Asmus 1/6 Lord of the Rings - Faramir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fly and fight the cloak tie is knotted on each side you just have to loosen the knot on each side and tie them tighter...I adjusted mine and it made a big difference. I noticed the downgrade in materials for the quiver and it was a bummer but I overall love the figure. Oh and with the quiver strap I just ran the strap through the cape hole and under the rear sword scabbard strap.

Shame to hear about some of these issues with Faramir, hope he didn't get rushed into production. Over all he's looking good. Glad I still have the old SS one in case I need to kit bash some elements (quiver, etc .)

Fly and fight the cloak tie is knotted on each side you just have to loosen the knot on each side and tie them tighter...I adjusted mine and it made a big difference. I noticed the downgrade in materials for the quiver and it was a bummer but I overall love the figure. Oh and with the quiver strap I just ran the strap through the cape hole and under the rear sword scabbard strap.

Thank you, Thainitty. Unfortunately, the cloak tie knot was glued together so when I tried to loosen it, the clasp separated from the cloak itself. I'll work on it at another time, as I was frustrated after this happened and the issue with the quiver straps.

I did the same with the quiver strap, as you can probably see from the last pics that I posted. Not perfect but it holds up. I'm considering just replacing it with the Sideshow one, which is actually very well done.

Thank you, Thainitty. Unfortunately, the cloak tie knot was glued together so when I tried to loosen it, the clasp separated from the cloak itself. I'll work on it at another time, as I was frustrated after this happened and the issue with the quiver straps.

I did the same with the quiver strap, as you can probably see from the last pics that I posted. Not perfect but it holds up. I'm considering just replacing it with the Sideshow one, which is actually very well done.
I don’t blame you it’s such a downer when a brand new figure starts coming apart...I’m gonna look into the sideshow quiver :hi5:

Finally got to unbox my Faramir today. As it was pointed out in previous posts, it was pretty obvious it needs some customizing. Fortunately, I didn't sell off my old Sideshow Faramir since I canabalized a few parts, including the belt, quiver sock, and hooded cloak. Not sure if Asmus had a factory miscommunication with their quiver, but there was no way to attach it properly. I pulled the plastic quiver off the strap and reattached it, and also swapped out the clasp with Sideshow's clasp. Back when I customized the Sideshow Faramir, I had dyed the cloak a more olive green. I decided to use it on this Asmus figure. Their cloak is nicer material, but is too brown. Now I'm happy with it.

Faramir Asmus 1.jpgFaramir Asmus 2.jpgFaramir Asmus 3.jpgFaramir Asmus 4.jpgFaramir Asmus 5.jpg

Nice pics, Stephen, and good idea in regards to using the SS hooded cloak. Now that my Asmus hooded cloak is messed up, I may try the SS one as a replacement. I'll definitely be trying the SS quiver, as well.

The Asmus figure is nice but just has a few issues. To be honest, after looking over the Sideshow Faramir, I'm quite impressed with how it has managed to stand up to today's standards (aside from the head sculpt.)

I agree FlyAndFight, the Sideshow figures did have some excellent outfits and accessories (except for my Sideshow Faramir vest, which is now crumbling to dust). I'm still holding onto my Sideshow Gandalf. Hopefully I won't have to use anything when Asmus delivers their Crown version.

Trying to put the sword belt on my figure and something doesn't seem quite right with the buckle - the hook is welded in place.

IMG_9707.JPG

Yep. I forgot to mention that before, as well.

While overall, the figure is very nice, there are some real curious shortcuts and just obvious design flaws that were made.

I've got a dozen figure projects going on at the same time but I'm tempted in bumping this one up in the queue.

Got mine today and my initial thoughts are this is a letdown compared to recent releases like Elrond and Thorin.

The face is just off.. the nose needed to be a bit wider for a start and it comes across looking very much like a toy representation of a character rather than a screen accurate representation.

The quiver belt is far too long so the buckle doesn't sit on his chest as its supposed to but instead ends up around his right shoulder. The sword belt is flaking which no doubt will be an ongoing issue.

On the plus side the sword is up to Asmus' usual high standards and I actually quite like the outfit overall albeit the lack of ankle joints is frustrating as such a small change would improve the poseability significantly.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come from Asmus and I expect to see them back to their usual standards with Aragorn and no doubt set a new bar with Crown Gandalf.

Afore-mentioned issues aside, I think this is a great figure. Really pleased with how he looks on the shelf.

[

Nice pics!:clap I still think he looks great - beautiful details. Looking forward to him but waiting on Sideshow. From your pics looks like he is wearing real suede and leather - impressed the sword is metal; maybe I will put that front and center after all!

