Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be some good sites to get random stuff for some custom dioramas? I have most of the environments that Sideshow has put out, but I want to add some more "flair" to them. I added some real branches, rocks and twigs to my shelf with Dutch, Billy and P1 Predator and it made such a difference that I wanna do some similar stuff for some of my other figs and environments. Stuff that I could use as imitation grass or dirt would be great, maybe a place that also sells really good looking fake logs, rocks, metal walls or other random stuff that could be used in dioramas. Any help that anyone could give would really be appreciated, thanks.

What's the difference between a TTM Narrow Shoulder and TTM Advanced? Idget on eBay sent me a damn narrow shoulder instead of an advanced, so unless they're the exact same minus the headsculpt/thigh implants, I've gotta deal with sending it back or coming to a deal.

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what's the best stuff to sculpt with? Be it hair, beards, or modding a gas mask?

Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

Quick question, I aint ever painted a model and I was just wondering how hard would it be to re paint a Halycon Alien Queen?

I guess I killed the thread with my n00biest of n00bs question :lol

Here's a legit one, could someone PM me anyone who takes commissions for making a HS with a neck compatible with a muscle body?

I guess no one likes helping n00bs. I'll use the search function more often. In this case, I might be the first to ask this question since search function yielded no results.

What is the best method to applying a tattoo i.e. best brush, stencil, paint, etc.? Would like to apply a tattoo on a muscle body arm.

I think this thread is a dead thread. Your best bet is to look around the customs sections for someone who sculpts to your liking and Private Message them. Every custom sculptor here can make them to fit the muscle bodies though.

What's the difference between a TTM Narrow Shoulder and TTM Advanced? Idget on eBay sent me a damn narrow shoulder instead of an advanced, so unless they're the exact same minus the headsculpt/thigh implants, I've gotta deal with sending it back or coming to a deal.

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but what's the best stuff to sculpt with? Be it hair, beards, or modding a gas mask?

The sculpting material will depend on how you are using it. If you are modding a figure or accessory then apoxie sculpt might be what you're looking for since it cures very hard and can be sanded/drilled/tooled then sealed and painted.

If you are sculpting from scratch, then you will want to pick up some clay or wax and some sculpting tools. There are a lot of difference sculpting mediums out there. The easiest to start with would be super sculpey since it is sold in most craft stores.

As for the differences in the two bodies, I don't really know. Someone's else may be able to better answer that.

I think this thread is a dead thread. Your best bet is to look around the customs sections for someone who sculpts to your liking and Private Message them. Every custom sculptor here can make them to fit the muscle bodies though.

I don't think the thread is dead but cluttering it up with chuck norris "facts" will certainly do it.

Try sculpey firm. Easy to shape and smooth. Takes delicate touch though. Also look up wed clay on the net. It wont dry out on you like traditional clays.

Wed clay is a water based clay and will dry out if left in the open air. If your just starting sculpting. I'd recommend an oil based clay like super sculpey or super sculpy firm. Oil based clays do not air dry, you will need to bake it to harded it.

Wed was not the right reco there. Sorry. I was going on memory and should have said chavant nsp which is a harder clay that does not dry out.

Thanks for the answer!

I have another question, how should I place the clay when sculpting? I've seen different ways of doing it, I tried gluing foil to a wooden stick and then attaching the clay on top of that but it wasn't steady..

Thanks for the answer!

I have another question, how should I place the clay when sculpting? I've seen different ways of doing it, I tried gluing foil to a wooden stick and then attaching the clay on top of that but it wasn't steady..

The armature is typically built to mimic skeleton of the sculpt. Using a thicker armature wire for the skeleton then wrapping floral wire around that to give the clay something to hold on to and prevent it from slipping off the armature. You can put tin foil over that to bulk up the skeleton then wrap thin floral wire around the tin foil to secure it to the armature.

you can see a pic at the following link to give you an idea of what I mean.

https://www.csmoorestudio.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/blog/2008_05_04_archive.html

hope that helps

Back