Asmus Toys : Lord of the Ring : Gothmog

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That armor is looking awesome. Can't wait to see it finished. What color did you use to dry brush?

Silver.

Then mucked it up with dirt and rust to get it used looking.

I find that damn red still wants to pop thru in picture on that Santa suit but in hand its nearly brown -- I dyed it 5 times to get it right; it's pretty much brown with a hint of orange/rust in it -- but photos make it look red. May need to do some touch-ups now that I can see him in full...

G comp.jpg

As much as I like the evil eye that Asmus gave us, it really doesn't look like Gothmog's eye, so I had a go at changing it...

G comp cu.jpg

I think he may look too surprised now though so I may have to see if I can get a more slightly raised looking eye or just lower the dark line of the lid a touch more.

I had built up the lip with clay but didn't like it when it dried, so I'll have to redo that tomorrow...

Silver.

Then mucked it up with dirt and rust to get it used looking.

I find that damn red still wants to pop thru in picture on that Santa suit but in hand its nearly brown -- I dyed it 5 times to get it right; it's pretty much brown with a hint of orange/rust in it -- but photos make it look red. May need to do some touch-ups now that I can see him in full...

View attachment 9910

As much as I like the evil eye that Asmus gave us, it really doesn't look like Gothmog's eye, so I had a go at changing it...

View attachment 9910

I think he may look too surprised now though so I may have to see if I can get a more slightly raised looking eye or just lower the dark line of the lid a touch more.

I had built up the lip with clay but didn't like it when it dried, so I'll have to redo that tomorrow...
That looks awesome. Eye looks much better.

That looks awesome. Eye looks much better.

Thanks. I actually really did like the eye that Asmus did -- but it reminded me a bit of Green Gargantua and once I got that stuck in my mind I just had to chenge it. :lol Left the other 'hidden' eye alone though; can't get my brush in there to do the work.

I'm waiting for daylight, but my picture makes Gothmog look a bit portly. I may have added a bit too much padding.

Tomorrow the one thing I'm absolutely doing is getting rid of those ridiculous soft-rubber motorcycle boots Asmus gave him. They are silly, and they are so soft that he can't stand at all! The figure itself is very sturdy and stands very well on its own, so I'll pull a pair of boots out of the bin that will allow him to hold a stance.

Gothmog out of the box versus the new reworked Gothmog...

Original v Modded 3-16-14.jpg

Last edited:
Considering cancelling my bbts order. This will likely be in stock a while and I'm not sure it will look good with my display... Maybe. I don't know.

I was thinking about doing the same but I was afraid of ruining the good dark shadowing around the eyes and the awesome overall paintjob. How difficult was it for you to paint the new eye? You retouched some of the area around it too?

Considering cancelling my bbts order. This will likely be in stock a while and I'm not sure it will look good with my display... Maybe. I don't know.

That's too bad, but this is definitely not a must-have for most I understand.

I was thinking about doing the same but I was afraid of ruining the good dark shadowing around the eyes and the awesome overall paintjob. How difficult was it for you to paint the new eye? You retouched some of the area around it too?

The eye he comes with is great. It's just not Gothmog. But then again, neither really is the sculpt. Its a version of the movie character. So really no need to change the eye, especially if you have a nicely done one. That said, if you want to change it, it was not that difficult. But there's a bit of luck with how many attempts you must take before you get one that is totally symmetrical. It took me two tries, which for me with eyes is very minimal. I believe the paintwork on Gothmog is sealed so if you screw up your paint it easily wipes away to return the figure to the original.

Give it a go, worst case is you wipe it off.

Nice!

I had a go at weathering the clothes and armor yesterday, but I overdid it with the mud and blood. Gonna tone it back down this week. He looks like he was in the front row of a Gallagher show!

Picked up a fat suit and some gloved hands on eBay, too, so I can replace his right gripper and fist.

He's coming along ... slowly but surely ...

(I'll post a picture when he's less embarrassing looking!:lol)

Last edited:
Give it a go, worst case is you wipe it off.

