Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like Ian Mckellen Gandalf. There i said it. Fire away!!! BTW, I have this on PO.

Face still looks too craggly and too long/narrow, compounded by the odd bald spot under his lower lip. Hair looks much better than I expected and probably will look even better futzed, which could also help the appearance of the face. Hope the hat can sit lower than pictured. I love the way the costume looks - baggy but still fitted to his upper body.

Fourth picture down I see the likeness.

I will darken the beard beneath his lower lip.

Futz work is required. But I think at this point we all expect that.

They got the leaf pattern on his inner robe, that's nice.

The eyebrows will need some touch up as well. They should be more prominent.

Does Asmus just charge your PayPal or do they give you a heads up?

Hey guys, finally at a place where I can PO this. Does anyone know if the PO bonuses are still available? Or if they pull them at a certain point? Thanks!

Look at the paint app of the beard under the lower lip ( did they change the sculpt of the beard?) The pictures on Asmus site looks better than what we have now. :(

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey guys, finally at a place where I can PO this. Does anyone know if the PO bonuses are still available? Or if they pull them at a certain point? Thanks!

I can't speak for every retailer but I ordered Aragorn from Timewalkertoys.com and at that time they told me their stock all counted as "pre-order" even if you ordered it after it arrived. As far as I know there was no release of Aragorn without the "bonus" head (someone pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Gandalf looks great I am so looking forward to getting this! I also wish asmus would send mouth of sauron to US retailers - _ - dying to get him already

The pictures from AJ's show a sculpt that appears to match up with the photos on Asmus' website. Asmus can chime in here but I don't see a big difference other than the paint apps. Also the AJ's pictures have a bit of diffused light going on that will certainly skew the detail that can only be seen in hand.

As with all the Asmus figures, there will be plenty of futzing to go around...btw the hat in the AJ's pics look very high on Gandalf's head.

Hmm, I think it looks pretty good and I'm going to get it but I expect to hear some complaints from the usual members. People on FB will probably tear into it as well.

:wave :lol

It's about what I expected to see. These pics haven't changed my mind on the figure. Far too old for a FOTR Gandalf. The hair rooting is pretty good. The futzing by the blogger isn't very good, as is often the case with these bloggers. The sculpt is too old, the eyebrows are criminally non-existant, the sculpt on page one was a million times better etc. Outfit looks good.

Overall I'm disappointed and I'm passing on it. Ah well.

But why the change? Why didn't they go ahead with the first sculpt they showed? It's so baffling to me why they changed it...

Looking back to the first photo of the sculpted hair version....I'm not entirely sure this new sculpt is different. Remember, that first one was unfinished, unpainted, and didn't have the rooted hairline created. If you look at the beards on both, they follow the same sculpt pattern. Something that would be hard to duplicate so identically on a new sculpt. I think they aged the original sculpt, put in the rooted hair, and finalized the length and shape of the beard.

Wow...super disappointed in the final outcome of this. I know Gandalf is a book character, but since these are based off the films, it looks nothing like him. This figure just looks old and sickly, I couldn't imagine a Gandalf that looked like this fighting off the Balrog.

I had such high hopes for this figure. I was going to have this be the first LOTR figure in my collection and purchase everything Fellowship and Elf they put out afterwards, but this just casts doubt over doing that now. I had to cancel my preorder with Sideshow. I just can't see myself looking at this figure in my display case next to my nice Hot Toys and being happy with it. What a bummer.

I'll hope by the time they do Eomer, Faramir and Boromir they have the sculpting figured out, but until then, I'm going to have to wonder who signed off on this. Sorry to be a downer for those who like it, I just couldn't be more disappointed.

I can't speak for every retailer but I ordered Aragorn from Timewalkertoys.com and at that time they told me their stock all counted as "pre-order" even if you ordered it after it arrived. As far as I know there was no release of Aragorn without the "bonus" head (someone pls correct me if I'm wrong).

Incorrect. My Aragorn that I got from BBTS had the bonus head sculpt. But if you dont have it, it's no great loss. The bonus head sculpt was pretty bad.

EDIT: Just realized you meant no release without the headsculpt in that they all included the bonus head. Maybe lol

Nose and eyes are way off... Very bad head sculpt. Outfit and the rest are more than ok,but the hs is a deal breaker for me.

The prototype was close. The final one looks more squeezed, just as it was with GTW sculpt. Eyes and nose should be a bit broader, and definitely nose should be not longer. Now it is late to adjust anyway.
All the accs are perfect. But final sculpt does not look too good. Hope they manage Frodo and Sam, but I tend to be less optimistic about likeness now.
0A5C924100000514-0-image-a-22_1429656899934.jpg
1406.jpg

I'm really on the fence with this now, its not the same quality as first pictured, the customiser in me wants to see him in hand and try some modifying... weathering and even attempt to re-hair his head and maybe beard, even though iv'e never done it before. But then part of me says he's not worth the money now, spend it on a hot toy instead :gah:

Back