Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I have to disagree with, the sculpt it looking incredible. They even showed us the raw unpainted sculpt, it is spot on to me.

Sorry but after seeing Elvis' amazing Gandalf the Grey I'm just not feeling it with the Asmus one.

Sorry but after seeing Elvis' amazing Gandalf the Grey I'm just not feeling it with the Asmus one.

That's not even a fair comparison really. Not even the same in my mind. There is also a drastic cost difference if I commissioned one instead. I cannot afford customs of everything haha.

That's not even a fair comparison really. Not even the same in my mind. There is also a drastic cost difference if I commissioned one instead. I cannot afford customs of everything haha.

True but imagine if they hired him. I'm not really impressed by the sculpt. Thinking of cancelling my order from BBTS.

True but imagine if they hired him. I'm not really impressed by the sculpt. Thinking of cancelling my order from BBTS.

It's not a matter of hiring a talented artist or not. Individual commissions vs mass production are totally different things. This sculpt could also benefit from paint and hairing.

I just don't see McKellan at all in that sculpt.

View attachment 124946

Posted on asmus's facebook about a hour ago. Also, in one of the comments they did confirm that the stitching has been lightened. Just looked darker in picture I guess.

It's not perfect but it's damn close.
Weapon Staff Gandalf the White April2004 $200 UC (1).jpg

Dammit I don't know why the other image doesn't show. It does in preview.

Last edited:
It is close. My one complaint would be I wish they could have pulled it off with rooted hair. I think that might have taken it to the next level.

whats the current release date ?

All they officially say is third quarter.

However, like some of the other guys told me. It takes about a month for it to get here from Hong Kong. So if it ships fairly soon then mid September.

It is close. My one complaint would be I wish they could have pulled it off with rooted hair. I think that might have taken it to the next level.

Yeah, rooted hair would be awesome, the hair looks a bit clunky, but that's mostly a matter of taste. That's why I've been favoring ACI's aragorn so far

Yeah, rooted hair would be awesome, the hair looks a bit clunky, but that's mostly a matter of taste. That's why I've been favoring ACI's aragorn so far

Have aci shown anything else besides the pic of Aragorn on the computer?

Sorry guys. I want to like it. It's a good likeness of Gandalf if it were based on an animated version of him. It's too stylized.

I just don't see it as stylized. People may not think it looks like Gandalf but it does look like a real person unlike the stylized sculpts that DAM release with some of their sets. Maybe it's the nose that's putting you off but Ian McKellan has a big nose.

I just don't see it as stylized. People may not think it looks like Gandalf but it does look like a real person unlike the stylized sculpts that DAM release with some of their sets. Maybe it's the nose that's putting you off but Ian McKellan has a big nose.

Ian Mckellan also wore a larger prosthetic nose for the film.

I'd have to say that's a darn nice Gandalf figure. :clap
I'm sure other peeps'll point out certain stuff. But I'd have to say it looks pretty good. :)

Back