I followed your advice (this forum is so full of talented people with lot of ideas I'm starting to feel the need of improve every figure. I have a bad feeling about this!)
A bit of pink for the lower eyelid, and then the eye.
It's still very evil, but I like him better.
mogeye1_zps30e5c594.jpg

mogeye2_zps156b364e.jpg

Nice!

I had a go at weathering the clothes and armor yesterday, but I overdid it with the mud and blood. Gonna tone it back down this week. He looks like he was in the front row of a Gallagher show!

(I'll post a picture when he's less embarrassing looking!:lol)

No. You must post a picture. I'm so curious now. Sometimes its hard when you're working on one piece at a time to know how the whole will look. I felt I had a bit too much 'rust' on the armor -- with the red clothing the rust popped too much so had to wash some off.

I followed your advice (this forum is so full of talented people with lot of ideas I'm starting to feel the need of improve every figure. I have a bad feeling about this!)
A bit of pink for the lower eyelid, and then the eye.
It's still very evil, but I like him better.
mogeye1_zps30e5c594.jpg

mogeye2_zps156b364e.jpg

That's nice work. I like him looking down, I know the ref you used for that.

No. You must post a picture. I'm so curious now. Sometimes its hard when you're working on one piece at a time to know how the whole will look. I felt I had a bit too much 'rust' on the armor -- with the red clothing the rust popped too much so had to wash some off.

All right, here's a couple of quick shots.

I like how much of the red in the undersuit I was able to knock down with dye, but the "blood" I added to the armor just doesn't work at all. The color is all wrong and it's too evenly distributed. And I went a little overboard on the "mud," too. Especially on the feet.

I think I'm gonna try knocking it back to mostly black and silver.

(I've also got a fat suit and some gloved hands coming.)

I wish my skills were a lot better, but it's been fun so far, though!

That's one bloody battle!

If you used acrylic it will wash right off. Give it a go again. He's a dirty and filthy guy so its hard to go wrong. Definitely a lot of fun thought, right?

All right, here's a couple of quick shots.

I like how much of the red in the undersuit I was able to knock down with dye, but the "blood" I added to the armor just doesn't work at all. The color is all wrong and it's too evenly distributed. And I went a little overboard on the "mud," too. Especially on the feet.

I think I'm gonna try knocking it back to mostly black and silver.

(I've also got a fat suit and some gloved hands coming.)

I wish my skills were a lot better, but it's been fun so far, though!
I don't see anything wrong with it. I think he looks cool.

Looks great to me to except for his squeaky clean human hand. :monkey3

What gloved hand did you order for him?

You guys are inspiring me. I might end up trying my own hand at doing some dyeing, weathrering and painting on this one.

That's one bloody battle!

If you used acrylic it will wash right off. Give it a go again. He's a dirty and filthy guy so its hard to go wrong. Definitely a lot of fun thought, right?

Looks great to me to except for his squeaky clean human hand. :monkey3

What gloved hand did you order for him?

You guys are inspiring me. I might end up trying my own hand at doing some dyeing, weathrering and painting on this one.

Thanks guys! The way I see it, no harm, no foul. It's easy enough to take another shot at it! And it's fun!

My initial thought was that I wanted him to look like he just stomped in from a muddy, bloody battlefield but I think the way the blood turned out, it makes him look like he's the one bleeding. So I think I'll dial that back (the blood color turned out too magenta-ish and weird anyway). I think I'll pull it back to some silver accents and a lighter mud application.

(Oh, and this time I have to remember to paint that one armor plate on his shoulder that's glued to the costume! Missed that one the first time. Oops!)

Here are the gloved hands I ordered. They haven't arrived yet, so I'm not sure if they're a good fit yet: https://www.ebay.com/itm/400616607017?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Did some final detailing -- gave him new boots so he can stand -- a new piece of "leather" to hang over the cod piece -- also added a new lower lip with the 4 nicks in it.

G Final  comp.jpg
G4.jpg

Gothmog with his boss.... love these two together....

G WK 1.jpgG WK 2.jpg

Back