Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since this is for questions....

How much would it be if I wanted someone to make a Jordan Collier (from The 4400) head sculpt for me?

I just want the head, not clothes or a body or anything like that.

Most professional sculptors will likely charge several hundred dollars for a headsculpt. Ada on ebay is pretty cheap, comparatively speaking, but you will have to look at her work to decide if its to your liking and keep an eye on her scale, since it can vary.

Hey guys - I'm goin to make a Dead diorama, and wanted to stage it on a city street. I've decided on using a thin piece of wood as my base, and I'd like to create a street directly on the board. What do you guys think would make a good simulated street? I want it to look and feel as real as possible. I was thinking about possibly putting a thick layer of glue down, and then using a very fine sand on it, but I think this would be way too messy, and would not last. Thanks for any advice!

Forgive me if this has been answered before but I haven't run across a solution in my travels on this board.

What is the safest way to remove acrylic paint from a resin head sculpt?

Thanks in advance.

Roll
Just put the resin head in Pine Sol. Leave it for a while & scrub with a tooth brush. Oh it will also smell pine fresh

Hey guys - I'm goin to make a Dead diorama, and wanted to stage it on a city street. I've decided on using a thin piece of wood as my base, and I'd like to create a street directly on the board. What do you guys think would make a good simulated street? I want it to look and feel as real as possible. I was thinking about possibly putting a thick layer of glue down, and then using a very fine sand on it, but I think this would be way too messy, and would not last. Thanks for any advice!

A thick mixture of plaster would probably be your best bet. Frame out your curb and box in the street and mix the plaster so its very thick and not runny. let it set and you should have a nice looking street.

If anyone is interested in doing a simple repaint of HT Billy's head from Predator, pm me...........

What type of magnifying glasses are you artist using to paint eyes and where can I get one?

As Anzik suggested, you can use reading glasses. But, if you are going to do fine detail work more than casually or every once in a while, I would suggest making the small investment into a hobbyist's magnifying visor. You can do a search for them on Amazon. They carry the more popular ones for a fair price:

Donegan Optivisor
Bausch & Laumb Magna Visor

I would recommend one with a range of 4-8 inches. Some sets give you a variety of different lens with different focal lengths. Don't bother with the lighted models, just work under a lamp.

I have been using the Magna Visor for the past few years and it really has helped me improve my skills with superfine detail work.

i have a question...what is the best way to paint a figures joints so that when they move they dont mess up the paint? brands or paints and types of paints would be great! thanks!

a dab of superglue over joints will prevent the paint from peeling :whip

yeah i've heard of that way and also dremeling or sanding the joints some...which is the most sure fire way to get it to work right off the bat? or maybe a combination of both?...also as far as paint goes...i hear good things about tamiya but i have two questions about it...one with it stick nicely on say the gi/outfit of the neca street fighter figures? and also, they seem to only have gloss or flat, i dont want it to be shiny so i dont want the gloss but i am worried about the flat being "chalky" and having an unsmooth texture to it...any info would be great...thanks!

Re: ATTENTION all Custom Artists!!

I got a question. I am applying Super Sculpey to an Art S. Buck figure head and want to know what is the best way to harden it. I know it says bake it, but wouldn't that melt the plastic head? Any tips or tricks would be very welcome.

Not sure if anyone answered this or not, but I've done this and it won't melt. The melting temperature of the plastic buck head increases because of the insulated supersculpey around it. Therefore, you can stick it in the oven at around 350-400 max. I've not experimented with higher temps, but as long as you use it and keep it in the oven for no more than 10-20mins, you should be fine.

Okay now for my question....where can I get cheap silicone mold rubber and casting resin?

Hi there.

Ive got a question regarding sculpting (virual) 3D models from Max / zBrush.
Is there a company that actualy can sculpt my 3D Model to a (real world)
PVC/Resin etc Model (simple sculpt, no color)? Thanks in advance.

Hey there guys I am starting to paint an Indiana Jones 1:1 bust from Howard S Studios and i have a few questions...

1) I am not sure what it is made of? fiberglass i think or some sort of very strong and flexible resin. That said can i still use the model masters paints etc that peole in this thread have recomended?

2) I have read people on here refer to "powder coating" when it comes to flesh tones. What is this technique and whatis it used for?

Thanks in advance guy for your answers!
--tyler

Tyler
Acrylics should be just fine

Powder coating just means chalk pastels. They are an inexpensive way to achieve an airbrushed look with a lot more controle over the shadows & various skin tones. Careful with them though. Some brands & colors react differently after clear coated. Some barely turn up while some others darken. Test them first on throw away pieces.

hey knuckle,
thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I was wondering if you or maybe another board member could tell me where i could find a good flesh tone acrylic kit for brush-on applications and/or airbrushing. Thanks in advance.

I have a question! This has probably been answered a million times, but whatever.

How do you turn a resin sculpt into a functional one with a hole in the neck?

avbat
Freak Tone make some good & airbrush ready flesh tones through Minsters in Motion. It should be thin enough to brush on as well, mind you I prefer an airbrush just to avoid any brush strokes.

Go to Michaels hobby for the chalk pastels, make sure they are not oil. Then grab some fine sandpaper & some brushes. Both for applying & removing some. Easy.

Bigal326
Just use a good old Dremel & sand out the neck so that it fits. No problem, do it outside though, unless you really like dusting

Back