Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this in today. First impression: very impressive! So much for the price.

Ankles are a bit loose and the hair, so far, is a challenge to get it to look natural/good, but I like the pose-ability (I think). Water-treating the hood to get it to lay flat. Can't wait to take some shots with him!

The base is needlessly awkward to connect. The round base hole for the screw is loose and, like Mike said you have to hold it with a knife to screw the rock on. I would have liked a better right gripping hand for his staff as the only one provided holds it a bit loosely. Other than these things he doesn't take much futzing to look great.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Glad that wasn't just on mine! I took a toothpick with some plastic/metal glue and ran it around the top edge of the screw, srewed the post into it a bit and pulled it up to secure it to the top of the base. I t looks like there may have been some glue there to begin with. Just not sure why they didn't put two bolt in or build up underneath it to hold it in place.

Glad that wasn't just on mine! I took a toothpick with some plastic/metal glue and ran it around the top edge of the screw, srewed the post into it a bit and pulled it up to secure it to the top of the base. I t looks like there may have been some glue there to begin with. Just not sure why they didn't put two bolt in or build up underneath it to hold it in place.

That's a great way to do it too. It's mad that they give us instructions for how to put his bag on but not this!!

8a0a7471333441afc002d9d095ff4786.jpg

Don't see it myself.

Looks decent in that pic. Other pics not so much. Either way, looking forward to getting mine soon from sideshow. Got the shipping soon notification.

I got mine yesterday. I'll just echo what others have said:

He looks pretty good out of the box, but will still need some work.
The head sculpt doesn't look nearly as old in hand
The ankles are so incredibly loose

Overall, I think Asmus did a fantastic job here!

Except that others who ordered direct received tracking. That's what makes me nervous.

I did not even get a confirmation email when I paid the balance... I have been in contact with Rola over there as there was a glitch in their computer system when I pre-ordered both Gandalf and Grishnik so they don't show up in my order history on my account at all. Rola assured me they are placed properly and not to worry but when I did not get even a paypal confirmation on paying the rest, I emailed again and got a prompt response that it had been shipped and gave me a tracking number (although the Taiwan post site they use has no other details than it has been shipped and that it has been somewhere in China for several days).

Their direct email response has been good and they thanked me for my patience. BTW, all the other things I have ordered direct from them have just shown up without a tracking number or email and a heads up: because they come USPS here in the States you have to give a signature so it took several days of playing tag with orange post cards before either my wife or I were home to receive it.

I did not even get a confirmation email when I paid the balance... I have been in contact with Rola over there as there was a glitch in their computer system when I pre-ordered both Gandalf and Grishnik so they don't show up in my order history on my account at all. Rola assured me they are placed properly and not to worry but when I did not get even a paypal confirmation on paying the rest, I emailed again and got a prompt response that it had been shipped and gave me a tracking number (although the Taiwan post site they use has no other details than it has been shipped and that it has been somewhere in China for several days).

Their direct email response has been good and they thanked me for my patience. BTW, all the other things I have ordered direct from them have just shown up without a tracking number or email and a heads up: because they come USPS here in the States you have to give a signature so it took several days of playing tag with orange post cards before either my wife or I were home to receive it.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, Rola is very kind and helpful and pretty quick with her response time. Seems their site/system could use some updating though.

My ankles are pretty much fine on mine. I have little issue there.

What I did do was remove the fat suit. I highly suggest all of you do this as well.

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed. The sculpt is there especially with angular shots and I'll eat crow, I'm actually liking the rooted hair.

Use the beard to pin hair! Create loops that will pull hair in the directions you need and tuck it beneath the beard. You can manipulate it easily that way! I did make a point to loosen up the product in the hair a bit. But I didn't not wash it out. Just detangled with my fingers a bit. All around though I like what I paid for and am glad to have supported Asmus. Getting away from the macro photography does the sculpt a world of good. I may darken his eyebrows a bit and add some depth to the beard below the lower lip. But otherwise, it looks very good. Everyone's gonna know who this is.

