Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One would think, right? There was a time when details and accuracy to the real deal used to matter regardless if they were seen on screen or not.
Well, apologies to those with no interest in pantgate. :horse

Don't have the time to do film screenshots right now - maybe someone else can beat me to it - but yes, Gandalf was wearing his pants :banghead , both in LOTR and Hobbit. Not always easy to see since Sir Ian wanted his costume worn and muddy - this vid doesn't have the pants tho, just some comments 😁 (

around 10:26). Interesting how wide and loose the pants really were. As another poster mentioned, Sideshow's original figure had them too (Lord of the Rings Gandalf action figure - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy).

Gandalf_pantLOTR.jpg

Gandalf_pants_lite.jpg

I have to be in the mood to watch films just to take screen shots of someone's pants.:banghead

My head came in amazing time :)

All the way from China to the UK in less than a week!!!

And wow such an improvement
Congrats!:clap:duff

Yeah, it's like getting a new fig, post some pics if u can.

Last edited:
I remember reading that Grand Moff Tarkin once complained that his boots were uncomfortable, so he wore slippers when the boots weren't visible on screen. Of course, for scenes where the boots were visible, he wore them.
If it's never seen on screen, there's always a possibility that Ian might find the printed trousers too hot or uncomfortable and decide not to wear them on screen, opting for boxers or even going commando instead. 🤣 Who knows!

Touché! 👍
This just reminds me about Sean Astin or one of the Hobbits talking about how they had to be up at ridiculous o’clock every day to have their hobbit feet applied and then he realised that their feet weren’t visible in-frame the majority of the time.

This just reminds me about Sean Astin or one of the Hobbits talking about how they had to be up at ridiculous o’clock every day to have their hobbit feet applied and then he realised that their feet weren’t visible in-frame the majority of the time.
Yeap XD

In the world of movie production, it's not uncommon for actors to opt out of certain costume pieces for their own comfort, as with Grand Moff Tarkin. Conversely, the costume department may apply everything, even if it won't be visible on screen. There are pros and cons to this approach. On the plus side, if the Director of Photography or Peter Jackson himself wants to experiment with different angles, all the hobbit feet are already applied and ready to go. (And come on, they also doubled as cool-looking shoes!)
However, if these pieces don't end up on screen, it can be a waste of time and money.

These small details can vary throughout the many months of a long shoot. As a result, no one will likely remember how many days Peter Cushing actually wore specific shoes or slippers.. and so on.

As for Gandalf here.. his shoes were fly, even though sometimes they were mismatched. He's got a serious fashion sense.
0957.jpeg

1407.jpeg

Great upgrade! I actually liked the old sculpt alright, but it was so angle and lighting specific that it’s nice to have one that looks solid all around. Feel a lot better about its eventual pairing with InArt’s Aragorn too.

72220994-9140-4783-AADC-60AA340CC886.jpeg

Hey @Asmus please check your private messages, I replied to your message from Sunday but haven't heard back at all. Just looking for confirmation.

Really nice pics/angles/pose/lighting. Makes me want to get another head just to have it. :lol
Thank you. 🙂
Color is definitely a hot topic when it comes to "screen accuracy" people ***** and moan about the color being wrong because "X" prop was this color but then the color changed because of whatever filter the Director used on screen.

If you want "screen accuracy" then you go with with was shown ON SCREEN.

Here's looking at you Joker's purple coat, Myer's coveralls and Han's Hoth coat. It's a personal thing, but for me screen > prop.

As for the print on Gandalfs pants, I had no idea it had any until I bought the Asmus figure. I didn't buy any of the old SSC figures. I was pleasantly surprised and think it looks really cool. However, I'm not at all upset the InArt figure doesn't have it.

Last edited:
For those if you who have bought the full upgraded figure; are the hands now painted to match the new head or are they still pale like the original figure?

For those if you who have bought the full upgraded figure; are the hands now painted to match the new head or are they still pale like the original figure?

I think they’re just offering the upgraded head sculpt plus resin hat, aren’t they? I just looked on Asmus website and they’re showing the upgrade package and original GtG figure both out of stock.

