Avengers - The Infinity War a.k.a The Hot Toys Reckoning

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, as excited as I am about the movie I don't see myself buying any of these figures. It's because I only kinda like almost all of the looks for the characters for this movie. Cap, Widow and Iron Man are wearing by far the lamest costumes they have had for any film. The Hulk, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and The Guardians all look very similar to previous versions. I couldn't care less about teenage Groot. I don't need casual wear Thanos. The Black Order looks kinda cool but I don't really know them. Thor looks cool but without the hammer or helmet... meh. And Iron Spider is cool but I still like his "normal" suit a lot more. For me to get a Hot Toys I have to really love the look and the movie. With all of the great versions that have come before it's really hard to justify paying the money for something that is not as cool as what I already have. I think I'm just going to get the Mafex or Figuarts versions of the few designs I kinda like this go around.

My main concern are: a) Most of the heroes are not in iconic looks. b) Do I really want to remember the form these heroes are in when it could be their last appearance? I would say I prefer the iconic, classic looks of AOU & CW much better.

My main concern are: a) Most of the heroes are not in iconic looks. b) Do I really want to remember the form these heroes are in when it could be their last appearance? I would say I prefer the iconic, classic looks of AOU & CW much better.

I believe this isn't the main heroes last appearance as another movie coming up. IMO from a business standpoint you'd be a fool to get rid of your icons before you cash in at the box office.

Even if there were deaths of main characters there's magic and other dimensions and unknown players - like, what if Hela shows up in IW2 and someone bargains with her for the lives of whichever character? The Soul Stone collects souls and in the comics the powerful can communicate with those lives - what if the movies twists things and the Soul Stone is used to revive anyone dead? (at least for a while....until their task is done....:horror). What if Dr. Strange tinkers with time and other dimensions (I hope they bring Pietro back....not sure he's really gone anyway....:monkey3).

For me anyway awesome release - Cap with his sleeves up; beard. :drool

But everyone collects differently. Figs take space and care. IMO it's all good what a great time to be a comic fan. Potentially expensive, but great.:cool:

I'm really hyped for the movie, got my Thursday evening tickets, but the Hot Toys figures announcements haven't made much an impression on me yet. When it's the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc....version of a character announced, the look would have to utterly blow me away - I think Cap looks very awesome, but that's about it so far.

I think the only 4th version of a character I could get truly excited about now has nothing to do with IW - and that's still Thor 1 Loki. Oh, and a Howling Commandos Bucky.

Cap has a standout look in IW, but the look for IW Widow is really kinda awful to me and when you have two previous releases like TWS and CW, it just doesn't even tempt me a little. And many others do look very similar to previous versions - I can't imagine an IW Strange topping the first figure, for example.

I'm a lot more interested in any possibility of getting new characters (that HT hasn't made yet) out of this line than anything else.

Last edited:

Well yeah, they aren't iconic yet. Pretty much everyones look in AOU & CW were departures from the earlier films. I remember people saying the same thing about the mark 45, and now it's a favorite of many. Give it time -- if the film is great, people will love these looks.

Interesting that a lot of people are of the same opinion to me. I have a lot of the CW versions as I consider them the iconic look. At least old school look with a modern take.

In any case it makes it easier on my mind (and wallet) to know I don't want to upgrade for a lot of these characters. It's nice to watch all the releases etc.

I'll still get a couple though, and am really looking forward to the movie !

I'm hoping a lot of the figures on display were just stand ins and they are doing more work to them (Drax, Scarlet Witch, etc.) If not, I'll probably just debate on getting Cap, Iron Man and Bucky.

I'm hoping the same thing. I don't think they're going to make all of the characters that were on display for this movie. Probably some for part one and some for part two. They probably just wanted to inflate the roster on display.

Yeah as far as collecting goes I would definitely prefer to have the more iconic looks, but I'm still really loving all these edgier new designs (especially for Cap and Thor) and look forward to seeing them in the movie. I wouldn't want them just wearing the same thing in every Avengers movie.

They usually go all out for Avengers movies and considering the amount of hype and excitement and recent quality associated with Marvel films, I am pretty sure HT will follow suit.

I'm really hyped for the movie, got my Thursday evening tickets, but the Hot Toys figures announcements haven't made much an impression on me yet. When it's the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc....version of a character announced, the look would have to utterly blow me away - I think Cap looks very awesome, but that's about it so far.

I think the only 4th version of a character I could get truly excited about now has nothing to do with IW - and that's still Thor 1 Loki. Oh, and a Howling Commandos Bucky.

