Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I just noticed. The strap on the bag is not the tiny thread present in the original release as well. Did the "upgrade" that as well? Ah, more to get me annoyed with them. Their upgrades are turning to be quite costly.
On the positive side - happy for all of those who are happy with that company and their releases. 👍

1703163341215.png

Another thing I just noticed. The strap on the bag is not the tiny thread present in the original release as well. Did the "upgrade" that as well? Ah, more to get me annoyed with them. Their upgrades are turning to be quite costly.
On the positive side - happy for all of those who are happy with that company and their releases. 👍

View attachment 679769
*Shrug* Far as I know, actually InArt got that right, that the strap is some sort of braided strap, which ASMUS never did. Stuff like that doesn't bother me, because it'd be easy enough to make my own - with real leather too, if needed.

On the other hand, while I am still getting Aragorn, there's nothing I can do about the large seam of the outer jacket or using material that doesn't look like leather, or some other problems like the short jacket length, unless InArt fixes that....

And neither company is exciting me at at moment, with ASMUS taking a break re Thranduil, apparently:monkey2; and unless InArt releases Thorin and/or maybe does a Daenerys in a different oufit....

I guess I'll work on paying off my Hot Toys Dewback. :monkey3

more head (gray) is available from Asmus- act quick if you've been trying to get some.

I think I screwed up. I ordered one and it arrived yesterday but it looks like it is for a version thats earlier than the one I bought in 2023 (in video below).

watch

If thats the case and anyone in the U.S. is interested in one of these let me know.

Yeah there have been 3 Gandalf the Grey (kinda) from Asmus. First one was released a while ago but the 2nd came out like 2021/2, the headsculpt wasn't well loved so they came out with a 3rd with an updated sculpt based on their Gandalf the White which is their most recent 2023 ver (I quite like the second still having owned the newer release though 😅)

Attachments

• GTG.png
    GTG.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
I think I screwed up. I ordered one and it arrived yesterday but it looks like it is for a version thats earlier than the one I bought in 2023 (in video below).

watch

If thats the case and anyone in the U.S. is interested in one of these let me know.
You ordered the head sculpt alone and got the original sculpt that came with their first crown figure? You order off of eBay?

???
the "head" I was alerting to as available again on the Asmus website was this one (gone again unfortunately).
newest.jpg

Last edited:
You ordered the head sculpt alone and got the original sculpt that came with their first crown figure? You order off of eBay

I Didn't think my post would cause so much confusion.

I own the GtG figure shown in the video I posted. Thats the " 2nd gen" GtG I guess.

I thought the head upgrade thats been posted here was for that one so ordered from Asmus.

It arrived and I than realized it was for an earlier version I didn't know existed.

Its too much trouble to send back to Asmus in China.

If anyone is interested in it hit me up.

I Didn't think my post would cause so much confusion.

I own the GtG figure shown in the video I posted. Thats the " 2nd gen" GtG I guess.

I thought the head upgrade thats been posted here was for that one so ordered from Asmus.

It arrived and I than realized it was for an earlier version I didn't know existed.

Its too much trouble to send back to Asmus in China.

If anyone is interested in it hit me up.
Can you post a pic of the sculpt please? I think where the confusion lies is that nobody else knows of a Gandalf headsculpt available on their site that is an earlier version. AFAIK the only sculpts they are selling alone are the GTW and the new GTG which is the GTW sculpt but haired like GTG. This sculpt is for the figure from that video. Maybe they sent you the wrong one?

Yeah I'm also confused. Gandalf 1.0 has a sculpted beared.
Then there is Gandalf 2.0 Crown Version which you have in the video
Then there is Gandalf the white head, with grey hair as an upgrade to the 2.0 Version (some think its an upgrade, others like their original GtG sculpt)

That are all versions. And they certainly don't sell the 1.0 head...

Can you post a pic of the sculpt please? I think where the confusion lies is that nobody else knows of a Gandalf headsculpt available on their site that is an earlier version. AFAIK the only sculpts they are selling alone are the GTW and the new GTG which is the GTW sculpt but haired like GTG. This sculpt is for the figure from that video. Maybe they sent you the wrong one?

God I am such an idiot.

When I pulled off the old GtG head this piece stayed on the body.

an identical piece was in the new head.

I didn't realize what was going on so thats why I thought it was the wrong head.

Somebody just shoot me and put me out of my misery lol...

