Asmus Toys 1:6 - Saruman the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GREAT pictures Ahab! :clap

I so want to contribute but I have a few issues with mine that need fixing before I can really futz this guy.

QUESTION: has anyone received a figure with the pants NOT tucked into the boots?

I haven't heard this mentioned, and when I received my Saruman with nicely pressed linen pants it made me laugh.

Anyway, this is really a nice figure -- yes, like all Asmus figures, it will require heavt futzing to make it look right, but this is certainly the closest yet to the subject matter right out of the box.

Things I DON'T LIKE:

1) the belt is very loose -- feels like I could slip it right off him -- and the hard plastic makes it difficult to shape. Would have preferred a real belt.

2) the care with which the figure was packaged could use some work -- many of the nice folds in Saruman's robes are tweaked and made sloppy because of awkward placement into the box. It will require me to re-iron the long-sleeved robe portion.

3) mine came with a glued or melted knee, which snapped free with some elbow-grease and now works fine but left an odd "ripped glue mark" on the knee (petty, I know, but still). Just to be clear, the knee itself works fine now despite the small rip or chip in the knee where the glue broke.

And that's about the only problems I had -- which is good because they're very small issues --

Things I DO LIKE:

1) the sculpt is terrific -- and the hair is fine, just need to tea-bath the white outfit so the hair doesn't look so yellow.

2) the pedestal is INSANE! Might be my favorite part. It's REALLY HEAVY and very sharp, so be careful. The detail work on it is superb. Sharp and jagged, nicely matte, with good detail. Can't wait to get batteries for it.

3) material used -- or rather the detailing on it -- is really nice, and adds depth to the figure what might otherwise be somewhat bland.

OVERALL: LOVE IT! Going to be fun to really work with this and get it looking like some many others here.

In case you were curious, I received #380 of 1500.

Here's what he looks like straight from the box -- linen pants and all:

Saruman 1.jpg

And the pedestal --

Saruman 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Wor-gar, mine came with the pants over the boots as well... Though I confess, I don't know a lot about the ins and outs of the actual costume, so there may be other details I'm not aware of.

I'll definitely be giving it some water treatment this weekend and maybe a Detolf-friendly environment for it to live in, as well.

-Ahab

Wor-gar, mine came with the pants over the boots as well...

Yeah, I looked back at some pictures and I can see that others have him shipped that way as well. I'm pretty sure he didn't wear pants over his boots in the movie and that they need to be tucked into the boots... but someone correct me if that's wrong. I'm so used to pants being inside boots.

Yeah, I looked back at some pictures and I can see that others have him shipped that way as well. I'm pretty sure he didn't wear pants over his boots in the movie and that they need to be tucked into the boots... but someone correct me if that's wrong. I'm so used to pants being inside boots.

I also have the premium format and they are tucked in the boots.

That's good to know. I'm sure they are "supposed" to be tucked in like Gandalf the White's but I couldn't find any proof online in any pictures. Even the close-up boot shot in his death scene doesn't really show anything.

Going to tuck mine in all the same.

That's good to know. I'm sure they are "supposed" to be tucked in like Gandalf the White's but I couldn't find any proof online in any pictures. Even the close-up boot shot in his death scene doesn't really show anything.

Going to tuck mine in all the same.

I think you're right (stop at 2:43)

95516035317227b4dd7355dad6a4686e.jpg

Last edited:
I think I must have been lucky with mine... It was packaged very neatly and the plastic that secures/protects the hair and headsculpt, was put on in such a way that is came out pretty clean. Maybe there is some kind of product you can apply (thinned hair gel or spray) to help lock the hair down?

Cheers
-Ahab

GREAT pictures Ahab! :clap

I so want to contribute but I have a few issues with mine that need fixing before I can really futz this guy.

QUESTION: has anyone received a figure with the pants NOT tucked into the boots?

I haven't heard this mentioned, and when I received my Saruman with nicely pressed linen pants it made me laugh.

Anyway, this is really a nice figure -- yes, like all Asmus figures, it will require heavt futzing to make it look right, but this is certainly the closest yet to the subject matter right out of the box.

