Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can be a lot of things but when casting PVC, it does shrink. Especially in thicker areas. I'm guessing that is what is being seen here in the production head.

Beard is perhaps a bit too rounded/symmetrical. Paint looks pretty good. As has been pointed out he looks too old and the original sculpt is way better. Have to wait until shipping time to decide if i want to keep my order. Might still turn out pretty decent, especially with the hat on.

Comme on guys , have you seen Gandalf recently......?
3e2ddfd8e82f6bb62ba2b5448ce6bcef.jpg

....it has almost anything to do with that sculpt.
I'm not trolling because I wanted too to be good but this is not nearly good enough....

Expecting perfection just leads to disappointment. I've yet to see a company put out a perfect figure. I'm gonna be happy when this is on my shelf, I think it looks great. Awesome work Asmus!

I do not search perfection but many companies have come close or at least they gave us a good enough product like Saruman. This Gandalf ,sculpwise, is a joke with an already reserved spot in the bargain bin. That's really sad...[emoji20][emoji20]

This Gandalf ,sculpwise, is a joke with an already reserved spot in the bargain bin. That's really sad...[emoji20][emoji20]
Good thing there are all those other 1/6 GtG's being made.. Guess you can get one of those....

Cant wait to see this, and considering how Asmus is progressing in comparison to say Hot Toys early releases, I'm happy to be having some decent 1/6 LOTR

Beard is surreal and huge, like a rock hanging on Gand's chin. Ridiculous contrast against rooted hair, which already at this stage looks far more real that any silly sculpt will ever get to. But obsessed fanboys won't recognize that fact. They will in 10 years from now.
Beard should be rooted, like in 303 Toys figures. Eyebrows should be rooted too.
Hairline is dangerously visible.
Please, Asmus, fix things. Give us perfection. Give us some style. You can. We'll pay for it.
Sculpt is ready to go, btw. We shouldn't give a **** about Ian Mckellen.
m.

We shouldn't expect perfection unless we DEMAND IT in exchange for our dear dollars.

We should demand perfection now and always. It drives artists to push envelopes.

If you prefer to take comfort in imperfection. your choice. i don't.

m.

Demand it all you want, there is somebody that's not going happy with something.. So whats perfect for one person won't be for another... To acheive perfection, every person must be 100% happy with the finished product which I don't see happening. If your not satisfied, no one is forcing anyone to spend your hard earned dollars on anything you don't like. In the end it's just a useless toy.. It was stated that the hair isn't finished yet so the gap at the hair line will be fixed i'm guessing.

I think there are some good things and some not so good things here. First of all the clothing looks amazing!

I think from what we can tell in this photo the paint apps themselves look pretty good. Although the beard looks like it has gold/yellow in if. Clearly Asmus states the hair is not finished so we can assume there not supposed to be such a massive gap to the hairline :p

As most have already complained about he looks too old. I'm still wondering why Asmus doesn't release this specifically as The Hobbit Gandalf.
There will always be pros and cons to every decision. Personally I like the idea of a limited deluxe colloctors edition that has two head sculpts, the original that looked perfect as younger Gandalf with sculpted hair. And this one with rooted hair for the hobbit Gandalf.

Anyways I'm looking forward to seeing more photos.

We shouldn't expect perfection unless we DEMAND IT in exchange for our dear dollars.

We should demand perfection now and always. It drives artists to push envelopes.

If you prefer to take comfort in imperfection. your choice. i don't.

m.

:gandalf Well said! :gandalf_w

Decided to cancel my PO after the recent pic. Still amazed they haven't used their initial sculpt which is far superior to this one.

Asmus needs improvement when it comes to hair sculpts. In my opinion, almost all of their figures (LOTR line) suffer from this except with ones with rooted hair (Saruman). I agree that beard looks like stone glued on his face. A softer beard sculpt could make it better or faux hair might be better if done correctly, but sadly I haven't seen one figure with 'real' beard done properly.

I am still hoping for an improvement to Asmus GTG and holding on to my PO.

Updated prototype picture today from Asmus FB Page. This is going to be fun to add to the collection. As with many of these figures, there will be plenty of futzing to be done.

I'm looking forward to a final update with Gandalf sporting his hat as I'm pretty sure I'm going to display him with it on.

Gandalf3.jpg

Back