Anyway, I haven’t bothered to do it, but now with the upgraded head sculpt I might eventually try swapping out the the hands for GtG with GtW’s. The upgraded GtG sculpt is repainted to make him paler than the more tanned GtW, so the discrepancy really isn’t that great imho. But the paint in the hands is fairly minimal compared with InArt’s which literally has dirt on his fingernails, lol.

I think they’re just offering the upgraded head sculpt plus resin hat, aren’t they? I just looked on Asmus website and they’re showing the upgrade package and original GtG figure both out of stock.

Anyway, I haven’t bothered to do it, but now with the upgraded head sculpt I might eventually try swapping out the the hands for GtG with GtW’s. The upgraded GtG sculpt is repainted to make him paler than the more tanned GtW, so the discrepancy really isn’t that great imho. But the paint in the hands is fairly minimal compared with InArt’s which literally has dirt on his fingernails, lol.
No they also now are offering the full Crown figure WITH the upgraded sculpt and hat. For $350.

So essentially for us fans who preordered or ordered the Crown from the very beginning have now paid more for what they are now offering to collectors now.

Brushed his hair out with some warm water to break up the heavy product keeping the hair rigidly straight. Giving it that wavier, messier look definitely helps sell it as Gandalf the Grey better for me, but I think I may still try to add a little more grey to his hair at some point.

69FD98D0-E3C0-4595-8A0E-93DC7295211E.jpeg

No they also now are offering the full Crown figure WITH the upgraded sculpt and hat. For $350.

So essentially for us fans who preordered or ordered the Crown from the very beginning have now paid more for what they are now offering to collectors now.

Oh… hmm.

Yes i lightened up the whites of the eyes a tad. It helps a little but it doesn't alleviate the bigger issue of the eyes sitting too deep inside the sockets.
Looks great. I'm working on mine but they are currently too white. Do you recommend a particular shade of white paint?

I'm content enough with the original :gandalf
I'm carefully keeping my original as well, it's a great sculpt. I'm curious if one day I can just fill the eyes and use decals - I'm not a big fan, or user, of rolling eyeballs. I think with a good sculpt you can get a range of expressions with hats, the way the head is positioned, etc.
But I'm getting them with my latest Obi-Wan whether I want them or not. 😁

I can understand why that might irritate some. For myself I am too happy with my new Gandalf. *Emotionally*:monkey3 for me it doesn't feel different than picking up a backdrop, or a new shelf, or base, or the random accessories I pick up. ASMUS didn't have to do anything. Folks "upgrade" all the time like I'm wondering whether to try for that HT Wanda....

And since I hauled figures out of the cabinet, it's been a while since I gave them a close look and am delighted that everyone is aging so well - no brittleness or plastic oiling or parts falling off, I can thrill again:monkey3 at the details of the swords and accessories. Luv my figs. 😁 ASMUS should do a rooted hair young Bilbo so I don't have to try to learn to do that.

ASMUS_Gandalf_youngBilbo_opt.jpg

ASMUS_Gandalf_youngBilbo2_opt.jpg

Last edited:
The pants or “culottes” pattern isn’t seen on screen I don't think. However, it’s there according to those that have seen the costume. This site has a ton of detail on the costume:

https://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Wizard/Gandalf/Grey.htm#Culottes
Theonering.net also mentions the culottes having the pattern.
Ohh sorry to dig this back up, but didn't know this discussion was also going on here. I did some digging myself and these are the only two sources on the internet that mentioned the pattern does exists on the pants. Or at least they do exists on the pants that were in display. Keep in mind the "Alley Cats Scratch" website noted that there were two different designs in two different exhibitions in 2001 and 2003.

Now since there isn't a single frame in the movie or a good photo that show the pants out there (during filming or physically at all). Hard to say if it was ever actually on there during filming/on-screen. One fellow freak did find this low res picture though in the InArt thread.

Personally I think it's either not there (just mud splatters) or the design was never prominent enough to be printed clearly like how Sideshow and Asmus did it. I'm not even a LOTR fan but just found this little detail so secretive and interesting lol.
474564-0449-1-.jpeg

Back