Things I DON'T LIKE:

1) the belt is very loose -- feels like I could slip it right off him -- and the hard plastic makes it difficult to shape. Would have preferred a real belt.

2) the care with which the figure was packaged could use some work -- many of the nice folds in Saruman's robes are tweaked and made sloppy because of awkward placement into the box. It will require me to re-iron the long-sleeved robe portion.

3) mine came with a glued or melted knee, which snapped free with some elbow-grease and now works fine but left an odd "ripped glue mark" on the knee (petty, I know, but still). Just to be clear, the knee itself works fine now despite the small rip or chip in the knee where the glue broke.

And that's about the only problems I had -- which is good because they're very small issues --

Things I DO LIKE:

1) the sculpt is terrific -- and the hair is fine, just need to tea-bath the white outfit so the hair doesn't look so yellow.

2) the pedestal is INSANE! Might be my favorite part. It's REALLY HEAVY and very sharp, so be careful. The detail work on it is superb. Sharp and jagged, nicely matte, with good detail. Can't wait to get batteries for it.

3) material used -- or rather the detailing on it -- is really nice, and adds depth to the figure what might otherwise be somewhat bland.

OVERALL: LOVE IT! Going to be fun to really work with this and get it looking like some many others here.

In case you were curious, I received #380 of 1500.

Here's what he looks like straight from the box -- linen pants and all:

View attachment 248895

And the pedestal --

View attachment 248896

Thanks for the overview. I love that pic. Looks like the aftermath of a rough night at the Prancing Pony. :lol

i was also pondering if it is worth to repaint the boots:saruman
image.jpg

because i almost don't see those anyway

I was so mad when I got home and found mine had been delivered....in the pouring rain, by my side door instead of on my porch. The shipper was completely drenched. Luck that it was in a bag inside the shipper. :mad:

Did some work on Saruman before the sun went down...

Coffee bath, water treatment and shaping... I didn't like his light-blue booties so I dry-brushed them with Tan and some dirt... did everything but get the bloody head on.

Saruman 3.jpg

No flash............................flash -- (flash seems to bring out the more pale yellowy color better)

Saruman  COMP 1.jpg

I don't have a great before - after but here it is...

Saruman COMP 2 before-after.jpg

Try to take better picture tomorrow in regular light...

Did some work on Saruman before the sun went down...

Coffee bath, water treatment and shaping... I didn't like his light-blue booties so I dry-brushed them with Tan and some dirt... did everything but get the bloody head on.

View attachment 249671

No flash............................flash -- (flash seems to bring out the more pale yellowy color better)

View attachment 249670

I don't have a great before - after but here it is...

View attachment 249673

Try to take better picture tomorrow in regular light...

Looking good so far, WG. I just got mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to open yet. Question for you: what type of coffee did you use to bathe him in, and you did do an additional water bath after? Thanks.

yes the boots looks better now wor-gar:clap

Thank you.

Looking good so far, WG. I just got mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to open yet. Question for you: what type of coffee did you use to bathe him in, and you did do an additional water bath after? Thanks.

I actually ripped open a couple Nespresso pods -- two -- and dumped the coffee into a paper towel to make a sort of tea bag so the grinds didn't get in the water. Tea would work well too. You basically want dark amber water -- rusty orange is what I got.

I soaked mine for 20 minutes on simmer. I actually tried to get a darker color on the end of the sleeve and the torso portion of the outer robe (like Saruman's) but the pattern on the sleeves is too vivid to make such a subtle difference.

I did wash the outfit after -- cold water to set the color if I was happy with it, and warm water to tone it down if it looked too dark. Some of the costume remains whiter than other parts (i.e. the tunic sleeves) so depending on your preference may require a second ducking.

When it all dries, its much lighter than when you see it wet -- if you are familiar with dying, you know what I mean. So go darker than what you want to see.

I will continue to wet the figure (spray bottle) as I try to find the pose I want, but I don't think the constant wetness will affect the new stain at all. At this point, it would require some bleach to get it out just like a stain on a white t-shirt.

The figure today is completely dry now and looks a bit lighter than the still-wet pictures above from yesterday. I would say the clothing is a cooler cream color now as opposed to a warmer tan/beige. The warmer "brown" of the amber has faded.

Back