Action Figure Asmus Toys: Devil May Cry 5 Dante

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy **** those pictures look good, I asked asmus on twitter and they said that there's gonna be some more (dunno the quantity) Sept-Oct of the Luxury edition available on their website.

Hey everyone! I've been messing around with dante for a little bit now. He's awesome! But i do have a few small gripes. I am nitpicking, and am SUPER HAPPY with how he came out, but these are concerns that some may have! So let me start from the top. The packaging is fantastic. Top quality art, and design. The head is insanely good. It looks identical to how dante does in V. Its the shorter hair version as opposed to the optional long hair in game, but I think it looks fantastic! If you never opened an Asmus before, you might be surprised by the smell of the plastic when opening, but thats to be expected. Every single weapon looks insanely detailed and good! The swords are like past dante swords, you have to push the hand open and roll the handles into his hand for him to hold it. Now, my negatives are VERY nitpicky. Again i want to reiterate that i absolutely adore this piece, but for someone investing into it, you have to know what you're getting into!

Pros:
+amazing head
+amazing coat with unnoticeable wire (compared to earlier dante coats, but with the smaller wire, less posability)
+fantastic weapon sculpt and paint apps

Negatives:
-The magnet for Rebellion has been made less apparent in this dante's coat, however it sits very weakly, and it worries me it may fall.
- The feet may fall off with the boot cuff, as the feet were made to pop out with the luxury balrog parts, however they pop back in quick and easy!
- The devil sword dante and Demon sword Sparda are TOO HEAVY for dante to hold. It will either need to be down, OR propped up on his back. So we can't do that bad ass scene when he shows up to fight Vergil and the Devil sword materializes (Rebellions fine though!)
-Mine had a stitching error on top of the jackets shoulder where a loose thread was hanging. It was easily removable with an x-acto but other people may not want to go and cut anything!
-putting and taking balrog armor off may be annoying. The shoulder pieces require magnets that were included that you need to put into the jacket so they can stay, the boots need to be removed and the foot peg may be stuck in the actual boot, forcing you to remove it yourself with a plier or something, and then even pushing the balrog boots up into the pegs barely works and it may fall off.

My verdict:
The Luxury edition does not really warrant buying it. I think the standard edition has enough with it to be more than satisfied and its cheaper too! The balrog armor pieces are not the best but the gauntlets look sick! They're a cool option though.
Luxury Edition is a 8/10, but taking the price point into account the standard edition is a 9/10. I really wanted the sparda sword for a Sparda custom, and its always nice to have other options for display, so I'd say get it if you are ok dealing with the few hassles.
I hope my review helps anyone who was on the fence thinking about getting him!
2960a775fea5e9f53ac3410c8527ebbb.jpg
df28ee090624beae7a3926cbd766eb29.jpg
cc5f303f992370984700f19e12465f07.jpg
e92cd81ce4246a271094c1d965a3b422.jpg
e1d8b522d04cc5cf6fd3ac74dbed2319.jpg
943c545fb1e62d8eb73d2240bbedaeef.jpg
ca175bc599afe0694468712d28f98bc8.jpg
9dd880fea634853a2385beb13b833522.jpg
b331571ec917a9ad0582adfa83b12027.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These were two cons i forgot to include photos for. As you can see the Rebellion sword just does not look or feel as strong as it should feel connected to the jackets magnet. And here is the small thread i had hanging. Again the thread is a huge nitpick i was able to fix easily but the sword is staying off his back. Don't wanna risk it.

f0a4ee58ae11feec9fa68a5e9e56d395.jpg
7eb0b5a90659a20fb4bc06a0039960ea.jpg

^ Thanks for your feedback. This Dante sure is skinny under that coat. And I thought pizza had a lot of calories. Lol! Anyway, how heavy are the DSD and Sparda? I think that's something that should have been considered or were they considering that it will always be held by two hands?

