Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I just ordered some mocha brown color Tibetan lamb fur from eBay (only 6$). Then I used some sculpy to fill the scalp. All in all a fairly easy project. It was my first custom job and I was surprised how easy it was. I recommend everyone doing it with their aragorn. It makes a HUGE difference and the original hair sculpt is so easy to pull off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just ordered the fur off ebay. How much did you end up cutting off and using?

LOL!!! me too!! just this second! ALL over this one!!! that's the Aragorn we DESERVE!!!!

8e2f4c65cf1f49540e96463973f8ec5a.jpg
5e9f7ff801acd09c78b2fa2772097b09.jpg
3650acc1d83c95a10b63dff3d038d96c.jpg
596e12facf10a66975a814b0c93fd887.jpg
36d8a4645026c35aaab6ee9d1bcb565e.jpg

Here are some pics of the material I used. Hope this helps. As far as the length just feel it out. Google pics show his hair reaching a little below his shoulders. Have fun with it! Put some hair spray for the final touch and that's it!

8e2f4c65cf1f49540e96463973f8ec5a.jpg
5e9f7ff801acd09c78b2fa2772097b09.jpg
3650acc1d83c95a10b63dff3d038d96c.jpg
596e12facf10a66975a814b0c93fd887.jpg
36d8a4645026c35aaab6ee9d1bcb565e.jpg

Here are some pics of the material I used. Hope this helps. As far as the length just feel it out. Google pics show his hair reaching a little below his shoulders. Have fun with it! Put some hair spray for the final touch and that's it!

Thanks so much. Looking forward to doing this. I was on the fence about trying to get an aci head. You provided the perfect alternative and the results are awesome.

Thanks so much. Looking forward to doing this. I was on the fence about trying to get an aci head. You provided the perfect alternative and the results are awesome.

Your welcome! Regarding the hair process just remember- start gluing from the bottom going up into the parting of the hair in the middle. Don't do the hair from the top down. Hope this helps. Can't wait to see some of your pics when your done.

Quick, probably dumb, question: When you're gluing on the hair, are you doing it in individual strands? Or clumps? How do you get the part to look neat and even?

I do it in clumps from left to right (or right to left) overlapping as I move up the head. When you get towards the top start gluing towards the center of the head. Do a couple layers on the top part so that you get a nice layered part that looks clean. Put some of the hair in front of the face so you get some nice bangs. I'd also recommend wetting the hair before you glue and dampen it with a towel before you glue. This helps the hair stay together in nice even clumps as you glue. Use a thin brush to lay the strands of hair on the glue.

I do it in clumps from left to right (or right to left) overlapping as I move up the head. When you get towards the top start gluing towards the center of the head. Do a couple layers on the top part so that you get a nice layered part that looks clean. Put some of the hair in front of the face so you get some nice bangs. I'd also recommend wetting the hair before you glue and dampen it with a towel before you glue. This helps the hair stay together in nice even clumps as you glue. Use a thin brush to lay the strands of hair on the glue.

One more thing... Don't trim the hair until you are completely done. Don't feel like you have to get the perfect length starting out. Start off using long strands then when you are finished trim the hair to your desired length.

Gotcha! Thanks for all the tips, man!

But I may try this out first on a random, unwanted head from my parts bin. I really don't trust myself to get this right in one go! :lol

One more thing... Don't trim the hair until you are completely done. Don't feel like you have to get the perfect length starting out. Start off using long strands then when you are finished trim the hair to your desired length.

One more quick question. Does the glue stick to the sculpty with no problem or do you have to harden the scultpy somehow?

One more quick question. Does the glue stick to the sculpty with no problem or do you have to harden the scultpy somehow?

I didn't find the need to harden the sculpy. I like the tacky glue because it's dries clear and sticks very well to the sculpy.

a4480e93b611b8c3e4dccfa28aad50a2.jpg

Here's my aragorn I got from bbts in December. Very pleased with him apart from the horrible hair sculpt. That's why I did some custom work. The hair was very easy to pull off. I think the real hair compliments Saruman better too though I've yet to get him. Sorry for all of you still waiting for sideshow... That sucks hard

Love this pic, he looks fantastic -really excellent work! :clap

Amazing work, Cman! :clap

I may have to do this mod... my Aragorn now looks like he has brown chainmail for hair.

Haha thanks man. I hear that! That original hair was bothering me so much I was tempted to sell him on eBay. The Tibetan lamb hair was his redemption lol

2906aa12f83936867cc36b44bc1953ad.jpg

e8ab38181690648819c0ec66770121d3.jpg

A couple real quick phone pics. I took cman's advice and tried to customize the hair. I think I gave him more hair than cman did, and mine doesn't look as good in comparison, but I like the results in comparison to factory look. I'll still do a little more futzing but I'm content now with the figure.

Back