiquated! However I will now lose money I initially invested and also spend a considerable amount of money replacing my first collection.

So I can see the resistance in that respect.

However this is an exciting idea for new collectors. We were unable to obtain a lot of these and now we potentially have the opportunity to have complete collections.

Doubt they will remake any older versions into diecast. With Howard making it an intention to create all 42 suits ALONG with Avengers 2/3 line, making a re-release of diecast Marks I-VII will probably be in 7 years or so. By that time, Hot Toys will reconsider if Iron Man franchise is still going strong to even invest into making these release.
Besides, didn't Howard mention that the diecast line was inefficient in production? I'm not sure if they will make the REST of their figures diecast after Mark42 & IP.

This really didn't need its own post though, since it's already been mentioned countless times in other threads regarding diecast/plastics.

They've announced already 14 1/6 figures(PPS and MMS)+ 1/4 busts + 1/6 busts + Hall of Armor from Iron Man 3 Movie. +4 or +5 Armors
( doing a poll would be a good a idea)and Pepper and then close the IM3 file.

It's foolish to convince oneself that HTs won't be revisiting the IM Armors. Will they be plastic, diecast or plastic with limited diecast parts is anyone's guess but I'd think it's ALMOST a sure thing that we will see a few of those older armors make an encore appearance at some point. I'd bet money on the Mark III. Maybe a few others that have proved very popular with fans...the Mark IV comes to mind. Of course from there there's a easy jump to the Mark II & Mark VI. So maybe those as well to recoup production cost. I have reservations about the Mark V due to its high production cost and it's slow sales of the original.

That being said, you can't bet agains HTs when it comes to rereleasing very popular characters...particularly the ones that have strong popularity in their main market (Asia) and the US.

I'd keep my originals of the Mark III and WM AND buy new diecast releases if it ever happened. I'd probably pass on the rest.

This post is basically saying poo on anyone that was into collecting hot toys iron man before you and any other new collector from what I am reading. I'm a completest, have every armor and I really don't mind or care if hot toys reissues mark I-VII in die cast. I got in at such low prices for mine that if I choose to get die cast my profits from selling off my existing pieces would put me well on my way to getting new ones.

I also do not think it is fair to lump all completests into 2 options above, as many will keep their existing and buy the others. After all that is what a completest means....right?

To me your tone in this dissertation unfortunately reveals sour grapes that the cost for you to get the iron man collection you want is more than you are willing to stomach. Your statements have some jealously or figure envy undertones which is totally understandable.

The world stops for no man, and its unfortunate you were not able to get the suits due to timing. Such is life.

The one thing for HT first and foremost is it's a business. The people clammorning for new suits need to realize HT has to balance the holy trinity of key success factors in product marketing.

1.Brand
2.Price
3.Value

They are not going to do anything that doesn't positively effect these above, if they are smart.
HT will always sell what is current and hot. With no more Iron man movies in the foreseeable future you could expect the production to start ramping down as interest fades. (As such with comic book movies soon)

There are other franchises such as the Star Wars trilogy coming up, a backlog of Batman/BTTF and things we haven't even thought of coming down the pipe.

Iron man is not good for HT in the long run and is a flash cash grab while it's hot. They cannot survive at these prices branding iron mans and expect folks to continuously buy the same 8 suits over and over again for the next 10 years. If they do, HT will make themselves non relevant and lose popularity (branding) ,customers (value) and profit (price).

Thanks for the Cliff's Notes overview. If true, then I agree with the OP. I also say poo on anyone not included in those two groups.

So you are saying poo to anyone who has every armor and is not upset or *****ing their collection is devalued with remakes? (in the OP's perception.) Well that's kind of heartless and mean. poo flinger:lol

Diddly Poo

09000d5d820233b0_video_cp.jpg

Why do you assume that whoever owns previous releases will automatically wish/want to replace them ? People don't get into this hobby to fulfill inferiority complex issues. If they did then they are not part of this community.

Here is some food for thought... in a closed display / HOA Diorama how does it matter whether it is Plastic or Diecast ?

They've announced already 14 1/6 figures(PPS and MMS)+ 1/4 busts + 1/6 busts + Hall of Armor from Iron Man 3 Movie. +4 or +5 Armors
( doing a poll would be a good a idea)and Pepper and then close the IM3 file.

Last summer Chan made it sound like Pepper's dev wasn't too far behind Ruffalo/banner, really hoping we see something on her soon. :pray:

Oh yeah, and on topic.... diecast.... and stuff. :lol

Again,
It's a matter of a collectors choice.
OWN the figures now or wait YEARS to collect them all.

Personally, I like to stare at them and not wait :)

How about this, HT releases plastic, non-articulated standing pose version of MK 1 to 7 under the diorama line or power pose line to stay inside the hall of armor sets for low cost :lecture

HT has to balance devaluing the brand by releasing v2.0 vs making short term profit. Let's face it, a lit of people collect HT for the sake of rarity. Fortunately I'm not one of them. Once these figures get closer to mass market release like Hasbro and Neca they are going a lose a significant portion of fan base.
From a business perspective I wouldn't piss people off by releasing everything in die cast.

Back