Asmus Toys : Lord of the Ring : Gothmog

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea as usual pictures don't do it justice. I did a cursory look at mine at work. I think it's going to look cool as hell. Painting on head sculpt is excellent. The mishapen hand looks good. I think the elbow on mine is ok. I don't think the molds on the right hands are that bad it's just the heavy wash between the fingers that makes it look like hell. Haven't looked at the corpse yet. Will look pretty good right out of box. A little futzing and it will look stellar.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the torso. It's completely disgusting. Guts hanging out from inside, deep chop marks... really a nice item for Gothmog to place a foot on. I just wish they had included that pike.

BTW, how much "hair" is supposed to be on the back of this guy's head? I haven't seen too many pictures of the back of his head yet.

Last edited:
I love the idea of the chopped-up torso as a display option, but the paint work on mine is a little rudimentary. Probably won't be displaying mine that way. I don't have any painting skills myself and it would probably cost more than I'm willing to pay to have somebody do it.

But still ... it's pretty cool!

BFFs...

Gothmog + Witchking.jpg

I like how the WK towers over the G man.

Funny how that red wants to pop in every picture. It's nowhere near that red in hand. In hand it's red like Nicholson's jacket in my sig.

Thanks for the rundown, Elvis! I think I'm going to try a few of those mods, too! (Though, I'm sure it wont turn out as well as yours!)

Yeah his right hands are pretty awful. Both the fist and the gripping hand. The Gondorian torso and the weapons are a little rough, too, but not as bad as those hands. It's a testament to how good the rest of the sculpting is on the figure is that I really, really dig him anyway.

Right out of the box, the left elbow on mine (the crippled "meat" arm) was totally busted, but that's fine since I'll be swapping bodies anyhow. Anybody else have that issue?

Mine wasn't busted but it was totally turned backward. Almost broke before I figured out what the issue was. My sword is missing the tip though. I don't know if I broke it or it came like that as I can't find any pieces. I'll try to source a new one on ebay or from TA...or just fix it with some milliput. I kinda wanted to give it a coat of clear varnish along the edge anyway to simulate a fresh cut.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this one. My only nitpick would be the soft rubbery boots. While they do allow for great ankle articulation, they make it challenging to stand him up without a stand,

Here's the list of all the mods I have done so far.

First I stripped the whole figure.

Switch the body with a bootleg narrow tt and used this fatsuit to make him look more imposing.
https://www.monkeydepot.com/Suit_ZC_World_Four_Piece_Fat_Bulking_Suit_p/zcl0247.htm

I dye the outfit in brown and weathered it.

I repainted the armour completely to give it more contrast. Out of the box it's just black.

I also shortened the neck a tiny bit to give him a more hunch look.

I really want to swithc the hand holding the weapon, the sculpt of that hand is very poor.

Thanks for the link and help E! I think I will at least do the suit dye and armor repaint. It is pretty dull compared to WK. And yes, the right gloved hands looked phoned in. They are just terrible. One of mine kept popping off.

Looks like you did something to make the fur cape look more gnarled and matted...did you?

Just got mine from BBTS this week. As usual, he's much better "in-hand." And the shoulder tumor came situated pretty well, under the leather shoulder armor - I thought I'd have to move it, but I think I'll leave as is. And the body is fine - any more articulation would be interfered with by the armor anyway, so I think I'll leave him. The only modification I can see is maybe some mud/blood splatter. Even though I'm more about the heroes than the villains, this guy is definitely a welcome addition to the LotR shelf.

Great pics, Para!

Just got mine from BBTS this week. As usual, he's much better "in-hand." And the shoulder tumor came situated pretty well, under the leather shoulder armor - I thought I'd have to move it, but I think I'll leave as is. And the body is fine - any more articulation would be interfered with by the armor anyway, so I think I'll leave him. The only modification I can see is maybe some mud/blood splatter. Even though I'm more about the heroes than the villains, this guy is definitely a welcome addition to the LotR shelf.

Agreed. The lump on mine was also much closer to the shoulder than the early ones. Perhaps they corrected that issue at the factory for these later arrivals.

I stripped mine down today so I could build him back up -- moved the lump anyway, dyed the clothing more brown, need to touch-up the armor with highlights and muck, add some more random hair on the back of the head, etc.

I'm toying with the idea of giving him whites to his eyes (since he didn't have black eyes and the eyes on mine are a bit wonky anyway) and maybe adding that rather distinctive bottom lip with the notches in it.

Stripped mine down and the arm was, indeed, snapped at the elbow. That was fine by me, though, as I had a spare body waiting.

My shoulder meat was far too low, so I removed it and will place it higher up once I get him back together. Planning to dye the clothes, then spatter them with mud/blood. I'll have a go at giving the armor some highlights, too.

But unfortunately, I'm painfully slow at this stuff, so Moggy's gonna be waiting in line at the dry cleaner's for a while! :lol

lol!
I took some pics of mine this morning in direct sunlight. Just added the leather strip on the waist and weathered the bottom of the trousers.
mogs1_zps6d893abb.jpg

mogs2_zpsbc2ef492.jpg

mogs3_zpsf2fb9aac.jpg

Love him...great job Asmus.

Very simple mod and effective. Looks great.

I myself am taking the very long route... full reworking. But it's really fun because he's so dirty and messy you can't really make a mistake.

breaking down Gothmog 3-15-14 (5).JPG

Crazy Gothmog naked...

Gothmog body 3-15-14 (1).JPG

highlighted the armor and painted the leather straps... even thinned the lump strap...

silvered armor 3-16-14.JPG

Back