Statue Arwen Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paint is fine though. There are a couple where it's not washed out plus pics taken at comic-con that show this piece to be very good.

:slap

The paint is clearly not fine. The sculpt may well be there underneath the paint, but as it stands it looks almost nothing like Liv Tyler. And if it is a "washed out" photo, then Sideshow should be ashamed to put such a lousy pictures up as its gallery.

I still see the same sculpt with the paint on it.

Then you are so determined to play the optimist that you will see whatever you want to see. Just curious, how bad would have to be before you criticised it?

The fact many people will buy things even when they are poorly done is one of the reasons Sideshow has been marred by poor quality control throughout its existence. The lower your standards the less incentive someone has to deliver quality merchandise.

The paint is fine to me. I liked what I saw at comic-con and the fact that it looks similar is fine with me. Obviously, people have differing opinions on this piece and other pieces. If I see something I don't care for I say it and if I don't then I talk about what I like.

:slap

The paint is clearly not fine. The sculpt may well be there underneath the paint, but as it stands it looks almost nothing like Liv Tyler. And if it is a "washed out" photo, then Sideshow should be ashamed to put such a lousy pictures up as its gallery.

Then you are so determined to play the optimist that you will see whatever you want to see. Just curious, how bad would have to be before you criticised it?

The fact many people will buy things even when they are poorly done is one of the reasons Sideshow has been marred by poor quality control throughout its existence. The lower your standards the less incentive someone has to deliver quality merchandise.

:goodpost::exactly:

I agree this is not Sideshow's best piece to date but there is no need to call anybody out either. I really don't find if fair or respectful to tell the truth.

If you want your opinions to be respected, you should respect others' opinions and tastes first.

I really don't find if fair or respectful to tell the truth.

What exactly does this mean? It does not seem to make sense to me. You don't find it fair to tell the truth? Am I missing a bit of sarcasm here or did you mistype what you meant. I understood the gist of your post, but this sentence was a bit off to me.

I'm in the camp of those who have not yet ordered, or is waiting for some reason. She's just not firing on all cylinders like the rest of the releases have been. It sucks that I have seen Gandalf in the FS thread for less than retail, and the exclusive at that. I love my Gandalf, and wanted to love this one too. But seeing how great releases are reselling for below retail has me taking a chance on picking her up down the line for less. All other releases have been stellar, aside from maybe Legolas, but hell, he's my favorite character so I had to order him. Arwen, not so much...

I do want her, but I already have three on preorder and the Witch King is around the corner. She needed to be a home run, and just isn't.

I truly hope I am proven wrong. I will eat my words and pay a premium for her later on if she comes out spectacular...

:(

I meant that, to tell the truth, I think calling people out is unfair and disrespectful.

Oh, I get it. Cool. Yeah, we all have our own opinions and that is just what they are.

Damn, I wish I loved this release like all the others. I mean Boromir blew me out of the water, and I don't really care for the character...

Maybe you should wait until in hand pics are shown?

We all know SS's pics always leave much to be desired, and how different (usually better) the sculpts and the paint jobs look once you see them in person.

liv856x279.jpg

Dear God Heaven Help!!! I didn't really realize how far worse this has become till i made some comparisons of sideshows production pics and of liv tyler from the movie. yea its true when they say "A picture is worth a thousand words" and the words thats coming into my mind rightnow is that it stinks. eyebrows wrong, expression of the eyes are wrong, cheekbones wrong, nose wrong, lips wrong, facial structure wrong and even the make up for crying out loud is not there. No surprise here that most people are not seeing liv tyler or arwen in this piece...... because there's just actually nothing here that scream liv tyler. an utter shame really.......ayayay:slap

I think the sculpt needed more softness or maybe a little roundness in the cheeks and bigger eyes. And more color to the face of course.

All but the biggest fanboys should have issue with what we see in those pictures. Too bad as liv was the most important hotty in the movie.

:exactly::lecture

I really, really hope that the finished sculpt's paint-job looks nothing like the pre-production model. We've had countless renditions of all the other characters, but just the Weta Arwen so far (not particularly great) so this is the one I was hoping that SS would nail. She is far too important a character, and we might not see another for a long, long time.

Sideshow, I hope you are reading these posts.

Ordered the Ex - fingers crossed.

Last edited:
liv856x279.jpg

Dear God Heaven Help!!! I didn't really realize how far worse this has become till i made some comparisons of sideshows production pics and of liv tyler from the movie. yea its true when they say "A picture is worth a thousand words" and the words thats coming into my mind rightnow is that it stinks. eyebrows wrong, expression of the eyes are wrong, cheekbones wrong, nose wrong, lips wrong, facial structure wrong and even the make up for crying out loud is not there. No surprise here that most people are not seeing liv tyler or arwen in this piece...... because there's just actually nothing here that scream liv tyler. an utter shame really.......ayayay:slap

yeah it's such a shame because the rest of the sculpt looks fine just the face, and there won't be another one made for a long time. They should just get hot toys to do the head and fire whoever did the paint for her.

What a joke, at $250 you think ss would at least get someone to look at before releasing this. what the hell are those guys thinking

Did they not get Liv's likeness rights? Was the head Trevor's? He usually so much closer than that.

I will say aside from the head its awesome. If I didnt' need the item to look like Liv it would be great, but its out of place next to the rest of the series that looks like them.

Last edited:
Yea I showed the picture of this sculpt to a non-collector of statues and they said, "That's not supposed to be liv Tyler from the movie is it?"

Does anyone have the pictures of the unpainted sculpt shots from a while back? I can't seem to find them. Please post them someone.

Last edited:

And there is definately no hair growing from her ears!

People have said this will be the true test of the longevity of the line - if they can sell Arwen well the line will be a long running success. I'm quite surprised at the level of dislike the statue is getting. I don't think the maquette line will have anywhere near the amount of released the old SSW line had, but i'm sure they'll do all the major characters.

Yea I showed the picture of this sculpt to a non-collector of statues and they said, "That's not supposed to be liv Tyler from the movie is it?"

I got the same response from a couple of friends a few days ago. They said it looks nothing like Liv.

Yeah, usually my wife doesn't point out if its a bad likeness but this one she had to ask who it was and when I said Arwen she said, "are you sure?" Not good if its not even getting the "kinda looks close" crowd.

And there is definately no hair growing from her ears!

Frodo look at that pic again. You can see they were simulating the hair coming across the top of the ear. It looks fairly similar maybe not as pronounced as the pieces on the statue has but she actually had that going on.

Last edited:
Back