Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'm still a rooted-hair skeptic, I have to admit that several of the conversions I've seen here are amazing (as is Dave Navarro's modified sculpted hair version).

Once manufacturers figure out how to make it work, all our past "plastic-haired" figures will look like toys again.

Its the way of the future ;) A piece of sculpted plastic can't pass for fine hair. It just aspires to be, but it can't get there. Today I re-haired my ACI custom aragorn. Still want to get the Asmus sculpt as well, but these days, I don't see much of a future in sculpted hair.

12946834_10157028298160157_1303950949_o.jpg

Well until I learn how to style toy hair or they perfect it to wear it comes out of the box looking great, I am pulling for plastic.

That being said, there are a lot of people on here with fantastic skill that are making the hair look great and I can understand why they want hair instead of plastic.

8040593584b7aea1581b7522f468fc37.jpg

While we are on the subject just wanted to show you guys chilipeps 66 mod. As many of you are aware his work is masterful. His is what inspired me to do mine. I believe his is a combination of aragorn aci and asmus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well until I learn how to style toy hair or they perfect it to wear it comes out of the box looking great, I am pulling for plastic.

That being said, there are a lot of people on here with fantastic skill that are making the hair look great and I can understand why they want hair instead of plastic.

I very much agree with you. It seems to depend on the character as well. With Saruman, the rooted hair looks great because his hair is long and straight. Aragorn has a totally different do and would be best with a quality sculpted piece, in my opinion. People were able to make the ACI head look pretty good with some effort but I never saw one that was really great. Also, the awesome mods we're seeing aren't rooted - they're applied. I may be wrong but I don't think the application process and materials are feasible for a mass produced situation.

Anyhow, here are some quick before-and-after pics of the mod I'm trying. I used a lino cutter knife to carve out the inside of the hair sculpt so it will sit lower and further forward on the head. It can't save the crazy layered sculpt but it helps the shape a little.

hairagorn1.jpg

hairagorn2.jpg

I very much agree with you. It seems to depend on the character as well. With Saruman, the rooted hair looks great because his hair is long and straight. Aragorn has a totally different do and would be best with a quality sculpted piece, in my opinion. People were able to make the ACI head look pretty good with some effort but I never saw one that was really great. Also, the awesome mods we're seeing aren't rooted - they're applied. I may be wrong but I don't think the application process and materials are feasible for a mass produced situation.

Anyhow, here are some quick before-and-after pics of the mod I'm trying. I used a lino cutter knife to carve out the inside of the hair sculpt so it will sit lower and further forward on the head. It can't save the crazy layered sculpt but it helps the shape a little.

View attachment 256087

View attachment 256088

Wow. That's actually a huge improvement. Looks great!

At least it got rid of the cone head lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ACI special edition came out of the box like this:

IMG_5497.jpg

More than happy with him, one of my favorite figures in my whole collection.

Eowyn looks great next to him too but I need to try and tame her hair down a bit, it is really thick and curly but looks good with the helmet on regardless.

mines like this. Asmus i know you can do a nice jobb with this new rooted aragorn.
image.jpg

The rehairs show just how great of a sculpt this is. I have both the ACI and Asmus. The ACI sculpt is more "pretty boy" the Asmus is more "rugged". I think with the hair redone I'll definitely prefer the Asmus. I was going to send it out to be worked on, but now I'll wait to see if Asmus releases a new one. In the meantime, ThreeZero Jon Snow and Ned Stark, and Pangaea Achilles are going to be heading out for rehairing.

Well I'm happy for all of the hair lovers if Asmus goes rooted. It's just not my thing. Or at least I've only seen it mass-produced a couple of times where it didn’t look funny to me (Saruman and Scarlet Witch come to mind). Still hoping for a definitive sculpted Viggo.

Meanwhile, having fun with Strider here. Mods so far:
- Lowered and repainted hair. Not even close really, but I like it much better.
- Replaced black vest threads with brown
- Dulled down the shine of the coat
- Painted the arm patch and darkened the glove
- Painted sword grip dark green
- Wrapped the arrows in black fabric

Have to say the biggest disappointment with this set for me is the cloak. The material is pretty much un-futzable. No amount of water treatment will tame it and the difference in the material from outside to inside is jarring. Mine was also lop-sided and badly sewn. It's a bummer because I'd intended to display him hood-up, ranger-style but it just looks silly. Also a drag because I guess this will be the cloak for everyone in the fellowship. Going to see if I can track down a SS Faramir to replace it. Aside from that, I love this figure. And Brego too!

Wish I had a decent camera but here are some ipics:

aragorn1.jpg

aragorn2.jpg

aragorn3.jpg

aragorn4.jpg

aragorn5.jpg

aragorn6.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm happy for all of the hair lovers if Asmus goes rooted. It's just not my thing. Or at least I've only seen it done a couple of times where it didn’t look funny to me (Saruman and Scarlet Witch come to mind). Still hoping for a definitive sculpted Viggo.

Meanwhile, having fun with Strider here. Mods so far:
- Lowered and repainted hair. Not even close really, but I like it much better.
- Replaced black vest threads with brown
- Dulled down the shine of the coat
- Painted the arm patch and darkened the glove
- Painted sword grip dark green
- Wrapped the arrows in black fabric

Have to say the biggest disappointment with this set for me is the cloak. The material is pretty much un-futzable. No amount of water treatment will tame it and the difference in the material from outside to inside is jarring. Mine was also lop-sided and badly sewn. It's a bummer because I'd intended to display him hood-up, ranger-style but it just looks silly. Also a drag because I guess this will be the cloak for everyone in the fellowship. Going to see if I can track down a SS Faramir to replace it. Aside from that, I love this figure. And Brego too!

Wish I had a decent camera but here are some ipics:

View attachment 256169

View attachment 256171

View attachment 256173

View attachment 256175

View attachment 256176

View attachment 256177

Well done! Love the display. That redone sculpt is a huge improvement I think.

Back