Cap has a standout look in IW, but the look for IW Widow is really kinda awful to me and when you have two previous releases like TWS and CW, it just doesn't even tempt me a little. And many others do look very similar to previous versions - I can't imagine an IW Strange topping the first figure, for example.

I'm a lot more interested in any possibility of getting new characters (that HT hasn't made yet) out of this line than anything else.
Damn, I'm still bummed Hot Toys never released Howlies Bucky nor skinny Steve. I wanna show the beginnings of Captain America, how the hell am I supposed to do that without skinny Steve, huh? XD I really wish they'd make one ...

Yeah as far as collecting goes I would definitely prefer to have the more iconic looks, but I'm still really loving all these edgier new designs (especially for Cap and Thor) and look forward to seeing them in the movie. I wouldn't want them just wearing the same thing in every Avengers movie.

Oh! I can’t wait till the movie comes out. For my collection, I prefer to collect just one definitive with iconic or unique looks - e.g. Cap in his Cap suit with his shield and helmet. Not keen on WW II look, can’t really stand the goofy A1 look, the TWS look was good but not definitive enough. So I went with AOU. Iron Man was VI, then VII, then Silver Centurion and I told myself XLV was the last one because it is so unique, (and IM prices just keep going up and up) then DC VI came along. So now I have one each for Maria Hill, Fury (TWS), Hawkeye (CW), Scarlet Witch (NA), WM III and Thor (AOU) all because of their uniqueness (or how much I hate the previous or subsequent versions)

The only exception to this rule is obviously Black Widow where I have been collecting them all! ScarJo is so engaging! I was initially committed to up to AOU, but then they coughed up the CW version which has the best HS to date! Besides, she is more affordable than most of the other characters.

My Watchlist coming into this movie always was..

1. Add to the Thors and Scarlet Witches, as I have all of them.
2. Add to the Lokis, seeing as he is my favourite character
3. Keep an eye on Iron Man (despite the high cost)

In all likelihood as we get closer.
1. Thor is a must. The only reason I haven't ordered him now is I'm waiting to see when the Gladiator version ships and if I get an International discount code.
2. I know these shows use placeholder figures from older movies, but I'm not sure a change of hair colour alone will be enough to order Scarlet Witch. Even the entirely black Black Widows vary at least a little between movies. And I think the chances of Loki being made are slim. Certainly the Ragnarok figure is more appealing to me with the helmet on. I'm not sure I would buy Ragnarok 2.0 just to pose with the Tesseract in hand.. (although it could be a pretty major plot point in the movie)
3. Iron Man. If Thor is the only figure I buy, then the extra cost of Iron Man will be easier to swallow. A bit will depend on what we see the suit do, and what other (hidden at this stage) suit makes its way into the movie, which one no doubt will..

Since we are getting screenshots of the Battle in New York during the IW movies, I wouldnt be surprised if HT release the die-cast Mark VII by the time A4 comes around.

I’m in for IM, warmachine. All those bad guys except thanos since i’ve the gotg version.
And any character being made for the 1st time i’m in.
I’m trying to justify myself to get iron spider since its a suit just like IM n war machine. LOL

Here's my predicton for new Avengers:

1) Captain dies. Falcon will be the new Captain.

ad_140788708.jpg

2) Stark retires. Shuri becomes the new ironman.

Riri-Williams-Iron-Man.jpg

3) Bucky disappears.

4) Black Widow and Hawkeye retires.

There was a promo picture released early April that showed a Star-Lord figure with the charcoal shirt he wears in IW.

HT also did it just recently for Rocket. Same movie.

I believe Hot Toys won’t re-release every figure shown as some are likely just for promotional purposes.

But I believe they’ll release Star-Lord again (same sculpt and jacket, different shirt and boots) just to have all the Guardians available in one line, with Gamora and Drax probably having been pushed to the IW line.

That would explain why they have pretty much the same Rocket available with Teenage Groot.

while you mention it, the boots of Starlord in the pic, are not the ones from Gotg Vol.1 edition, but new (2 pieces) with ankle movement. However, they seem to reuse a lot of head sculpts with different repaint for severeal new figures lately. (Spiderman Homecoming, Black Widow, Jyn Erso, etc.) Maybe this time as well? On the other hand, they have sooo many figures coming out not only for MARVEL movies, but DC and STAR WARS (Solo?) and so on ... just trying to please everyone and milking the cashcows as long as possible.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-14 um 22.07.00.jpg

Back