Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't expecting such excitement! Thanks guys, he was a labor of love. My hair skills have improved since I did their Aragon so I'll be redoing Aragon soon to go with this guy.

It was important to me to strive for accuracy here, so his beard is cut from a different part of the hide than the hair because in real life his beard was more corse. Other small things like sculpting in seamless hairlines and beard lines and adding some subtle pigment to his hair to emulate natural color pattern.

The figuremasters magneto was competely repainted. He sits on a TrueType advanced body and features the ironing pleat mod. That's about it but it's enough to say the figure alone can not look great without a lot of work and money put into it.

I'm not a fan of asmus in the slightest so much so that I'll bite my tongue a bit around these parts of the forums ;)

Since he seems to be a hit let me get some daylight pics up wirh a lower ISO so he's a bit more crisp so you can see the detail more.

Oh and before anyone asks, humbly I wouldn't accept any commissions on this. Ever... whatever I'd charge for the time I put into it I'd probably make more workig at McDonald's! And I'm just over it. That's usually how I get with my customs. One and done.

But I love it and hope it provides inspiration.

I don't want to get too deep into LOTR but the characters I want to add are already all released... ringwraith, sauroman, Legolas and frodo.

Gimli, boromir would be hard to pass up too...

And of course we need a smeagol, but I don't trust asmus. I just need someone to find a way to slightly shrink the NECA one to be in scale because it's just stunning.

Fantastic work!

Wasn't expecting such excitement! Thanks guys, he was a labor of love. My hair skills have improved since I did their Aragon so I'll be redoing Aragon soon to go with this guy.

It was important to me to strive for accuracy here, so his beard is cut from a different part of the hide than the hair because in real life his beard was more corse. Other small things like sculpting in seamless hairlines and beard lines and adding some subtle pigment to his hair to emulate natural color pattern.

The figuremasters magneto was competely repainted. He sits on a TrueType advanced body and features the ironing pleat mod. That's about it but it's enough to say the figure alone can not look great without a lot of work and money put into it.

I'm not a fan of asmus in the slightest so much so that I'll bite my tongue a bit around these parts of the forums ;)

Since he seems to be a hit let me get some daylight pics up wirh a lower ISO so he's a bit more crisp so you can see the detail more.

Oh and before anyone asks, humbly I wouldn't accept any commissions on this. Ever... whatever I'd charge for the time I put into it I'd probably make more workig at McDonald's! And I'm just over it. That's usually how I get with my customs. One and done.

I don't want to get too deep into LOTR but the characters I want to add are already all released... ringwraith, sauroman, Legolas and frodo.

And of course we need a smeagol, but I don't trust asmus. I just need someone to find a way to slightly shrink the NECA one to be in scale because it's just stunning.

Wow, that custom Gandalf is outstanding. The headsculpt on asmus' is what made me pass on the figure, but if a reissue ever came anywhere close to that, it'd be an instant buy. Well done.

Wow, that custom Gandalf is outstanding. The headsculpt on asmus' is what made me pass on the figure, but if a reissue ever came anywhere close to that, it'd be an instant buy. Well done.

Yeah, me too. It's a great sculpt for a wizard, don't get me wrong. But doesn't reming me Sir Ian Mckellen. On the contrary, SS's sculpt does.

0a1f813cbd0727dd880f7a642d4f5f5e.jpg

a7a2249c61e2eb559ae10240e50fff6e.jpg

8b02b1876f7921366282b5355b56565f.jpg

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Was there ever confirmation from Asmus that this GtG would be reissued with the original head sculpt they teased?

That was the impression I had based on what they were saying about the release of the updated heads for Aragorn and the hobbits. But they didn't get specific about their plans. I thought they said they'd eventually be releasing the long promised Gandalf the White head ... and also a new Gandalf the Grey head. But it wasn't clear if they meant the fully sculpted proto we saw early on or a new haired version.

Either way, I would expect them to release heads and Slim versions of each of the characters.

Maybe they could re-release this as an actual GtG from LotR proper, just with the original head sculpt prototype vs. this Hobbit-branded version with the head they released with it. I'm no business expert, but it sounds like a smart idea to me.

Congratulations on your wonderful masterpiece, Raymond.

Can you explain to us the non-followers of this thread what the ironing pleat mod is?

Thanks,
m.

Back