Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the hair paint apps?
Is it correct that the green-eyed version had lousy paint apps on the hair, or was it the first slim batch that had that problem?
Thanks!
m.

Basically the first batch of Slim Frodos had superior paint applications and blue eyes whereas the second batch came with paler skin and dark green eyes. Asmus have since offered a free upgrade to those who bought the second batch and were unhappy with the quality of the head but they have gone quiet since offering this. It sounds like you have two of the second batch sadly. Hopefully Asmus will give an update soon as to when they will be sending out the replacement heads. Hope that clears it up for you.

My memory fails me with Samwise.
Problems with Frodo are clear, but what was the issue with Sam?
Thanks again,
m.

Basically the first batch of Slim Frodos had superior paint applications and blue eyes whereas the second batch came with paler skin and dark green eyes. Asmus have since offered a free upgrade to those who bought the second batch and were unhappy with the quality of the head but they have gone quiet since offering this. It sounds like you have two of the second batch sadly. Hopefully Asmus will give an update soon as to when they will be sending out the replacement heads. Hope that clears it up for you.

Oh yeah.
Thanks mate.
And about Frodo's hair? Wasn't it almost unpainted...?
m.
The Slim release has a bit more paint apps on the hair as well. The expansion doesn't even look like it has any. Looks like its just brown plastic. Screenshot_20181115-085301_Instagram.jpegScreenshot_20181115-085318_Instagram.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m not sure how accurate this is I have 2 slim versions of Frodo purchase from 2 different sellers at different times and both look like the green eyes with no paint

I’m not sure how accurate this is I have 2 slim versions of Frodo purchase from 2 different sellers at different times and both look like the green eyes with no paint
Sounds like you have two Slim's from the second batch.

There was only a small run of the blue eyed Frodos from batch 1 before Asmus decided to change it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You mean that in the first slim batch Sam had brown eyes, in the 2nd batch he didn't?
Are you sure Sam's eyes are exactly brown? I can't find a good pic on the net....

Also, guys, on Youtube you have Kool Collectibles' review of the replacement heads: the hair is less detailed, too! :-(

Regarding the proverbial new Sam and Frodo, Asmus' Rola Chang had this to say:

Q: Regarding the new Sam and Frodo: I am only asking if the plan to re-release them is still in your horizon.
A: We are not doing new version release, at least not in the near future.

I will keep enquiring. Maybe I didn't express myself clearly enough. But what is clear is that no new Sam+Frodo figures will be released. Fingers crossed for the heads.

m.

EDIT: to the owners of the pale Frodo, is Sam also pale? Are Frodo's hands pale too? And Sam's?

Sam also has blue eyes when they should be brown.

The Slim release has a bit more paint apps on the hair as well. The expansion doesn't even look like it has any. Looks like its just brown plastic.

View attachment 433327

Disgraceful.

, Asmus' Rola Chang had this to say:

Q: Regarding the new Sam and Frodo: I am only asking if the plan to re-release them is still in your horizon.
A: We are not doing new version release, at least not in the near future.

That would be unfortunate after Asmus came here and announced that the heads would be replaced.

As many of you know, I have long been a big advocate of Asmus since the very beginning in 2013... but this Frodo situation has me puzzled and very disappointed.

Asmus comes here often to post yet deliberately avoids the questions about the Frodo head.

I have sent a couple emails since the beginning inquiring to him directly -- and he has always been gracious enough to respond -- but in this situation I have not heard a word from him about Frodo.

The silence on this has deflated my passion and support for Asmus. I have to admit, I feel cheated by false advertising...

I now know how the Gandalf and Tauriel people feel...

Last edited:
Rola from Asmus responded with the following back in August when asked specifically about the replacement Frodo sculpts:

"We are still working out the details and will make an official announcement when we are ready."

I would be very pissed off if they go back on their word on sending out replacements. We supported Asmus with these expansion sets by purchasing them directly from them, with the expectation that they would be improvements. To have a small batch of them done right in the slim versions, but then the expansion sets and subsequent batches of the slim having less paint application is "disgraceful" as Wor-Gar has stated.

