Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out-of-the-box it seems like most are closer to Gandalf the White straight than not from what I’ve seen, mine included (which I guess is understandable since that was their starting point with the updated offering). There was a lot of stiff product holding it in that straight down position at the roots on mine, likely made worse in transit as it is all packed down tight in a plastic sleeve. Similar to @Sassafras, some water and futzing to break up the product got it looking closer to the more disheveled Grey look I prefer.

Progression - First pic upon arrival:
59ABB756-3C7C-401D-90E4-44E0BA2A6FD0.jpeg

After first water futz:
DD6CDCE6-4000-4D5D-B816-C51B0B5E42C2.jpeg

Current state after additional futzing and a very light, cautious test attempt at adding some darker layers to the hair, which probably doesn’t even come through looking at the photo now haha. I may try to do more later:
A1A9FAD3-A9C7-448E-8CAD-7253EB0D6FF9.jpeg

Out-of-the-box it seems like most are closer to Gandalf the White straight than not from what I’ve seen, mine included (which I guess is understandable since that was their starting point with the updated offering). There was a lot of stiff product holding it in that straight down position at the roots on mine, likely made worse in transit as it is all packed down tight in a plastic sleeve. Similar to @Sassafras, some water and futzing to break up the product got it looking closer to the more disheveled Grey look I prefer.

Progression - First pic upon arrival:

After first water futz:

Current state after additional futzing and a very light, cautious test attempt at adding some darker layers to the hair, which probably doesn’t even come through looking at the photo now haha. I may try to do more later:
Congrats on getting a beautiful head! It's surprised me how much hair spritzing/soaking/futzing this head will take - really well made. Good luck adding some dark layers in, I always figured if I had to I could try brushing in dye or hair powder, but I'll leave mine as is. GTW just *gleams* against him side by side.:love

To my brain the context of which body the head sculpt sits on makes a great difference. GtG has also been repainted. So it’s not as tanned as GtW. And between the two sculpts the hair and beard are very different.

No offense to anyone who sees it differently but in-hand even though the face is the same, they’re very different.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Last edited:
To my brain the context of which body the head sculpt sits on makes a great difference. GtG has also been repainted. So it’s not as tanned as GtW. And between the two sculpts the hair and beard are very different.

No offense to anyone who sees it differently but in-hand even though the face is the same, they’re very different.
To me side by side they look a lot different, especially when GTG has the hat on. I thought that was because the hat changes the way light falls on the portrait. In any case I am very pleased with my upgraded GTG v 1 and 2, and GTW. That includes their costumes including the cloak - finished seams and no skimping on the material.

To me side by side they look a lot different, especially when GTG has the hat on. I thought that was because the hat changes the way light falls on the portrait. In any case I am very pleased with my upgraded GTG v 1 and 2, and GTW. That includes their costumes including the cloak - finished seams and no skimping on the material.

Yeah, totally. The sculpted hat looks incredibly good on the the upgraded GtG sculpt! I seriously expect that it may be possible that I end up enjoying that combined effect, i.e., Asmus upgraded GtG sculpt plus resin hat, even better than InArt's (apparently) amazing head sculpt with fabric hat.

06.jpg

06a.png

10.png

Last edited:
I LOVE that several of those pics make it look like the two of them are sitting uncomfortably next to each other on the couch. It's like there's something on TV that's making them absolutely cringe, but neither one wants to bring it up. :lol

Sorry to be a killjoy on this but the beard on a lot of these heads are just way too short and the head looks like it's sitting way too high on the body...

I've been tempted to pick one up as there are definitely some excellent examples with a lush, long beard but they seem very inconsistent from each batch to the next. Anyone else noticed this?

Sorry to be a killjoy on this but the beard on a lot of these heads are just way too short and the head looks like it's sitting way too high on the body...

I've been tempted to pick one up as there are definitely some excellent examples with a lush, long beard but they seem very inconsistent from each batch to the next. Anyone else noticed this?

Actually, I did take some photos of GtG a while back for which the head sculpt wasn't properly seated giving him giraffe neck. But it's seated properly now. Maybe with the way I have him in a walking pose GtG's shoulders are slumped forward a bit? When I get a chance in a little bit I'll adjust to push his shoulder's back, stick his chest out, and see if there's a difference.

Edit: You know, actually, after taking another look, the way the head sculpt sits atop the neck it does rest a bit high! Like you can't push it down over the neck.

I mean, it's not way off imho. It does ride a smidge high, but with all that beard and hair it's not noticeable--to me anyway. This doesn't look "off" or bad to me:

IMG_1202.JPG

Last edited:
I LOVE that several of those pics make it look like the two of them are sitting uncomfortably next to each other on the couch. It's like there's something on TV that's making them absolutely cringe, but neither one wants to bring it up. :lol

🤣🤣🤣 lmao!

Yeah, totally. The sculpted hat looks incredibly good on the the upgraded GtG sculpt! I seriously expect that it may be possible that I end up enjoying that combined effect, i.e., Asmus upgraded GtG sculpt plus resin hat, even better than InArt's (apparently) amazing head sculpt with fabric hat.
Actually, I did take some photos of GtG a while back for which the head sculpt wasn't properly seated giving him giraffe neck. But it's seated properly now. Maybe with the way I have him in a walking pose GtG's shoulders are slumped forward a bit? When I get a chance in a little bit I'll adjust to push his shoulder's back, stick his chest out, and see if there's a difference.