211e0200ff66924ddc8adb0ed9b11c38.jpg

What I did do was remove the fat suit. I highly suggest all of you do this as well.

Otherwise I'm pretty impressed. The sculpt is there especially with angular shots and I'll eat crow, I'm actually liking the rooted hair.

Use the beard to pin hair! Create loops that will pull hair in the directions you need and tuck it beneath the beard. You can manipulate it easily that way! I did make a point to loosen up the product in the hair a bit. But I didn't not wash it out. Just detangled with my fingers a bit. All around though I like what I paid for and am glad to have supported Asmus. Getting away from the macro photography does the sculpt a world of good. I may darken his eyebrows a bit and add some depth to the beard below the lower lip. But otherwise, it looks very good. Everyone's gonna know who this is.

That's a great looking Gandalf, congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pose @dioramamaker
Thanks, Thainitty! I think I'm going to go with stoic poses on this figure. It's more fitting I think.
That's a great looking Gandalf, congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, D..C!

One more tonight. Darker lighting and I added the cloak. Reminds me of one of my first ToyBiz LoTR figs. 8 year old me would be going nuts right now. I don't have a permanent detolf cube for him yet. Thinking about who gets shuffled around. I try to pair two figs usually, but at the moment Gandalf is a wee bit lonesome.

7b2111d2159bcc9b2c10c59bce6495f8.jpg

Last edited:
@varoh I really like that second pic with Gandalf in the forest, really nice
Thanks very much man. That's my woodland diorama. Had to take everyone else of for that shot.getting a little crowded in there now. That's why he's on top of the cabinet in the last shots until I can rejig everyone.

Thanks everyone for posting pics :rock

I haven't been paying attention because I completely overlooked the inclusion of a fat suit. This is a bit of a surprise as I don't imagine the character having the need for one. I think I'll be removing mine when it arrives, looks good without it.

Thanks everyone for posting pics :rock

I haven't been paying attention because I completely overlooked the inclusion of a fat suit. This is a bit of a surprise as I don't imagine the character having the need for one. I think I'll be removing mine when it arrives, looks good without it.

DM's figure is looking great and I can't talk before having it in hand but Gandalf, like many old characters, needs a fat suit for a sort of soft belly suggestion on the belt area, expecially if the rest of the body is ripped like most of standard 1/6 bodies. I even added one to Saruman, drespite Sir Lee being tall and slender, beacuse the belt needed one to sit properly.

Just look at how the belt sits in this pic:
gandalf.png

I was one of the ones who chose to leave the fat suit in my Heisenberg, so I totally hear what you're saying. But given that, the padding that is on the figure is a right bullet proof vest and very stiff, not squidgy.

59206aee135879568a0954812b8de8d2.jpg

49a14121c4039c4bf2f779686dfd9efc.jpg

The effect you describe is definitely achieved by the bagginess of his robes and the cotton long sleeve shirt underneath. Whether it actually was caused by that in reality or not, I can't say, but it looks the part here with a slightly tightened belt. I'm not going to undo my whole pose, but you can see here from this side photo that you get exactly the style you're looking for.

e363839499460fdb068345351ca99c11.jpg

You also get much more naturalistic folds in the robe without it, and a decreased barrel chest effect. Look at Gandalf in Moria or in Bag End, he's not downing 6 packs by any means. A wee bit of puff, but again that could very well be the robes.

I'm expecting that you might add your own batting honestly. The body underneath, while muscularly sculpted, is surprisingly slim. The wrist pegs are actually tiny, almost akin to female HT ones, to give you an idea.

Side note: I definitely hope I didn't come across as upset or confrontational! I think you cite a good point and I just wanted to show my justifications!

@varoh yeah that forest setting works great
@dioramamaker I agree on the stoic poses...similar to one I've had in mind..I like the look you achieved by removing the ballistics fat suit but I also like the pics with the fat suit on...I'll have to wait until mine arrives to decide.

Back