Asmus Toys : 1/6th Theoden

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the prototype of Theoden and Eomer at NYCC this weekend. Fell in love with them so much, I decided I had to have both, so I figured I would order both directly from Asmus this week. Was pretty excited about it, especially considering that even though LotR is my #1 pop culture interest, I could never get into Asmus' figures because of the headsculpts. I figured I'd be happy with these two considering the helmets could obscure the faces. But now I'm reading about the issues with the hair, both the seam and the detail, plus the soft plastic and potential warping issues, and I can't help but feel I need to reverse course and not get these.

It's a killer. Everytime I get excited about an Asmus figure, there's some kind of horrible issue that makes me decide to back out from getting into this line. Oh well. Guess I'll use the funds to preorder Connor Kenway.

It's just my two cents, but that hair seam, while not ideal, isn't nearly the deal-breaker some have made it out to be. For me, this is a terrific looking figure. Full stop. As is Eomer.

Obviously everybody's mileage varies as to what they find important, but at these prices, I think Asmus is pretty hard to beat right now. They really seem to be hitting their stride.

Again, just my two cents.

^^^ agreed. Very happy to have both on the shelf. But the soft vinyl or similar material they are using can have its issues. Eomer's helm came abit warped, which they found a good fix for with Theoden. But, sadly i had the shield he came with have the same problem.

It can't be that much cheaper to use soft plastics instead of PVC or ABS?

I posted some pros/cons on this figure a few pages back but at this price, I think it's a good figure. Also, he is not a main character so just having him in 1/6 scale and licensed is already great. There won't be another 1/6 Theoden for a long time.

It's just my two cents, but that hair seam, while not ideal, isn't nearly the deal-breaker some have made it out to be. For me, this is a terrific looking figure. Full stop. As is Eomer.

Obviously everybody's mileage varies as to what they find important, but at these prices, I think Asmus is pretty hard to beat right now. They really seem to be hitting their stride.

:exactly: Agree 100%! :rock Both Theoden and Eomer are fantastic looking figures. Asmus are doing a cracking job with the LOTR line...I look more forward to their figures now than I do to Hot Toys releases/announcements.

:exactly: Agree 100%! :rock Both Theoden and Eomer are fantastic looking figures. Asmus are doing a cracking job with the LOTR line...I look more forward to their figures now than I do to Hot Toys releases/announcements.

Haven't had the funds to pick up Theoden yet but he is on must-have list, for me. Everyone has different tolerances but IMO ASMUS over the past couple of years as a company has gone above and beyond and most importantly - kept it affordable. Dunno what folks budgets are like but with HTs seemingly regularly approaching $300 when a few years back AOU Cap, say, was $225 - I mean, depending, I start to get anxious $$$$$

ASMUS has listened to feeback, improved sculpts, improved bodies, and far as I can tell they've always had mind-blowing costumes and accessories. Diecast weapons! So if I gotta tweak something here and there - heat treatment, or re-stitch, or maybe with Theoden smudge in some putty or wax or even thick paint to blur a seam....*shrug*.

Guess I've gotten into 1/6 scale over past few years but it's always something:frank - a bit of gluing, or maybe improving a joint, or sourcing some cool extra parts. I say grab ASMUS figs while u can, 'coz who knows what the hype from the Amazon LOTR series will bring (probably high prices from different companies trying to cash in). No way I am passing on this detailed Theoden with that excellent sculpt.:drool

100%

And personally, I don't think this sculpt is getting the love and respect it deserves. Sure, people complain about the hair seam because it catches your eye. But that likeness is pretty damned remarkable.

100%

And personally, I don't think this sculpt is getting the love and respect it deserves. Sure, people complain about the hair seam because it catches your eye. But that likeness is pretty damned remarkable.

Totally agree! Other stuff I can tweak, and maybe a good painter can improve a likeness - but IMO at the end of the day if the base sculpt is off, at a certain level I figure what's the point. I can outfit a generic sculpt and do it cheaper if I just want a figure. Actually (whenever I have money LOL:lol) I'd luv to pick up some generic 1/6 Vikings and cut them down into dwarves to go with Thorin, for instance.

And sure, ASMUS has the skill set to do up-scale costumes but we'd all be paying for that, too:monkey2. After all, ASMUS doesn't make thousands of these figs that would lower production cost.

Haven't had the funds to pick up Theoden yet but he is on must-have list, for me. Everyone has different tolerances but IMO ASMUS over the past couple of years as a company has gone above and beyond and most importantly - kept it affordable. Dunno what folks budgets are like but with HTs seemingly regularly approaching $300 when a few years back AOU Cap, say, was $225 - I mean, depending, I start to get anxious $$$$$

Guess I've gotten into 1/6 scale over past few years but it's always something:frank - a bit of gluing, or maybe improving a joint, or sourcing some cool extra parts. I say grab ASMUS figs while u can, 'coz who knows what the hype from the Amazon LOTR series will bring (probably high prices from different companies trying to cash in). No way I am passing on this detailed Theoden with that excellent sculpt.:drool

:exactly: I like the fact that most (with the exception of the Crown line) of their prices start with a 1. Over here in the UK it's usually around ?220 -?250 at most retailers for a Hot Toys figure now and that's just basic figures, so with HT I am now just sticking to characters I really, really want and don't already have. Theoden is easily my favourite 1/6 LOTR figure (so far) and the sculpt is just excellent with a superb likeness - hair seam be damned!! :rock

Good point about the Amazon series, that may well have an impact, although at the same time I am really, really looking forward to seeing it! :yess:

That’s where I stand on the figure as well. I really hope they go back and make a 2.0 of Eowyn at some point. I am great full for the one they made but with all the improvements they are making I’ll love to have an updated one.

8b6f16c9f75875ad6697678f5058c1e6.jpg

Asmus is doing their Black Friday sale. 150 dollars for Theoden. Today only and sUpposable 10 only. I couldn?t resist.

Congrats:) - *argh* I'll miss that one...still, so far think ASMUS puts out stuff at a very good retail price for quality.:clap

Back