These were two cons i forgot to include photos for. As you can see the Rebellion sword just does not look or feel as strong as it should feel connected to the jackets magnet. And here is the small thread i had hanging. Again the thread is a huge nitpick i was able to fix easily but the sword is staying off his back. Don't wanna risk it.

f0a4ee58ae11feec9fa68a5e9e56d395.jpg
7eb0b5a90659a20fb4bc06a0039960ea.jpg
You put rebellion on the wrong side. The open mouth with horns should be facing out not on his back. So try to turn it over and see if it stays on better. But I did hear they used a weak magnet for his jacket.

^ Thanks for your feedback. This Dante sure is skinny under that coat. And I thought pizza had a lot of calories. Lol! Anyway, how heavy are the DSD and Sparda? I think that's something that should have been considered or were they considering that it will always be held by two hands?
Lmaooooo, yeah you'd think he would be a little chunkier but this dantes the skinniest yet. Glad you appreciated the review! And yeah i went and tried out what you were saying about the 2 hand method. For DSD you can get it to work, and balance Dante out with it. For Sparda, you need the stand or you'll need to have it touch the ground for it to be safe. I barely got Dante to stand without the stand. Sparda is REALLY damn heavy compared to the other swords. I think DSD may be a little more manuverable but truly rebellions the only one dante can do one handed sword displays with. Wish they considered that more but they're pretty cool display options. But you can see even one handed with sparda, the hand gets dragged out of the peg from the weight.
e9e8bc95874b0b5b02d1c22706ca6cd5.jpg
89105a43bf1cf8544433ff98d1705722.jpg
c4368a1c7de096cb993bb7d581e29f3e.jpg
2730265aa8899f0c3cbfc1f547d11339.jpg
afa625f6b3dc16c88d029782115fea40.jpg
35de88d2a6b1b7b693e6d0084477e13e.jpg

You put rebellion on the wrong side. The open mouth with horns should be facing out not on his back. So try to turn it over and see if it stays on better. But I did hear they used a weak magnet for his jacket.
No, i know it should be the other way! I know my DMC lmaoo. But guess what? Asmus put the magnet the wrong way. It literally will not stick if I put it the proper way. I feel a slight pushback of the magnet if i try it the other way so either they put the magnet in the jacket wrong or in rebellion wrong. Go figure.

No, i know it should be the other way! I know my DMC lmaoo. But guess what? Asmus put the magnet the wrong way. It literally will not stick if I put it the proper way. I feel a slight pushback of the magnet if i try it the other way so either they put the magnet in the jacket wrong or in rebellion wrong. Go figure.

It's probably just the magnet or yours has a issue with the placement inside rebellion. I've seen other figures in FB with it the correct side. But they mentioned the magnet is weak. I feel Asmus didn't double check the polarity before shipping them out and their proto has a better magnet. It also kinda sucks they didn't make DSD and DSS two piece with the inside being hollow so it's lighter I believe both swords are fully sculpted which adds more weight. I was excited for their new body but didn't realize it was V's Skinny frame. Lol

It's probably just the magnet or yours has a issue with the placement inside rebellion. I've seen other figures in FB with it the correct side. But they mentioned the magnet is weak. I feel Asmus didn't double check the polarity before shipping them out and their proto has a better magnet. It also kinda sucks they didn't make DSD and DSS two piece with the inside being hollow so it's lighter I believe both swords are fully sculpted which adds more weight. I was excited for their new body but didn't realize it was V's Skinny frame. Lol
Yep mine was a factory defect it seems. I removed the magnet and its one of the weakest I've seen. I tried a bigger magnet I had lying around and testing both sides, i think the magnet inside rebellion is closer to the horned side, making it stronger either way, which sucks. Regardless, i will definitely modify my magnet and make it stronger, but I might have to still use the horned side. If anyone else has the same issue, you can take an x-acto and slide it along the line underneath the back padding, and you can sew or glue it back later, and no one will even notice.
f70bfc49d4b5f2921d91f2d4dce4238c.jpg
5db76a94e5c63ae609513404cc868bce.jpg
8641e5258e7cd43a838a58367bd5c823.jpg

