Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Asmus!! Now if we could only get ThreeZero to stop putting 1/4 scale hands and feet on 1/6 scale figures.... I'm kidding... Seriously though, I'm really liking this figure more and more. Looking forward to the final product.

Oh my giddy aunt I'm so excited for this figure. Right now my most anticipated release this year. I have so many ways I want to display him, and I just can't decide what the best set up is. A big part of me wants to have him seated with his pipe, just being Gandalf the Grey, but some adventurous "leading the Fellowship" poses would also look good. The former lets me stretch my creative abilities again and do a small diorama, which could very well influence my choice in this.

First glance of the factory's painted sample.
What do you think?

PS:Hair is not final.

13442358_10153487036506968_4345884941483865897_n.jpg

The phone's lens isn't doing the sculpt any favours and I'd want a good hair/beard colour match - but it still looks good to me. Thanks for posting Hologram!

Does the beard seem to have a tinge of orange to it? Might just be the way it looks on my phone. Still not sold on rooted hair though. Turned out great on Saruman but I am still in the plastic camp.m

I understand the hair is not final it is just in general I prefer sculpted.

Back to looking too old and I'll be damned if it doesn't look like the sculpt is too thin.

Hopefully the thinness is just lens distortion, but you're absolutely right. He's 11 years too old. :(

Glad the hair isn't final on that picture. :horror :lol It'll be interesting to see how the rooting on the widow's peak works out in production.

Sorry but that doesnt look anywhere near as good as the unpainted sculpt from a while ago. That unpainted sculpt (I think with fully sculpted hair?) was a great likeness. This painted factory sample looks off to me.

Wrinkles I think are too deep making him look too old. More concerning for me though is that the left eye looks like it's drooping, similar to the issue with Tauriel. And again I think the head sculpt has been squeezed vertically so that it looks too thin. Are these faults with the factory production process?!?

Likeness way off. Nose too big. Eyes wrong... Simply a bad sculpt. Paint can help but not change a bad sculpt. I'm very sad because after Saruman I was hoping...

THIS was Gandalf. Not that old strange man in the picture above....[emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

Sigh, give it a chance people. The hair will make a big difference once it is all there and properly presented. I know people are concerned about the wrinkles, but if Asmus were to throw this in a box marked Gandalf: Hobbit, it would be perfect

I, like everyone else, love that first sculpt. I'm not sure why Asmus has taken the stance they have with it. At the very least, they should offer it as the replacement Gandalf the White head they have been promising. They could offer a variant with grey hair (or people could paint it themselves) to replace this head. How easy is that? Done and done.

Very excited to see updates as we get closer to the release! Comparing this new quick pic to the display pictures from the Asmus website, this is pretty much in line with the fantastic pictures shown on their site...especially considering this is a hand held picture in a car. :clap I do agree the paint app. on the beard should match properly with his hair.

Gandalf.jpg Gandalf2.jpg

Back