Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say that's a darn nice Gandalf figure. :clap
I'm sure other peeps'll point out certain stuff. But I'd have to say it looks pretty good. :)

I'm pretty impressed with it. Its still coming with that brick style base right?

My only worry looking at that picture is I hope the sword sheath doesn't look too plastic.

I think it looks great there. Certainly will fit in well with the Sideshow pieces.

Looks to be a lot of detail in the outfit. I wish they had made the proper cuffs on the sleeves, but...

Your right. I wish that they had done that as well.

If it is just ordinary barbie root hair like Hot Toys did, it is ok, but if you want to root hair like what Elvis69 did to be massively manufactured, it will be very very difficult.

Because in order to make one look as good as that, the amount of hair and the distribution of hair has to be precised. In other words, needs the eyes and hands of an artist, not an assembly line worker.

Another good example is Jokers root hair we have seem by (sorry... I forgot to save the author's name),
Hot Toys still not manage to challenge on that. (eventhough they have done like.... 2000 different Jokers?)

902475_144351929076785_1704861759_o.jpg

Because in Joker's hair, it is the technique/material like Elvis did with the beards, not Barbie like hair HT did in Black Widow.

The sleeve is a regret now... if we can find out earlier,
we can do something about it like we did with the edge print of the cape.

10514875_945429815473911_1485236102_n55.jpg

Can't believe we slip that one out...

I'd have to say that's a darn nice Gandalf figure. :clap
I'm sure other peeps'll point out certain stuff. But I'd have to say it looks pretty good. :)
Right? Perfection is a lofty and unattainable goal. Where else are you going to find a Gandalf the White like this at this price?

I have my nitpicks, but none of them warrant a pass.

The sleeve is a regret now... if we can find out earlier,
we can do something about it like we did with the edge print of the cape.

View attachment 125248

Can't believe we slip that one out...

Cape trim looks beautiful.

Some things will always be missing. Even on HT figures. I still believe Gandalf looks to be a wonderful figure and is a huge leap for Asmus.

Looks good. I hope Asmus sticks with sculpted hair for consistency's sake. Even in the few cases where rooted hair comes out nice in production, there's always the potential for it to get worse (frizzy, etc.) over time.

Overall it looks fantastic to me and I cannot wait for bbts to get theirs in so I can ship my pile of loot and get my Gandalf and Gurtiz.

To tell the truth from the pictures I think he turned out better than I anticipated. Remember this is the first human figure they have done for Lord of the Rings. Without a doubt this says "Gandalf the White". Anybody walking into my house that has seen the Lord of the Rings will recognize it right away. Again basing it on the pictures it looks steps ahead of what Sideshow delivered us and the price is a welcome relief compared to what Hot Toys and even Sideshow are now charging per figure.

Good job Asmus!

As far as rooted hair goes, I am not sold on it. Like Asmus pointed out in order to make it top notch and avoid Barbie comparisons you really need an artist doing it and not an assembly line of mass production. I think they made the right call. Doing scuplted hair is a safer more affordable option. I am curious to see how ACI's Aragorn works out with rooted hait and I plan on buying it as long as it doesn't look Barbie like but given a choice I would vote for rooted unless someone like elvis was making on for me himself.

I've ordered him. The on hands pics convinced me.
I really enjoy what Asmus has been doing, and I'm happy that they're taking on LOTR.
I've already ordered the Nazgul + Steed, and I'm also saving a spot for Shadowfax and Sauron

It's not perfect but what about it seems so far off too you?

Really don't like the headsculpt. It just doesn't look like McKellan to me. I'll wait and see if ACI makes one. This just isn't a nearly $200 figure IMO.

Back