Edit: You know, actually, after taking another look, the way the head sculpt sits atop the neck it does rest a bit high! Like you can't push it down over the neck.

I mean, it's not way off imho. It does ride a smidge high, but with all that beard and hair it's not noticeable--to me anyway. This doesn't look "off" or bad to me:
I honestly didn't notice any "sitting" high - if that's happening - possibly because I love Asmus' cloak - fully hemmed, stitched and no skimping on material (thankfully so I am not tugging on it) and as well, my "Hobbit" GTG has a scarf around him as well. IMO you need some room there.

Yeah, I totally agree about the plastic/vinyl hat. And normally I'm a plastic snob - plus, the original cloth hat is beautifully made, great material. But the vinyl hat has this texture and Asmus did a terrific job making it.

I'll risk the wrath of the rapturous InArt fans :monkey3 by commenting that TBH, am a bit disappointed in InArt's seeming fabric choices - as much as I can tell from images, not having any InArt in hand. Specifically, I don't know why they didn't go with thin wool felt for the hat (which isn't that expensive, even real wool felt) and I'm feeling a bit dubious about Aragorn's cloak and jacket material.

For InArt prices and what they seem to be striving for, I think they could have tried harder. It didn't help when I tripped over World Box magnetic forearm sets (WorldBox 1/6 Male Figure Body Forearm Arm Set AT020 S C For AT011 AT020 AT025) for ~40$ on the bay. But, will see when Aragorn comes in. And if Thorin is produced, I'll pick him up. Dunno about any more InArt $$$$$$:horror:eek:

I honestly didn't notice any "sitting" high - if that's happening - possibly because I love Asmus' cloak - fully hemmed, stitched and no skimping on material (thankfully so I am not tugging on it) and as well, my "Hobbit" GTG has a scarf around him as well. IMO you need some room there.

Yeah, I totally agree about the plastic/vinyl hat. And normally I'm a plastic snob - plus, the original cloth hat is beautifully made, great material. But the vinyl hat has this texture and Asmus did a terrific job making it.

I'll risk the wrath of the rapturous InArt fans :monkey3 by commenting that TBH, am a bit disappointed in InArt's seeming fabric choices - as much as I can tell from images, not having any InArt in hand. Specifically, I don't know why they didn't go with thin wool felt for the hat (which isn't that expensive, even real wool felt) and I'm feeling a bit dubious about Aragorn's cloak and jacket material.

For InArt prices and what they seem to be striving for, I think they could have tried harder. It didn't help when I tripped over World Box magnetic forearm sets (WorldBox 1/6 Male Figure Body Forearm Arm Set AT020 S C For AT011 AT020 AT025) for ~40$ on the bay. But, will see when Aragorn comes in. And if Thorin is produced, I'll pick him up. Dunno about any more InArt $$$$$$:horror:eek:
Yeah I agree with this. As bad as the implementation of the Crown GTG hat was, the InArt version is barely a step up and the fabric choice is poor. I hate how it has 'lines' on it!

I think there's an argument to be made that Asmus walked so InArt could run. Full rooted hair and beard at a custom-esque level was basically unheard of in this price/availability.
I'd disagree. I don't know how ASMUS came up with its business plan, but far as I can tell they looked over the market and were providing finely detailed figures and managed to keep the price down. ASMUS themselves said more or less they were dipping their toes into the more higher end stuff with the Crown line.

And while InArt seems to be pulling off sculpts, with hair - hard for me to comment without having one in hand - from what I've seen in pictures I'm not always just blown away by their choices of materials. They DO in general cost more. I've got no raging need to replace, and really love my Gandalfs and their costumes and accessories. Thorin and Thranduil, Gimli and Elrond (Elrond's sculpt was so good I wasn't even going to get him, but I did).

I just don't think of InArt as "running" when they have - so far - a very limited output, as well. Tho for me it doesn't matter, at their prices I will only ever get a figure here and there. In any case, I'm pretty bummed about whatever is going on with ASMUS - which could be being fed up with consumers who want custom quality at a minimal price (tho ASMUS has had some foul-ups), problems sourcing materials (China seems to be having a lot of economic turmoil), licensing, or other). I thought I'd be PO-ing Thranduil V2 by now. :monkey2

I also thought I'd be paying InArt Aragorn off this month, but guess not.

So they re-issued it with the new HS... for the same price as the original, but the description still mentions rotating eyes. Man, I am so pissed at this company right now. If I want that new head to "FIX" their borked sunken eyes I have to still shell out $120 when a new customer can get the whole package for $350 - the same I paid for the old release. For me... I am never recommending @Asmus or buying from them again. Now I cannot even get rid of mine for a decent loss.........

What do you expect them to do? Sometimes you end up on the wrong side of a release upgrade, sometimes you get a win. I ended up on the wrong side too, it kinda sucks but I don't blame Asmus for it.

I said what I would have done. Discount it for those who have the old release. But to me it looks they shifted the heads to the full release which was available as opposed to the heads only. You think this through as bad business decisions will have repercussions at some point. This, to me, is not how you keep loyal customers.

Back