Attn: Custom Artists!! Newbs, ask Questions here!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, if there is any basic information a newb like me needs to know, feel free to chime in. The more I know before I get started the better.

Okay, I have some completely newb questions. What is the best type of paint to use, what materials are best to use for head sculpts and do most folks use airbrushes on painting a head. I have a couple projects I would like to work on and was wondering about what I would need to get started.

I think there's different techniques used. I don't know that there is a "best" type of medium, except whichever paint you're most comfortable using. Different people on this board use different brands and different types of paint. I like acrylic because it's what I have the most experience with and it's water based. I can thin it down to what I need and later I can even mix colors on the head if I'm careful. Plus, until I varnish it I can hit the reset button by soaking the head in water and then start all over. I like Rembrandt brand which can be found at art stores. I don't airbrush only because I never learned how.

Hope this helps.

It helps. Thanks. I knew I would get some different types of feedback and varied information to go on, so I do appreciate it. In fact acrylics are what I have experience with myself, and just wanted to know if there was more to painting heads. BTW, what do you use for varnish and how do you go about applying it.

I use Matte Medium for acrylic by M. Graham & Co as it was recommended at the art store, but I find it a bit semi-glossy and I'm looking for a less shiny one. For eyes and whatnot I use Liquitex's Gloss Medium & Varnish. I -- carefully -- use a brush to apply.

For the last few heads I've done, I've also been applying the varnish before I paint in lieu of primer. I find it much easier to paint on top of the acrylic varnish than the industrial strength stuff they apply at the factory.

I use Matte Medium for acrylic by M. Graham & Co as it was recommended at the art store, but I find it a bit semi-glossy and I'm looking for a less shiny one. For eyes and whatnot I use Liquitex's Gloss Medium & Varnish. I -- carefully -- use a brush to apply.

For the last few heads I've done, I've also been applying the varnish before I paint in lieu of primer. I find it much easier to paint on top of the acrylic varnish than the industrial strength stuff they apply at the factory.

Great tips. Thanks for the info!:D Now I will try to venture forward and see what comes of it. At least there's always re-dos.

Great tips. Thanks for the info!:D Now I will try to venture forward and see what comes of it. At least there's always re-dos.

Just an update, I found a good matte finish in Testor's Dullcoat so now I do a thin layer of acyclic varnish and then a hefty coat of Dullcoat on the matte bits.

Anyway, good luck with your projects. Post pics when you're done. :D

Just an update, I found a good matte finish in Testor's Dullcoat so now I do a thin layer of acyclic varnish and then a hefty coat of Dullcoat on the matte bits.

Anyway, good luck with your projects. Post pics when you're done. :D

Thanks. I may try the Testor finish myself.

Ok, Ive read every page of this thread and Im buying paints this weekend. No experiece, no idea (apart from what I have read here), just hanging to have a go.
Dumb ass question - how can I ge the dirty look on the white armour like this here? Also will really fine sand paper get that sort of effect on his clothes? Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!
20081028124743584.jpg

ok.....I will try this again......I have a Hot Toys head from the miitary line....the sculpt is a good likness for me but on the body and next to my other figs his head is very small. Now my question is how do I get a bigger head out of a smaller sculpt.

Hi,
I got a newb question that does not concern painting (I'll have to give it a whirl before I can form one I suppose).
I am looking for 1:6 scale accessories (a double barrel shotgun), and I haven't had any luck on ebay in weeks.
Does anyone have some suggestions on where I might procure said accessories online besides ebay ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Are Games Workshop/Citadel miniatures acrylic paints good paints for 1/6th?

Any help much appreciated. Ta.

Very good and the often recommended ones... You can also use Tamiya. I use Vallejo. Dont know if these are available in the US... www.acrylicosvallejo.com they are similar to Citadel but cheaper and slightly better.

ok.....I will try this again......I have a Hot Toys head from the miitary line....the sculpt is a good likness for me but on the body and next to my other figs his head is very small. Now my question is how do I get a bigger head out of a smaller sculpt.

Look through the pages of the ADA BILL MURRAY CUSTOM HEAD Thread... There was a discussion about double sizing a Slimmer figure and a link to a shop where you can buy what you need. Just click through the pages as I dont know the exact page but you will definitly find it there. I never tried it so I cannot tell you anything about that stuff... Keep us informed... :)

Hi,
I got a newb question that does not concern painting (I'll have to give it a whirl before I can form one I suppose).
I am looking for 1:6 scale accessories (a double barrel shotgun), and I haven't had any luck on ebay in weeks.
Does anyone have some suggestions on where I might procure said accessories online besides ebay ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Check one sixth depot

Hey everyone. I'm fresh to the 1/6th scale world. Although I've greatly admired so many figures and customs from afar.

I just recently bought my first figure solely for the purpose of customizing it. It's a BBi G3.5 that came with a head and two sets of hands. Now, the head is already attached and I want to remove it and create various custom heads for it... this is where I feel like the newbie, how do I take the head off? I looked at the connection points and I feel like I'm going to ruin the pre-existing head if I try and pull it off. I apologize if this has already been addressed in this thread, but there's a lot of reading that I have to catch up on here.

Thanks for any and all help.

Heat up the head with a hairdryer or by dunking it in hot water for about a minute and it should come right off with a little gentle pulling. The head sculpt will get a little soft from the heat, but it will return to normal as soon as it cools down and there won't be any permanent changes to the head or the neck post.

Heat up the head with a hairdryer or by dunking it in hot water for about a minute and it should come right off with a little gentle pulling. The head sculpt will get a little soft from the heat, but it will return to normal as soon as it cools down and there won't be any permanent changes to the head or the neck post.

Thanks for the help.

Ok, wondering if I could find help here for my question.

I'm wanting to have something added to a custom headsculpt I bought, but I'm rubbish at sculpting, does anyone know if it would be possible to have a sculptor add it onto my head, and if so, are there any suggestions?

Back