I really hope Asmus does the right thing here. If they had actually released the expansion set within the PayPal refund period (the release of it actually fell just outside the Paypal refund period), I would have put in a Paypal claim to get a refund. I really hope that timing was just a bad coincidence.

I repeat... gandalf the white replacement head... identical situation... asmus stated here 'people who will buy a gandalf the grey from our webstore and have a gandalf the white doll will receive a new gtw head for free'... after FOUR years nothing... and what about the 'build an orc'?... 'collect all the lotr figures from asmus and you will built an orc figure for free'... i have all the pieces and i can't built nothing because they didn't release the last few parts... luckiky i was able to buy a blu eyed frodo before it was too late... i don't think we will receive a new frodo figure from asmus free...

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

Hold on unless I missed something the answer they gave is that they are not re-releasing them that doesn’t mean they aren’t sending out replacements at some point. It just means there are no plans to make any more complete figures to sell. Also the Gandalf the White headsculpt redo came up after most of us hand the figure in hand and they talked about maybe including it with another figure at first. I don’t think it was ever promised for free. The way I look at it is Sideshow and Hot Toys have never sent out free heads with better paint jobs or sculpts so why would they. I thought the whole expansion pack thing they did so we would not be forced to buy a second figure went above and beyond so while I hope we do get replacement Frodo heads I am not going to start trashing the company for not doing it. I will say next time they need to be careful before they over promise though.

Hold on unless I missed something the answer they gave is that they are not re-releasing them that doesn’t mean they aren’t sending out replacements at some point. It just means there are no plans to make any more complete figures to sell. Also the Gandalf the White headsculpt redo came up after most of us hand the figure in hand and they talked about maybe including it with another figure at first. I don’t think it was ever promised for free. The way I look at it is Sideshow and Hot Toys have never sent out free heads with better paint jobs or sculpts so why would they. I thought the whole expansion pack thing they did so we would not be forced to buy a second figure went above and beyond so while I hope we do get replacement Frodo heads I am not going to start trashing the company for not doing it. I will say next time they need to be careful before they over promise though.

:goodpost:

I agree wholeheartedly. They've gone over and above what just about any other company would have done when it comes to the expansion packs and upgrades and actually interacting with us. Are they perfect? Of course not. Nobody is. But I'm willing to cut them some slack because it's clear they're trying, they appear to be learning, and it's clear they love this line.

Did they over-promise by saying they'd eventually replace all the GTW heads for free? That's entirely possible. But I'm not ready to condemn the whole company for an item that would probably cost $30 bucks if they released it as an expansion. I would happily pay for it. If they can't make the numbers work, that's fine. As long as they're straight with us, I'm cool with it.

Now, Frodo ... as I've said, I think that's more reasonable for them to fix. First, there aren't nearly as many of them that they'd need to replace and second, they should actually have a record of who bought the faulty Frodo heads in the first place (as opposed to GtW).

Now, Frodo ... as I've said, I think that's more reasonable for them to fix. First, there aren't nearly as many of them that they'd need to replace and second, they should actually have a record of who bought the faulty Frodo heads in the first place (as opposed to GtW).

Well its Frodo that we're talking about here, in the Frodo thread. Gandalf came up because it was another promise made long ago that never came to fruition... hoping this is not the same with Frodo but the utter silence even when directly asked is not promising.

Asmus is reading this, clearly, and still they don't answer.

I'm not going to "trash the company", Superdoug, but I will make my mind known, whether its in their favor (which I've done many times) or not (as is the case here).

Here is a Frodo my brother Jake modded the jawline on, repainted, and haired.
e2a8df5a814cf5a7b28c17ffffb4eb3e.jpg
2e15fd8e333561bb2265364cde2cd915.jpg
45b3cb76d55368c4b5bf070647c28b68.jpg

5d48adb9861656d7b5020cf8c3759623.jpg
ac07a91fcb6b5bdf05dcd9860907c634.jpg
f9e52e0c314f52b4383f98348b906c7d.jpg

b9a3802ec7ddd9ea0376ad6b16bbf81b.jpg

Last edited:
Back