Attachments

• IMG_2986.jpeg
    IMG_2986.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I’m so confused

Sorry..this is why I don't post much or comment in meetings at work!

the sculpt I ordered had a piece of plastic in it that is used to hold and connect the ball joint to the body..

when I pulled the original sculpt off the body, there was an identical piece of plastic that remained on the body.

I didn't realize what was going on at first. It was only this morning I realized I needed to remove that piece of plastic from the body in order to get the new sculpt to fit

I flocked the plastic hat from Asmus.
It was so much easier to do than I thought it would be.
I think he looks fantastic!
View attachment 689776View attachment 689777

So you brushed or sprayed it with a clear tacky substance (glue, basically) and sprinkled some farbic flecks on it in the texture and color of the hat? It looks cool. Mind sharing what specifically you used?

Any concerns about the dye of the flocking material rubbing off on the rooted hair of the head sculpt? I mean to look realistic and finished there needs to be some of that stuff on the hat where it meets his hair, no?

I’ve got two of those hats so I’m tempted to have a go at it with one of them.

Last edited:
How to flock the plastic Asmus Gandalf hat!

Step One
: get your flocking powder. I found Etsy to have the best/cheapest choices.
For $5.75 US you can get a rayon velvet nail flocking kit like this. (it doesn't take much)
Or you can buy larger bags if you want.
You can also mix the powders to get the exact colour you desire.
rayon velvet flocking powder.jpg

Step Two: set up
You will need a large bowl, Flocking powder, a glass, screw driver or dowel stick, adhesive, a sieve, alcohol,
soft paint brush, paper towels, and a plastic bag (or something slick) to work on.

CAUTION: The flocking powder is very fine, and can easily be inhaled.
If your worried I'd recommend you wear some kind of dust mask to prevent inhalation!

set up.jpg

Step Three:
Wipe down the hat with the alcohol to remove any oils.
alcohol to wipe.jpg

wipe down.jpg

Step Four:
wet some paper towel and squeeze out the water. Jam it inside the hat- tightly,
then poke the screw driver (or dowel) into it, so it will firmly hold, giving you
something to hang on to.
Make sure it doesn't cover anything you want flocked.
secure to driver.jpg

Step five:
Open your bottle of adhesive. I used this-
flexible adhesive.jpg

Make sure it' remains "flexible" after drying.
Then with the brush, paint on a nice thin (but not too thin),
even coat on all surfaces you want flocked. Do not let the glue puddle in the creases.
Make sure not to coat the little pad with the magnet on the inside front.
(I removed the screw driver for most of this step to make it easier)
Make double sure you get the edges of the brim!
apply adhesive.jpg

Step Six: Flocking
Place the screw driver into the glass, and the glass into the bowl
(to catch the excess flocking powder).
place in glass over bowl.jpg

Pour some flocking powder into the sieve...over your plastic bag/slick working surface.
flock into sieve.jpg

and lightly shake/tap the side of the sieve over the hat, letting the flock rain down
onto it.
apply flocking.jpg

you will need to pick up the screw diver and turn it around, to make sure you coat all surfaces of the hat
as heavily as possible. Let the excess fly into the bowl (you can reclaim it when finished)!
Put it on way heavier than needed. Then when done, lightly tap it off over the bowl and repeat.
It should now look like this- with a too heavy coating... don't worry the excess will fall right off.
over flocked.jpg

Step Seven:
Allow to dry for recommended time for your chosen adhesive.
Then come back and lightly tap off the excess.
tap off excess.jpg

I found that sometime I will get uneven colour patches (lighter spots).
To remedy I found that I could shake more powder onto those surfaces
(without additional glue), and lightly rub it in with my fingers, then
gently shake/blow on that surface and everything seems to even out.
rub down.jpg

Step Eight:
Admire your handy work!!
Finished product.
finished.jpg

done.jpg

Now you can scrape, pour, all the leftover flocking from the bowl and the
plastic working surface, back into the container it came in, to use on another project.

Good luck and hope this helps?!

Also: I have not had any bleeding from the flocking I used onto the hair/head of my figure.
I have wet the flocking in my hands, and my tools, rubbed it thoroughly, and have not seen any release of pigment.

Last edited:
Good luck and hope this helps?!

Also: I have not had any bleeding from the flocking I used onto the hair/head of my figure.
I have wet the flocking in my hands, and my tools, rubbed it thoroughly, and have not seen any release of pigment.
Looks amazing I'd idly thought about trying that....do you think a spray with a matte varnish is worthwhile (to fix the flocking?)

Anyway great job and nice to know it works, to give a true cloth texture (y) :clap

Back