Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The armature is typically built to mimic skeleton of the sculpt. Using a thicker armature wire for the skeleton then wrapping floral wire around that to give the clay something to hold on to and prevent it from slipping off the armature. You can put tin foil over that to bulk up the skeleton then wrap thin floral wire around the tin foil to secure it to the armature.

you can see a pic at the following link to give you an idea of what I mean.

https://www.csmoorestudio.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/blog/2008_05_04_archive.html

hope that helps

Thank you, will definitely try that out, but I wonder if there is a guide to show how to sculpt the neck/head to make it fit a Hot Toys body?

Make sure it is material that will bleach and not just melt. Don't leave anything in too long and rinse thoroughly afterward. Rit color remover works well for lightening clothes, but reeks.

More specific information on what you're bleaching might yield more specific tips.

Make sure it is material that will bleach and not just melt. Don't leave anything in too long and rinse thoroughly afterward. Rit color remover works well for lightening clothes, but reeks.

More specific information on what you're bleaching might yield more specific tips.

The vest from HT STARS Chris. Pretty much pure polyester.

Hey guys! I am new to custom painting heads and I really need help with custom painting a Han Solo head.

I cant figure out what type of paint I should use and how to get a decent skin tone.

Can anyone help me out please?

Hi, I did a search on here and spent a while in google but I couldn't find anything definite.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience of removing the scar on an action man eagle eye face?

The head is nearly perfect for my 1st creation but the scar has to go, so I would like to know the best way to remove (fill hole?) and repaint/touch up the original paint job please.

Here's a picture of the head I have purchased:

Head by Indie_Kids, on Flickr

anyone if liquitex matte finish would be a good paint seal for a headsculpt. cant find any place that has testors dullcoat

Hi guy's.

I'm a new member a would like to ask you kind fella's a couple of questions. If this is not the right section I apologies, I had a look in some threads but I'm still unsure.

I want to build a Wolverine figure and have managed to purchase a head. I have a $50 voucher for sideshow still in my account and I came up with the idea that I could buy either the Rock N Roll or General Hawk figure and mod it out to make it into an alternate Wolverine. These both come with a Prometheus 1.2 body.

Would my head fit this body? What do you guy's think of this idea, is it dumb, cool, just Meh? I'm new to all this and I do pay full price for my figures on the SS website but I missed out on Wolverine and I find it hard to justify $400 for a second hand one.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I'm thinking of getting some faux leather to make belt and harnesses, question is what are the tools required to work with faux leather like punching holes or adding rivets to it? Tried googling but can't find anything related to toys. Much appreciated!

Hi, I did a search on here and spent a while in google but I couldn't find anything definite.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience of removing the scar on an action man eagle eye face?

The head is nearly perfect for my 1st creation but the scar has to go, so I would like to know the best way to remove (fill hole?) and repaint/touch up the original paint job please.

Here's a picture of the head I have purchased:

Head by Indie_Kids, on Flickr

What are you making with this?

I reckon you could take the scar off with a craft knife or better with a dremmel type tool fairly easy.
You might need to fill the hole or smooth it down with a bit of super sculpey but that needs curing in the oven or a low heat for about 5 mins.
Or you could use air drying clay if you don't fancy melting your head in the oven:)

Are you gunna repaint the head after anyway?
If so just buy some flesh tone acrylic from hobbycraft or from doug arts on ebay, he's pretty good and gives discount if you buy more paints in one go.
If you want to match the original paint you might want to add some pink to the flesh tone to get the right shade or just repaint the whole face so it all matchs.

What are you making with this?

I reckon you could take the scar off with a craft knife or better with a dremmel type tool fairly easy.
You might need to fill the hole or smooth it down with a bit of super sculpey but that needs curing in the oven or a low heat for about 5 mins.
Or you could use air drying clay if you don't fancy melting your head in the oven:)

Are you gunna repaint the head after anyway?
If so just buy some flesh tone acrylic from hobbycraft or from doug arts on ebay, he's pretty good and gives discount if you buy more paints in one go.
If you want to match the original paint you might want to add some pink to the flesh tone to get the right shade or just repaint the whole face so it all matchs.

The head has a few more scratches and dents so thanks for your excellent advice and thanks very much for your time.

He's going to be used for my first custom "Captain Sensible" because I can't afford to go for a sculpt at the moment.
Need to get him a body now, he's looking a bit lost just sat there :D

Ok, I have a question...has anyone here tried using eye decals? I'm thinking about giving it a go as painting eyes is not my forte. Just wondering if anyone had used them and if they had any pics of the results.

Ok, I have a question...has anyone here tried using eye decals? I'm thinking about giving it a go as painting eyes is not my forte. Just wondering if anyone had used them and if they had any pics of the results.

I have not tried those... but what I have found to work better then "painting" them is to use fine tip prismacolor markers for the iris, and micron pens for the pupil.

Yes. Wasn't impressed. For 1:6 scale they seemed to lack detail. For bigger figures they looked OK.

I have not tried those... but what I have found to work better then "painting" them is to use fine tip prismacolor markers for the iris, and micron pens for the pupil.

I thought about trying using pens too...have any pics of the results?

When repainting a sculpt do most of you strip the paint off or primer over it or just paint over the original paint?

Back