Yep mine was a factory defect it seems. I removed the magnet and its one of the weakest I've seen. I tried a bigger magnet I had lying around and testing both sides, i think the magnet inside rebellion is closer to the horned side, making it stronger either way, which sucks. Regardless, i will definitely modify my magnet and make it stronger, but I might have to still use the horned side. If anyone else has the same issue, you can take an x-acto and slide it along the line underneath the back padding, and you can sew or glue it back later, and no one will even notice.
f70bfc49d4b5f2921d91f2d4dce4238c.jpg
5db76a94e5c63ae609513404cc868bce.jpg
8641e5258e7cd43a838a58367bd5c823.jpg

That sucks. Seems Asmus didn't think on the QC issues that the figure has I spoke to someone and I mentioned I hope Asmus didn't put more effort into their LOTR line over just putting the same on DMC. Nero is a good example, thankfully Dante came out good but some small issues still are issues.

That sucks. Seems Asmus didn't think on the QC issues that the figure has I spoke to someone and I mentioned I hope Asmus didn't put more effort into their LOTR line over just putting the same on DMC. Nero is a good example, thankfully Dante came out good but some small issues still are issues.
Yeah, whats the worst is, some people can come up with fixes, but others may not be able to, or might not even want to try, and i can't blame them. You spend 2 to 3 hundred for a higher end collectible, you should expect to get your moneys worth. Its unfortunate but thats how figure collecting can be. Also heres a solution if anyone needs to have rebellion be more steady. Use the strap underneath. It might push it out a little but I think it works well enough.
0ab19dda852389ee1529a846d8d100b9.jpg
3e69157c54faaaf0df225c85a3945c7d.jpg

Small problems aside, he looks fantastic! Some of the review photos he just looks straight out of the game, it's great! The head sculpt is the best one they've done for Dante yet. His frame is a little scrawny, but with the coat on it's not too noticable. I'm excited to get mine!

I finally went ahead and bought Nero. I'm going to get the trio with V when he comes out. Plus I want to see if Nero is lacking as many mentioned plus to get him next to Dante. Also about Rebellion Asmus mistakenly put rebellions magnet on the wrong side.

Thanks for sharing the pics @tryvor7! Looks like you had a lot of fun posing him - he does look really impressive! Asmus have really outdone themselves, it's nice seeing him next to the other Dantes. You can just see their craft improving! I really love their Nero is figure too, but next to this Dante figure it really does make me wish they'd given Nero a more animated expression. Nero next to him looks a bit dead in the eyes... like some dead weight ;)

Thanks for sharing the pics @tryvor7! Looks like you had a lot of fun posing him - he does look really impressive! Asmus have really outdone themselves, it's nice seeing him next to the other Dantes. You can just see their craft improving! I really love their Nero is figure too, but next to this Dante figure it really does make me wish they'd given Nero a more animated expression. Nero next to him looks a bit dead in the eyes... like some dead weight ;)

Thanks!
And Yeah, Really, I think DMC5 Nero is one of Asmus' failures.

They need to make an improved version of DMC5 Nero.
Of course, after creating other scheduled characters. :p

Nice touch on Dr. Faust. I need to have it in hand to make the judgment myself but the more photos I see, the more I feel the body is undersized for Dante's actual frame and Sparda looks... small.

Nice touch on Dr. Faust. I need to have it in hand to make the judgment myself but the more photos I see, the more I feel the body is undersized for Dante's actual frame and Sparda looks... small.

MHVYDB1.jpg

It's a shame to point this out now, but since DMC4 dante,
Asmus has made the characters' bodies relatively dwarfed.

Also, Sparda's size is definitely smaller than the original, but it is quite reasonable. (unreasonable = Red queen)
Different people will have different standards, but you will see them with your own eyes. :)

Back