We didn't do a 2 parts boots because of the shoelace, we figured if we do a 2 parts design, we inevitably will break the continuity appearance of shoelace,
but I guess it doesnt matter any more... most of the company is doing it.

So, all our future boots/shoes/sneakers will be 2 parts design ~

We didn't do a 2 parts boots because of the shoelace, we figured if we do a 2 parts design, we inevitably will break the continuity appearance of shoelace,
but I guess it doesnt matter any more... most of the company is doing it.

ASMUS you are awesome! For one fan (myself) understand - not sure how that would have looked.

Fantastic news! That was my biggest issue with the figure. Overall it has great shelf presence and I am very happy to have it. The hair seam was not a bad as I thought it would be in person. I don’t even notice it on the shelf. My biggest issue after the boots are the belt straps and buckles. They just feel very fragile and I am worried about breaking them. Not sure what the solution is on that with future figures but on the bright side I did get everything set up without them breaking so far.

Screw the continuity of a boot- poseability is far more important. Or hit the middle ground and use real materials so they move realistically with the articulation.

Hi, I finally got my Faramir.
I didn't expect much of him because I was not very impressed with the proto pictures, but I was still thinking that with a good rehair he would replace my Sideshow version.... Well, no way.
At first let's start with the good points. I like the shirt, the fabric for the green tunic is very good, the coat is great, the cloak is excellent, the boots look good, the sword is awesome... and that's all.
Then, the bad points... Of course the worst of all: he looks nothing like Faramir. I don't understand, the 3D was amazing, but there is something that has been lost when cast... Everything was lost. The face is much too long, too smooth, everything looks weird. And if it was not enough, the skin is too tanned (in my memories Faramir has a rather pale skin) the beard is nearly non-existent, and the hair color is completely off. The sculpt of the Sideshow version was, in my opinion, way way better. The fact is I don't see Faramir at all in this face.
So I made it wider by putting two pieces of wood at each side of the head. It does not looks much like Faramir, but at least the proportions are better...
The tunic... It has some nice sews on the backside, and some horrible ones on the front... Why ?? So I removed them. It's not good looking, but it's more discreet.
The plastic jerkin... it looks like plastic. I really dislike the use of plastic when you can use some noble material. It looks like toy. And it's too brown. Hopefully you can hide it with the coat.
The doublet sleeves, they are ok, but way too dark... Is that hard to choose the right color ??
The belt is average, and the buckle is bad as stated before by some other members. I changed for a Sideshow one.
The vambraces: two identical left vambraces ! I changed for the Sideshow ones.
The quiver: as stated by some member, it's the Sideshow one on their promo pics. And the belt of the quiver is glued the wrong way, you will have to remove it and glue it back if you want your quiver to stand properly. I changed for the Sideshow one.
The... bow ? What's that thing ?? A big chunky piece of square wood, with some random green paint apps... WTF ??? I changed for the Sideshow one.
Oh, you can add that the wrist pegs will hardly handle the weight of the sword.

So I'm really disapointed with this figure. Lately Asmus made some great figures with quality headsculpts and very precise reproduction of what is seen on the movies but this Faramir has way too much heavy flaws. I will be tough, but for me he is at the same level to the Tauriel figure. I will keep my Sideshow version. It is dated, it's custom painted, custom haired, but when you look at it you instantly recognize Faramir. When you look at the Asmus figure you sort of think: "who is that guy that made some strange cosplay of... Faramir the brown ?"
Hopefully I hide the jerkin with the coat, hide the hair and the face with the cloak, replace some parts with the Sideshow ones, but I don't know if I will keep it on the shelve. He just doesn't do the job, for me.
Here are some pics so you can make your own opinion.
:)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

I have to say that your Sideshow Faramir looks great with all of the updates that you did. I would definitely keep that one in the collection as well.

I hadn't noticed the thinner face on the Asmus Faramir until you mentioned it and your widening of it makes a huge difference. I will definitely need to try that as well.

I think Asmus got his eyes right and I think someone who attempts a repaint (after widening the sculpt, as you did) will be able to bring out more of the actor from the sculpt.

My issues with the figure were more quality control-wise. The quiver having the strap/belt glued incorrectly (and the channel molded incorrectly, as well) plus the threads to tighten the cloak at the neckline were glued all together and not knowing that, as soon as I tried to slowly tighten them, the clasp came right off. Frustrating stuff.

I put the figure in the display case and haven't looked at it since then. I will eventually take it out and replace those parts with the Sideshow parts, as well... But I shouldn't have to.

What's amazing to me is that all the great mods to Neko's Sideshow figure - in addition to really bringing out the David Wenham likeness - also bring out a resemblance to Sean Bean. Which is kind of mind-blowing. Wenham and Bean look like they could actually be brothers in real life, but it's really notable with your figure. Very cool.

Back